Sign in to follow this  
rugame69

Can't install yuri's revenge

I installed Red Alert 2, then tried to install Yuri's Revenge. Entered cd key and it starts to install, but stops about every 19% error message :error copying langmd.mix" tried installing two patches for RA2, one at a time, then installing Yuri's .... but still keep getting error message "can't read langmd.mix" it always gets to 100% when I keep hitting resume, but won't run. What suggestions does anyone have that will help. System is Win XP Pro (all updates) 512mb video (radeon) 3gb memory, Soundblaster Audigy, 2 500gb hdd, all original and legal game disks and cd keys.

Edited by rugame69
No oversized ugly fonts please

This only happens with illegal copies.

Not so, I own a gaming center and all my software is legit. Totally legal. I used it before on my old machines and now I'm re-installing it on the new ones due to customer demand. Total Annihilation works fine, as do all versions of Dune and Railroad Tycoon, Civilizations, Counter-Strike, Medal of Honor, etc. It's only Red Alert 2 (Yuri's Revenge) that I'm having trouble with. Red Alert 2 works just fine until I try to add the expansion of Yuri to it.

Edited by rugame69

Then your disc is probably dirty. Clean it properly and try it again. And patch RA2 to 1.006 before installing Yuri's Revenge.

Then your disc is probably dirty. Clean it properly and try it again. And patch RA2 to 1.006 before installing Yuri's Revenge.

Not a dirty disk. I have four (4) legal sets of Red alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge. They all worked on the old machines, none work on the new machines. The old ones used Windows ME as an operating system, the new ones XP Pro. Other than that, the new ones have faster processors, more memory, bigger hard drives, better audio, better video ... gamers. None work (Yuri's) Red Alert 2 works, just can't add the expansion pack to any of them. I un-installed, and re-installed, using the patch you recommended before trying to install Yuri's ... still won't go. I might as well give up on Yuri's. At least Red Alert 2 works. That's better than nothing at all, I guess. I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that all the machines have other Westwood software on them (Dune 2000, Emperor - Battle for Dune, and both had the internet registration thing installed?

Edited by rugame69

If four copies of Yuri's Revenge all act the same way, it would seem obvious they are not at fault.

Could your CD drive be having trouble reading the disks?

If four copies of Yuri's Revenge all act the same way, it would seem obvious they are not at fault.

Could your CD drive be having trouble reading the disks?

I doubt it, all 4 machines have cd-roms and dvd-cd on them, tried both methods ... still nothing. Too late tonight to try anymore, been at it all night. Time for some sleep. Might try again tomorrow un-installing the other Westwood software, then installing Red Alert 2 first, then Yuri's, then if that works, finsh up with Dune 2000 and Emperor - Battle for Dune.

Edited by rugame69

Tried running the YR install in Windows 98 compatibly mode?

Tried running the YR install in Windows 98 compatibly mode?

I know how to go into properties once installed and play them in win 98 config, but how do you install them in win 98 config?

Edited by rugame69

Copy the installer to your desktop and try the same thing. You could even copy all of the files to your hard drive and run it that way.

how do you install them in win 98 config?

Start -> Help & Support -> Fixing a Problem -> Application and Software Problems -> Getting older programs to run on Windows XP -> Start the Program Compatibility Wizard -> Follow instructions, check options, install game, tell it if you want to keep compatibility settings.

Try reinstalling ra2 add the patches then YR add the patches and then run.

Try reinstalling ra2 add the patches then YR add the patches and then run.

Thanks for all the help. Now, can you all tell me what and where I get all these patches and which ones are the latest and greatest? I have the one suggested 1.006, and one from gamespot for Yuri's, 1.001 I'll try re-installing once I have all the patches, map packs, etc.

(oh, by the way ... it should be: I helped my Uncle Jack, off a horse. Don't forget the comma) :lol:

Edited by rugame69

Thanks Sonic, just want to make sure I have the "correct" patches. Didn't think to look here, just thought this was forums only .. didn't look any farther, my error.

Thanks Sonic, just want to make sure I have the "correct" patches. Didn't think to look here, just thought this was forums only .. didn't look any farther, my error.

Ok, I've tried every suggestion given me, including going out and purchasing another disk for the cd key and it still stops every 19% and gives the same error msg. I guess I just can't run Your's on my machines ...will have to settle for just Red Alert 2 until I get some Red alert 3 disks.

Perhaps there is some sort of background software like an anti-virus scanner or something similar causing problems.

Perhaps there is some sort of background software like an anti-virus scanner or something similar causing problems.

I use Avast! anti virus and SUPERantispyware programs. I'll try shutting them both down and installing again.... wish me luck, this is getting really frustrating. :unsure:

I use Avast! anti virus and SUPERantispyware programs. I'll try shutting them both down and installing again.... wish me luck, this is getting really frustrating. :unsure:

Turned them both off, wa able to download upgrade to newer version, but still locks up at 18% like before when trying to install Yuri's. I give up. It just won't go.

Edited by rugame69

If it stops reading your discs, your disc is damaged or dirty. Properly clean them with alcohol you use to clean laptop/LCD screens and a lintless rag and you should be okay.

He said he even bought a new disk. It can't be that.

Buy a new computer...

If it stops reading your discs, your disc is damaged or dirty. Properly clean them with alcohol you use to clean laptop/LCD screens and a lintless rag and you should be okay.

They can't be all dirty, including the new one. I've put all the time into trying to install them as I'm going to. I've tried 5 different disks on 5 different pc's. Their just going to have to play other games. Thanks anyway for all the help. (I even used Disk Dr on them) As far as buying new pc's ... these are all hand-built customs, I'm not about to have all my pc's replaced for one lousy game. I even tried installing them just now on my laptop and it won't install there either. There's something wrong with the software (Yuri's) itself and XP Pro ... they're just not compatible (even using the win 98 compatability install mode suggested before)

Edited by rugame69

As far as buying new pc's ... these are all hand-built customs, I'm not about to have all my pc's replaced for one lousy game.

That was a joke, no need to call YR a lousy game over it.

Didn't realize you used five different computers... interesting.

Can't be disks, can't be drives...

I'll wager it's some obscure setting you have applied.

Question, have you tried The First Decade version?

Edited by Nmenth

That was a joke, no need to call YR a lousy game over it.

Didn't realize you used five different computers... interesting.

Can't be disks, can't be drives...

I'll wager it's some obscure setting you have applied.

Question, have you tried The First Decade version?

All my disks are the ones I bought when the game (Yuri's) first came out way back in 2001 I believe? The expansion pack is the Path to Domination. The newest disk I tried is the same as the rest. No, I didn't go out and buy "The First Decade" I believe even the original version should continue to work, that I shouldn't have to buy a recent release of the same game just to get an older version to work. All my other "classics" work fine, even plain Red Alert 2. It's just the Yuri's Expansion that won't install or work. And, if a company makes you buy a newer release just to play the game one originally purchased at retail just to make more money, yes, I still say it's a lousy game.

Edited by rugame69

I cant seem to find working links at the moment as the old ea tech support pages don't seem to exist but installing a safedisk update was what solved my similar problem with Yuris