Sign in to follow this  
Luk3us

What to get in 2009

Small list of must haves:

• Metal Gear Solid 4 - (only buy if you've played the prequals on the other Playstations, or you'll be like WTF!?)
  • Fallout 3 - Despite reviewers saying the PS3 version is more buggy than other versions, it's been patched
  • Saints Row 2 - Funnier, more offensive, and actually more enjoyable than GTA4. Somewhat buggy right now, but a patch is coming.
Others worth some serious consideration

• Midnight Club: Los Angeles - If you like arcade racers this is the game to go for. Not quite as good as Burnout Paradise (Check bargin bin for that) but it has more customisation... and it craps on the Need For Speed Franchise (which is truly pants!)
  • Resistance 1 & 2 - This is the PS3's exclusive landmark FPS. It's fun, gritty, and the MP is suprisingly good!
  • Sid Meier's Civilization Revolution - Not an exclusive title, but if you like Civilization, this is a must have. A little simpler than its PC counterpart, but still utterly engaging.
  • Valkyria Chronicles - Petroglyph say they're creating an Action Strategy RPG genre. Here's a game (and several hundred before it) that's already done it. Although a turn based JRPG at heart, this PS3 exclusive is a superb sleeper hit and beside Civ is the best strategy title on the PS3 bar none.
  • Warhawk - A purely online only third person shooter, this is the PS3's version of Battlefield, but just as good in my eyes.... it came out a long while ago, but still a benchmark title for the console. It's probably cheaper on PSN still than in the shops, so shop around for it.
There are plenty more games about, but these are the titles I personally own, and are definite keepers for me. I've put Saints Row 2 down as a must have because I think it's better in some ways than GTA4. It has some great subtle humour, it laughs in the face of political correctness, and the missions don't ever feel like a chore. The mechanics aren't as solid and it's not as polished, and for some reason right now the game frigging crashes every single time I wanna save it... but providing the patch sorts it, the game is a must have, and is extremely fun to play!

Are the burnouts still awesome?

God I love the Midnight Club series. That's the only one of two things I miss from having a console. The Midnight Club series and the NHL hockey games (though they're slowing coming onto the Wii, but the EA version hasn't yet... =/). God I spent a lot of time on Midnight Club: Dub Edition on the PS2, it was a blast.

Only game that I am deeply looking forward to is Hearts of Iron III in 2009.

I recently bought GTA4 (even with the DRM) and Fallout 3, so those should hold me over for a long time.

I recently bought GTA4 (even with the DRM)

How could you? You hypocrite... DRM laughs in its latest triumph.

Are the burnouts still awesome?

At the beginning of 2008 I did a review on Burnout Paradise. The review still holds true. They've also patched in motorbikes and made a few very solid changes since... so really after you read that, the answer is still... yes. ;)

God I love the Midnight Club series. That's the only one of two things I miss from having a console. The Midnight Club series and the NHL hockey games (though they're slowing coming onto the Wii, but the EA version hasn't yet... =/). God I spent a lot of time on Midnight Club: Dub Edition on the PS2, it was a blast.

Only game that I am deeply looking forward to is Hearts of Iron III in 2009.

I recently bought GTA4 (even with the DRM) and Fallout 3, so those should hold me over for a long time.

You refused to purchase RA3 but brought that godawful port known as GTAIV PC?! And Fallout 3 had Securom as well, but at least that's a worthy purchase for the first 20 hours or so.

You refused to purchase RA3 but brought that godawful port known as GTAIV PC?! And Fallout 3 had Securom as well, but at least that's a worthy purchase for the first 20 hours or so.

I was thinking the same thing has Hagren posted. The DRM in RA3's is only minor compared to the likes of GTA4 PC. Even more so since the DRM changes introduced in patch 1.05.

How could you? You hypocrite... DRM laughs in its latest triumph.

1) RA3 wasn't that good in my opinion anyways. I actually got bored half way through.

2) Steam version has no DRM, but don't have money to buy it (the games I bought, GTA4 and Fallout 3, was with gift cards)

3) I'm wasn't going to buy it anyways cuz of #1

I still hate DRM but at least with GTAIV I still get unlimited installs.

I don't think it's god awful... I waited for the patch for a reason. Fallout 3 had SecuROM, yea, but only to check discs: http://bethblog.com/index.php/2008/10/30/f...for-disc-check/

No limits on installs or anything.

I was thinking the same thing has Hagren posted. The DRM in RA3's is only minor compared to the likes of GTA4 PC. Even more so since the DRM changes introduced in patch 1.05.

How so? RA3 is limiting, GTA4 is not. And I don't know this for certain, but at least Rockstar tells you how to uninstall SecuROM completely, EA doesn't. Also, from what I remember, RA3 authorizes each time you uninstall, install, the game. GTAIV doesn't.

I really don't see how it's minor.

Well, the port is godawful- Long install, a plethora of registrations and added programs needed for running the application, no AA, massive problems with Ati cards, numerous visual bugs, extremely high system requs, slow performance...I'm just saying that I don't really see why you support this when you refused to support DRM.

EA also tells you how to uninstall Securom btw.

And I know that F3 has no installation limit, but it doesn't change that the CD copy protection can cause software issues. My PC, for example, crashes at startup if I keep the F3 disc inside after shutdown.

Lastly, if you don't change your hardware or software seriously, RA3 does not eat up another installation.

Well, the port is godawful- Long install, a plethora of registrations and added programs needed for running the application, no AA, massive problems with Ati cards, numerous visual bugs, extremely high system requs, slow performance...I'm just saying that I don't really see why you support this when you refused to support DRM.

EA also tells you how to uninstall Securom btw.

And I know that F3 has no installation limit, but it doesn't change that the CD copy protection can cause software issues. My PC, for example, crashes at startup if I keep the F3 disc inside after shutdown.

Lastly, if you don't change your hardware or software seriously, RA3 does not eat up another installation.

*shrug* I haven't had one problem with GTA VI yet and it's performing well on my rig while still looking nice.

too many bad rumours going about with the DRM stuff xD i know it's godawful an all that... but it's not like every game is gonna have every problem is it? and any game you get is gonna have at least one error with it, that's just the nature of gaming xD

anyhow. methinks resistance, fallout and little big planet o.o though i'd say get fallout for the pc... but that's just my personal preference with mice and keyboards 83

also, C&C has pretty much died recently to be honest. RA3 was a nice refresh but i don't think it hit the heights of RA2 and YR... not really a bash against the game series itself, more against EA :\ but there are a lot of strategy games out there. and i'm still standing by dawn of war. i've taken to playing it again recently a lot.

there's an awesome mod for dark crusade - "firestorm over kronus" it was designed for the original game and it's evolved with the expansions... the whole mod is basically making the game more table-top realistic. it's still a beta, so there are a few bugs, but it is a completely different game. they've included a few lil thingies in there which i LOVED such as two gameplay options - "massive armies" (as you can guess, it gives you quite a large force to play with... which is a lot cos the squads are now real sizes. a guardsman squad can have a maximum of 25 infantrymen in it, including two sarges and a lieutenant x3)

aaaand "heroes" which basically allows your units to gain experience. it's not as properly done as, say, the C&C experience... the way they have done it is when you click a squad a bit of writing on the left gives you the experience level. and you get bonuses (the space marine force commander usually has about 1200 health total. at legendary he has about 17,000 health total XD and he runs like a goddam sprint chaser XD;; )

dawn of war 2 is gonna have some different functions in (the experience levels, but done properly) and it will have REALLY fancy in-game graphics... but the engine they are using... :\ modding doesn't work with it. and you'll only get 4 races (so far confirmed) in DoW2 ._.; so the rest will probably come in expansions an stuff :\

but yah, SC2 is -REALLY- gonna have to work hard to impress me, cos i highly doubt it's gonna make me choose that over the DoW games...

At the beginning of 2008 I did a review on Burnout Paradise. The review still holds true. They've also patched in motorbikes and made a few very solid changes since... so really after you read that, the answer is still... yes. ;)

Sweet I love those games :D

Ok "can't be arsed using google questions" coming up:

@Mina: what factions are coming to D0W2 (you better say tau)

@people with Little big planet: what do you exactly do, the adverts dont go into much detail.

EDIT: It's interesting to see the lack of interest in C&C atm.

Edited by BioBen

It's interesting to see the lack of interest in C&C atm.

It's the lack longevity in the modern titles. If the quality isn't there, people will play it and then move on. Plus with the 3 other RTS heavyweights (DoW2, SupCom 2 & Starcraft 2) on the horizon, there's better quality titles to be had in 2009. Also, the Console RTS games such as Halo Wars and Stormrise may join the ranks alongside Endwar as being great next gen RTS titles. With so much possible choice this year, C&C is nothing more than a mid-range game these days.

I disagree. Halo Wars is a joke (Just look at the full unit list), DoW2 isn't a true RTS (Not to mention that there's only one campaign), we know next to nothing about SupCom2, and SCII will be only great for polish, not necessarily for the rest (That game is the only one I'd consider being universally better than RA3 from all the new releases, though).

Lack of interest is only apparent since there's nothing new announced in the CnC world at the moment.

Also, fans of other franchises are more zealous than our fanbase.

Edited by hagren

How is DoW2 not a true RTS? SupCom I sucked imo... just not my style. I dont think II will be better.

Because it focuses on few, small-scaled troops, powers, boss battles and item management. That's more of a tactical action-RPG than RTS imho.

Variety is the spice of life hagren. If the industry was to stick with the concepts that you believe to be of an RTS nature, the genre will never move forward.

In fact that's half the problem today really. There's too much "staple" crap in the genre which prevents innovative steps forward.

Variety is the spice of life hagren. If the industry was to stick with the concepts that you believe to be of an RTS nature, the genre will never move forward.

In fact that's half the problem today really. There's too much "staple" crap in the genre which prevents innovative steps forward.

Yea, I agree with that.

Variety? How is taking out features and turning an RTS into an RPG "Variety"? Diversity is all good and dandy IF it's groundbreaking, artistic or imaginative, but in this case, it's only a sharade for reviewers and marketing managers to convince half-wits and have something to babble about.

Besides, Worldshift was built around the exact same concept and gameplay, not to mention that there were enough tactical games ot its kind, let alone the fact that Relic is only re-using the formula they've been releasing since the first DoW.

Lastly, you should know as well as I do that innovation is but a slice of the game as a whole. I'm the last one to cry about gameplay traditions, but in this case, it's a disgustingly hyped pile of mediocrity.

On a side note, I simply like to build and do not view games omitting this very feature as special at all. There are enough games with similar gameplay across all genres, why take this away and turn the game into something universal? WiC among others did manage to keep a strategy game without structures interesting, but DoW2 doesn't seem to be anything redeemable at all to my mind. It's a dumbed-down, MMO'd Commandos in space, imho.

Edited by hagren

Variety? How is taking out features and turning an RTS into an RPG "Variety"? Diversity is all good and dandy IF it's groundbreaking, artistic or imaginative, but in this case, it's only a sharade for reviewers and marketing managers to convince half-wits and have something to babble about.

Such a thing is no different from EALA's so-called "innovation" in RA3. That game had about as much innovation as C&C 3 did. I mean the original Starcraft was doing secondary abilities for most units, and that was 10 years before RA3! Yet, we all seemed to have loved RA3 in some form of another. But it was a charade none the less. All this innovation was taken from other RTS titles. Earth 2140 first and foremost, with a sprinkle of other ideas from other games.

I for one am glad they're taking out features. RPG elements work well in RTS games because the genre's are so much alike anyway. All power to Relic for changing direction, to test the water, and take a big risk for the franchise by making it different from the original DOW. I wish EALA would do something like that with C&C.

Besides, Worldshift was built around the exact same concept and gameplay, not to mention that there were enough tactical games ot its kind, let alone the fact that Relic is only re-using the formula they've been releasing since the first DoW.

Is that a bad thing? I don't think it is.

Lastly, you should know as well as I do that innovation is but a slice of the game as a whole. I'm the last one to cry about gameplay traditions, but in this case, it's a disgustingly hyped pile of mediocrity.

Well done, you've accurately described the C&C Franchise for the last decade. Seriously though, you may consider it mediocre. But at least it's not doing a C&C by being the exact same game with a few cosmetic changes.

On a side note, I simply like to build and do not view games omitting this very feature as special at all. There are enough games with similar gameplay across all genres, why take this away and turn the game into something universal? WiC among others did manage to keep a strategy game without structures interesting, but DoW2 doesn't seem to be anything redeemable at all to my mind. It's a dumbed-down, MMO'd Commandos in space, imho.

There's an irony here. You're quick to play down any RTS that doesn't conform to the way you want it to work. I'm not saying you have to like DoW2 or Starcraft or any other RTS. But what does make me laugh is that I can rip the C&C franchise to shreds, and you'll defend it until the cows come home. What makes C&C so special? It is afterall "a disgustingly hyped pile of mediocrity" just like most other games in the RTS genre.

If I was ever to be invited to EALA again (which I won't anyway)... I would turn it down very quickly. This is because I'll go there, be told (like twice before) that the engine has been 60-80% rewritten for this game, the designers and programmers have worked hard to bring a fresh experience etc.... It's all textbook bull****! All this before going into the auditorium to see a GUI change, and some reskinned units etc... To be honest I do not see the point in community summits, they are a waste of time and money. Money which could have gone into that extra concept and design time to make the game more original. EALA should only call the community to Playa Vista when they've got something worth showing off.... Not a 3D version of the 1995 classic every damn time!

Anyway.....The real question these days is more about the quality of the product. If that can go alongside real changes, for example, removing core elements of the RTS for something different, then I'm all for it. Why should a franchise stick to what it's predecessors have done. Sure Dawn Of War 2 might be crap, but at least it tried!

No one said the secondary abilities in RA3 were innovative, I didn't even mention RA3 being innovative in this discussion in the first place. Remember, you are the one wo applauds innovation just for the sake of it, not me.

Exactly because the genres are so similar we should try not to blur the lines- Or else we get mediocre wannabe strategy or roleplay titles.

Please don't be hypocritically condemning about EALA. They're about the only studio I know who has a line-up of games quite different from one another in key features. Even the small changes they made didn't "sparkle" with everyone, on a side note.

It's bad that CnC re-uses the same formula but you're okay about SC2 or DoW2? Again, I'm not the one who opposes franchises going on being what they are.

CnC is not hyped. CnC was always the big mac RTS in the collective minds of gamers that many looked down upon. What does it make so special? It foremost focuses on enjoyment, and that's exactly what games should be about. Furthermore, even the mediocre FMV sequences pwn most CGI/In-game intermissions. And I'm not being quick about it- I just call 'em as I see 'em. I played the Worldshift beta and demo, I've played the Battleforge beta and I've seen the few DoW2 vids that have been released, which all left me unimpressed and bored. I'm still going to try the demo, but judging from earlier incarnations I know that SP is going to suck majorly, and I think it's a little bit unfair how Relic isn't called upon that. Where was the irony here? I rather find it ironical how quick you leave to rot a game you were excited about yet again.

I don't really understand your point btw. What has quality to do again with innovation, respectively longevity and vice versa?

Edited by hagren

Saracen I find it most confusing that back in November you praised RA3 highly, gave it a sparkling 94% review and now you criticise it the at almost every opportunity. And your constant attacks at EALA are not welcome either.

No one said the secondary abilities in RA3 were innovative, I didn't even mention RA3 being innovative in this discussion in the first place. Remember, you are the one wo applauds innovation just for the sake of it, not me.

No I applaud it because I welcome it. I like different things in gaming that are willing to push the envelope. Most games don't do that.

Exactly because the genres are so similar we should try not to blur the lines- Or else we get mediocre wannabe strategy or roleplay titles.

Why not? If Demigod manages to work, and does everything well then it's one of those diamonds in the rough. It takes a particular game to raise the bar in a genre. You've got to give more credit to developers who are more willing take risks than those who conform to their comfort zones... So what if they're rubbish, at least they tried.

Please don't be hypocritically condemning about EALA.

You mentioned "charades for reviewers and marketing managers to convince half-wits and have something to babble about"... how is EALA any different in this respect... it's all textbook stuff which we've heard before, put out of context for a game that hasn't changed in almost 14 years. It's my right to criticise EALA for doing nothing new with Westwood's stale franchise.

It's bad that CnC re-uses the same formula but you're okay about SC2 or DoW2? Again, I'm not the one who opposes franchises going on being what they are.

Let's see, C&C has 7 RTS titles and 7 expansions to it's name. The others are on their 2nd title only. For 14 years it's been the same old stuff and there's been no real evolution from Westwood or EALA in that time. I'd argue that both Relic and Blizzard do not need to change their formulas, as both their new IPs scored magnificently well and both offered more than other RTS games during their time. C&C 3 only scored highly cos we were C&C dehydrated, and was glad to see it. RA3 has been a mixed bag purely because of the aforementioned points.

Sure if DoW2 or Starcraft 2 are complained at for not being different enough from their predecessors then I'll quite happily admit that they probably got something wrong. But they are at the stage where their franchises aren't broke, so why fix it? C&C on the other hand has had enough releases to start asking critical questions... sure many people say the formula ain't broke... but I on the other hand think it's rather tired and worn out like Christmas is expensive and unexciting to most adults. C&C needs something new added to it. It's like drinking black coffee all you're life and not being able to try it with milk or sugar, it's gonna get boring.

I rather find it ironical how quick you leave to rot a game you were excited about yet again.

I was never that excited about RA3. As I've said to some people on MSN, I do all this happy excited stuff so I don't get my head ripped off for being critical regardless if it's constructive or not. If you read my review through again of RA3 you'll find I focus mainly on the bad points.... then for the sake of not justifying the 74% mark I wanted to give it, I thought I'd change gear and be a little positive.... most people thought the score was too high. Probably cos I tried too hard to be enthusiastic about the whole thing.

IDK, the amphibious units, greater faction diversity and co-op campaign added enough novelty to the game.

So you applaud innovation in games yet rip UaW apart every single time you can? Imho it's a prime example of innovation over enjoyment value.

I for my part don't want to see rubbish games just for the sake of being deicy- And, again, DoW2 isn't risky at all- It almost mimicks Worldshift, for gods sake!

EALA is different because they are self-aware. They know that their games aren't in the strategic league of SC, and present themselves accordingly.

"Offered more at that time"? DoW? How?! It had one measly campaign with 8 mediocre missions!!! How is that more?

GJ btw about being dishonest.