TheBlackOut

So, thoughts on the game?

Thoughts? I'll be frank, I 'got' the game and played 3 missions of the Soviets. I'm not really impressed how the acting is and how they react to everything. Reminds me of when the Scrin came in C&C3. Do I just need to keep chugging? Does it get better?

The MP good?

Please, if you're going to discuss specifics, use the spoiler tag. How do you do that?

[spoiler]your text[/spoiler]

your text

(highlight to see)

The game was great, not excellent as some of the factors in it that shouldn't be an issue really DID become an issue later on. A prime example of this being the Empire of the Rising Suns being unable to counter aerial assaults in a swift manner leading to their Shogun Cruisers being shrunk. The Soviets have the Bullfrog and the Allies have their amazing disabling boat (name escapes me). Why don't the Empire have anything? *sigh*

The acting was good fun and reflective of the fun, slightly camp nature of the game. I've done the Allied and Soviet missions but am finding the Empire of the Rising Sun to be a real uphill struggle. Not because I'm a bad player, but because a lot of their campaign doesn't make too much sense. Why, for example, in a mission where you are given a limited number of Shogun Cruisers, can you not then train more and instead have to rely on the Nagante Battleships? *sigh*

The Empire's campaign is reflective of the extra Micro and knowledge of the faction that you need to survive. There are enough anti air options, but you do really have to make use of a unit's secondary abilities, and often pull out all the stops. It perhaps doesn't help that the AI either follows you about, or tries to get itself killed. The whole AI experience is like Babysitting. Perhaps EA did this to make you do online co-op, but in those later missions you do need a real life co-commander, cos the AI is just too suicidal or slow to care. The limited command options and the lack of real response to the commands you do give do not help matters.

The CNCNZ review is supposed to be out today or tomorrow. I've written it already, but then I'll read it over after playing the game again and find that something is slightly innacurate, or I'm just not happy with the statement I've made. So now you'll have to wait until Thursday or Friday.

Unlike C&C 3 though, I haven't ripped this game to shreds :P

Yet, the empaaajaaah still stands.

AWESOME CAMPAIGN :o

Haven't enjoyed such a good C&C game since Red Alert 2.

I guess I'll have to keep chuggin'... Hopefully my dark, cold soul will be lighten up again :P

yea overall the game is exciting and engaging, but ive had pathfinding issues and the AI commander sucks. sometimes he will do all the work, and other times he is just plain dumb.

if there is an expansion they should put serious work into the AI among other things like pathfinding, those are the serious issues i noticed so far.

for instance the apollo bomber likes to sit around right where it drops its payload.

but like saracen said, second abilities are great.

im only up to the 3rd or 4th soviet mission, and i noticed that the cutscenes, SO FAR, have better acting but are similar to C&C3 in that they only involve giving you orders. not much story just yet in the cut scenes.

but thats an observation, not a judgement.

as for favorite side? maybe the empire because of rocket angels and shinobi, but the soviets are alot of fun too...

undecided

Edited by rEdaSbLood

CnC3 > RA3

The AI's pathfinding is HORRIBLE.

The game play is mediocre. DoW and CnC3 were much better.

So far the single player is boring. I have beaten the Soviets and just started on the allies. I found CnC3's story to be much more engaging.

The gameplay is far more strategic, fresh and rewarding than CnC3. CnC3s gameplay was solid, don't get me wrong, but it had almost no ideas of its own.

Pathfinding does indeed suck, but I'd hardly categorize it as failure solely for that.

And please don't advertise torrenting.

The AI's pathfinding is HORRIBLE

So was C&C3/KW.Units got stuck easy, or doing horrible things.

As of Ra3, im VERY glad of one thing.

WALLS

THANK you EALA to re-introduce the walls.

Edited by ORCaLoVeR

last night i was playing a soviet mission and the coop computer SPAMMED subs even though there was barely much water on the map

Well I feel like back in the old days with RA2. The new addition is so far the best game that was made from EALA! It has the very useful sidebar of C&C3, but has the look and atmosphere of a real C&C game!

Mission 2 was superb, be it from an atmospherical, audiovisual or entertainment viewpoint. I love this game so far, even though I have to admit that the FMVs are yet again very talkative, and besides the great intro, there is not much diversity yet. Writing and set design is superior to TW though, and the briefings are excellent.

And the music...beautiful, admirable.

Edited by hagren

WALLS

THANK you EALA to re-introduce the walls.

Yes, but unfortunately, RA2's walls were better.

This game is getting better and better with every minute. The locales and soundtrack are extremely diverse, and the gameplay is immensely enjoyable. I'm up to Soviet mission 5 and loving it so far. Had two CTDs though, which is a tad depressing. Luckily the game saves often enough.

when on the allied campaign with mount Rushmore why all of a sudden you need to kill ackerman

just with any info they tell you to do that

i wanted to see more of him :huh:

Yes, but unfortunately, RA2's walls were better.

walls = cash

because two wall segments with the wall in between = $40 but when you sell each peace you get 5

so 5 X like 10 you just made 10 more dollars YEAH

SP wise, its alright I guess. The missions are a little harder than previous games which was nice.

MP wise, same old story, EA can't do anything right. Stats don't exist, automatch is buggy as ****, blah blah blah.

But aside from that its a good game. :)

when on the allied campaign with mount Rushmore why all of a sudden you need to kill ackerman

just with any info they tell you to do that

i wanted to see more of him :huh:

That was a little strange. You wouldn't expect something like that from the Allies.

Another oddity in the Allied mission on Cuba,

the Kirov airships are supposedly all carrying a 50 megaton bomb. The only such bomb to have existed was the Tsar bomb, which was nuclear... except nuclear bombs don't exist in this timeline... interesting...

In response to Nmenth

Indeed but you have to consider that Dr. Gregor Zelinsky actually defects from the USSR in that mission. You therefore have to wonder whether Premier Cherdenko, knowing about nukes, hasn't made the Dr build these weapons so that the USSR could use nuclear tech. Obviously with limited materials, a similar version of the Tsar bomb is what's strapped those those Kirovs.

In response to Nmenth

Indeed but you have to consider that Dr. Gregor Zelinsky actually defects from the USSR in that mission. You therefore have to wonder whether Premier Cherdenko, knowing about nukes, hasn't made the Dr build these weapons so that the USSR could use nuclear tech. Obviously with limited materials, a similar version of the Tsar bomb is what's strapped those those Kirovs.

Possible, I suppose, in such a universe as this... :unsure:

Tsar bombs still hold the record for the largest yield from nuclear weapons though, I find it hard to believe Zelinsky would be able to so quickly construct them. Now if the Premier had little fission nukes built, I could go along with that.

Completed the Soviet campaign, and I had a ball playing it. Incredulously entertaining campaign, great maps, astonishing music. RA how it is supposed to be.

I've only had the game since last Friday. Haven't been feeling that good for the past few days but I have managed to play a few skirmish games and I'm on to the 6th Soviet mission. And guess what I actually feel like going back and playing more, unlike C&C 3 and Kane's Wrath.

RA3 is great, it the best C&C EALA have produced.

just finished playing all 3 campaigns, pretty dang sweet, worth one or two more go arounds maybe more. Still not sure how this fits cannonically in the RA-verse but maybe it takes precedence over RA2 or YR..... :ra3: ftw

I've only had the game since last Friday. Haven't been feeling that good for the past few days but I have managed to play a few skirmish games and I'm on to the 6th Soviet mission. And guess what I actually feel like going back and playing more, unlike C&C 3 and Kane's Wrath.

RA3 is great, it the best C&C EALA have produced.

Yet, it's still met with bias and prejudice. Sure, there's no plot, yes the FMVs are short, but man, that music! Those varied and pretty levels! The imaginative units! The enjoyment and hilarity! But no, people cry for SupComs and CoHs, and do not realize that those gameplay mechanics would not fit CnC, and that it simply isn't just tank spam anymore.

Anyway, I'm off now, it's 3.37 am here and I have to sleep. But first, I listen to the soundtrack CD :P

Up until now I played RA3 and had a blast, even though before I was down due to inane opinions. And tomorrow I'm going to continue since the CnC-Files review does not write itself :D

Edited by hagren