Mr_Lee_

Primary Tactical Issues

Greetings one and all,

Having played the campaigns and numerous skirmishes, I have encountered a few tactical 'issues' and was wondering if anyone would be kind enough to offer some insight for me. These issues seem primarily based around the Allies and the Empire of the Rising Sun:

1) How can the Empire of the Rising Sun expand for more Ore efficiently mid-game?

This issue looms mid game when the Soviet Union and the Allies have very obvious small 'expansion' units, the Empire has it's mobile buildings allowing setup anywhere. This should not cause a problem overall but when playing a canny opponent, the moment such a refinery core appears a squadron of bombers or anti-tank units appear like magic, blow it away for a minimal sacrifice to yourself. The Soviet Union can simply Iron Curtain their Sputniks and deploy the refinery as soon as the Sputnik is deployed, and the Allies Chronosphere means a sufficient presence can see a refinery deployed with base defences in an instant. The Empire has to transport 3/4 Cores then let them deploy, then wait for construction to finish while mounting a defence. It sounds simple but it really isn't. Inversely, the Empire are the easiest to expand with early game, but having to focus a lot of resources on early expansion seems a bit silly.

2) How do you stop the Soviet MiGs?

The anti-air unit of choice of the USSR is the MiG. This unit can shoot down anything else in seconds and retreat before you can effectively deal with it. This is also when it reloads and brings another salvo of death to your aerial units. This wouldn't be a problem if the units needed to counter these threats actually did their job efficiently. The Soviet Bullfrog is too slow, as is the Minigunner IFV and the Striker VX. Other air units can't do it as they get ripped to pieces before a real counter assault can be launched and the MiGs rarely go on the offensive meaning they avoid base defences.

Once again this causes more issues for the Empire* than the Allies or Soviets as two of their primary units - the mecha tengu and the Striker/Chopper VX are meant to be versatile using their abilities to fly rather than be amphibious - a trait unique to the Tsunami tank. The tengu can fight back momentarily in this incidence but their bullets are ineffective against the MiG and were clearly designed with Helicopter hunting in mind. Perhaps it is more inefficent resource use on my own part here, but being shot out of the sky every time I try and counter assault a squadron of Twinblades using Tengu really is an annoyance and the VX end up being ripped to pieces by the Twinblades or the hammer tank they are always carrying.

*This is as an aside to the obvious source of AA in the form of Yuirko.

3) Are the Soviet Union the better of the trio of factions?

This conclusion is the most personal of the three. Playing as the Soviet Union I find it hard to lose. I have always adored the Soviet Union and found them to be the better faction in previous games (Yuris Revenge aside) and RA3 really seems to give them the beef once again. They seem to be able to do everything and do it better than average.

• Aerial Assaults? Kirovs and Twinblades with MiGs for protection is superb.
  • Ground attack? V3 rockets coupled with Hammer tanks and Bullfrogs won't fail.
  • Infantry rush? Bullfrog them in and watch them spread like wildfire behind enemy defences.
  • Naval Destruction? Dreadnoughts supported by Submarines and Bullfrogs (recurring theme maybe)

Combine the above and what occurs is one of the guiding principles of war - being strong. The ability to simply do anything and do it well means that something in the enemy tactical situation is going to give leading to the advantage being pressed in that area. This means the hole will be plugged leaving deficiencies elsewhere thus the Soviet Domino effect occurs - a player can't be everywhere at once and something gives. Usually this is going to be the inability to deal with long and short range attacks simultaneously resulting in V3 rockets and dreadnoughts getting the drop on you in the blink on an eye. This is all considered before the full ramifications of the Soviets exceptional offensive abilities and the Iron Curtain are even considered.

I could go on all day!

Obviously, this was intended to invite comments, so please, comment away!

- Mr Lee

Edited by Mr_Lee_

2) How do you stop the Soviet MiGs?

I agree with most of the things you said, but MiGs are counterable. Remember Mecha Tengu cost less and don't require an airfield (not to mention the anti-infantry mode). Obviously, they're not as good as MiGs. Just mass them and they'll rip the MiGs apart. Use the fact that they don't have to reload to your advantage.

Pretty much the same goes for the allies fighter. Also, those machine gun equipped fighters seem much better vs Kirovs since they almost don't have to reload.

1) A small issue if one at all. I mean its just as easy for you to bomb his expansion attempts as Allies as they are forced to use their expansion vehicles if they don't want to lose their tech. Soviets just move their MCVs so yeah can't do anything about that.

2) VXs kill Migs.

Tengus kill Twins.

Don't try and swap their roles as they will die. :)

This also applies for the Allies with Vins and Apollos.

The trade off is versatility, instead of hard counters. The Allied and Soviet counterparts generally speaking do their job much better, but that is because its the only job they can do.

3) Eh, I like the Soviets no doubt about it, my favorite faction. But a lot of peeps like the Empire it seems. Tengu micro is kinda narly if your good. Kinda funny if your not though. :P

Yeah sovs is truely the best faction I play with, but I must say the Empire's infantry kick some serious ass.

i'd say empire is best because tis easy to expand early...

but really the game is pretty well balanced

yeah, i've noticed soviets are a bit powerful... maybe that's why they dont' have many scout troops/abilities. Allies i've noticed are heavier on air support... Maybe naval. Empire is difintiely a micro nightmare, but if you're good, it's a nightmare to counter. I usually like to hit and run using helicoppers.

I usually like using the heros too. Empire's hero is pretty crazy against units/infantries (if you cna juggle), and decent against planes. It's pretty good against buildings too. Soviet's is insane... I mean, far range shooting, laser marker for buildings and tanks, and then a crazy special abilities when you're against 2 anti-infantry tanks (assuming you wnat to risk her in the first place). Allied's tanya... she's only alright... I've noticed her range is short.. and reaction speed is slow too.... She usually get hit by a bullet or two before she can kill them off. Her C4 can be hard to plant espcially if the tanks can run away, or if the building is war guarded. The timebelt is useful, but how useful?