Duke

D'ya Read Me?

Parents are never slow to remind us that "back in their day" they had no computers or consoles to keep them busy so they read a lot of books. Now it's not really a super cool thing to do in most adolescent circles but I must say books and *intelligence* is "Coming back in again". At least here.

I'm curious, do we have many readers of books on the forums here? And if so - what have you been reading lately, what type of styles do you like, who are your favourite authors? Let discussion reign!

Personally I'm a big fan of crime fic. Especially(well...only) British ones. Couple of favourite authors are: John Grisham, Elizabeth George and Ian Rankin. I'm not a particularly broad reader and prefer to stay with my preferred authors and genre's but that's just me.

Currently, i'm reading a book called 'Absolute Power' by a guy called Ian Wishart which is an 'unauthourized biography' of the now former New Zealand Prime Minister, Helen Clark. Incredibly well researched and very well written Ian Wishart goes into the real heart of many issues that the government has managed to sweep under the carpet over the past few years and exposes some of the corruption in our own public servants. I haven't finished it yet but highly recommend it for any kiwi that's slightly interested in politics!

I always have a book with me at work. It's all I have to pass the lulls in the day that hobble along. Currently, I'm reading The Dark Half by Stephen King. It's a rather good one. Very dark and brutal. Also been re-reading When Will Jesus Bring The Pork Chops by George Carlin.

Probably gonna finish The Battle of Corrin after The Dark Half. Then I haven't decided yet. Probably another King book.

I used to read a lot, and if I somehow acquire a book without leaving the house and is actually worth reading, I'll read it.

Basically, I got tired of books not entertaining me long enough, so about seven years ago, I started writing my own.

Last book I read by another author was Carmilla, by Joseph Sheridan Le Fanu. Bit short, but I was reading it for mythology research anyway.

I will read pretty much anything, I've only had a few books that I put down after I started, one was Wind in the Willows by Kenneth Grahame and Profiles in Courage by John F. Kennedy. The first because I was in 2nd grade and it bored the hell out of me, the second because it bores the hell out of me. I mostly read either fantasy or like Tom Clancy-esque stuff, I'm in the middle of the Op-Center series, it's really good.

I used to read a fair bit. Nowadays though my attention span has disappeared. :P All I read now are magazines and the odd conspiracy blog, if I feel like laughing. :P

Terry Pratchet: The discworld series. These are good because even though there are 20+ in the series you don't really need to have read any of them when you pick a random book. Humour is king.

I mainly read car magzines, well by that i meen i read top gearNZ every month

Also like my crime fictions, like devils teardrop and also like the rough and tumble of books by Lee child

I mainly read car magzines, well by that i meen i read top gearNZ every month

I actually got given the latest issue in a secret santa thing but before that didn't even know it existed. Did you do that cool-wall fridge magnet thing. Flippin awesome idea :P

WWII history books along with political books. Sometimes a few alternative history books that AREN'T far fetched. The only one I've really ever read through completely was Fatherland and I really liked it.

I'm reading "A Foreign Policy of Freedom: Peace, Commerce, and Honest Friendship" right now which is a compilation of Ron Paul speeches - cool beans.

I actually got given the latest issue in a secret santa thing but before that didn't even know it existed. Did you do that cool-wall fridge magnet thing. Flippin awesome idea :P

Sadly dispite the bonuses to subscription like early chance to get top gear live tickets and caladnders and may on motors free and copys before store release, i didn't get the magnets :( .

Good magazine though

i used to be an avid reader but i haven't really touched books in a long time. every so often i find something that draws my interest and i'll just sit and read it constantly doing absolutely nothing else. like bill bryson or brian lumley (an lemmie warn you, brian's stuff is not to be taken lightly. apart from having books that are thicker then 2", they are -deep-)

after that i got hooked on the resident evil books (S.D. Perry) and the halo books. i know, i know. but the books kick ass xD anyhow as well as them there was "the horns of the buffalo" by john wilcox, which is a semi-fictional account of the battle of isandlwana and rorke's drift and beyond, following a young officer (who is fictional. but most of the cast in the book were actually real historical people... it's quite cleverly written, having the character hear historical phrases. the author studied the personalities of historical people to work out how they would react in situations)

also the terry pratchett stuff. my mom raised me on them, she had bought every book to date. but the newer ones i end up getting for birthday and christmas instead. so i have a couple of them to read. but my big book favourite at the moment is definately anything by Max Brooks XD

zombie survival guide FTW <3 i sat down to read it and got halfway through it in one sitting xD i've also started buying up a zombie graphic novel series; The Walking Dead. it looks very awesome. the downside is that each graphic novel is a little more expensive then the last (the first cost £6.50, and #8 cost £9.99...)

The Ender series by Orson Scott Card. Starting with Ender's Game.

One of the most realistic Sci-Fi books, and it was based on a short story Card wrote in the '80's

still reading the survival guide when i get the chance. i'm gonna try buy the two walking dead issues i'm missing so far (2 and 6) on thursday when waterstones told me more would be in stock. i've always been a zombie expert, now i'm reaching "fanatic" stage. considering the fact that if i look anywhere around my room i see something zombie related...

I read books in the toilet... I spend 400% more time in there than I need because I need to finish the chapter!

Is that too much information? My stock-n-trade are Star Trek or Star Wars Novels - because they fit discretely into my trouser pockets while I walk to public toilets!

:)

I just finished book 6 of Kevin J Anderson's Saga of Seven Suns. Waiting for Bk 7 to come out in my price bracket.

I regularly visit the library to borrow books, but I love Aasimov, Tolkien, Herbert, Edgar Rice Burroughs, Clancy's (he's oookay), Douglas Adams, I used to like Clarke (until I realised he liked young boys - eeew!), I enjoyed Hubbard's Book "Battlefield Earth", and the original novel for "Starship troopers". My fav novel recently is Alfred Besters "Tiger Tiger".

Can't get into Non-fiction, although I have read through some military ones in my day.

I've actually just download a series of Edgar Rice Burrough's ebooks - so I can transfer them to my Nokia E71 - for the toilet of course.

Never fear... I've not posted to cncnz forums from the throne room!

LOL.

Never fear... I've not posted to cncnz forums from the throne room!

LOL.

Thank goodness for that. We might have to sanitize your posts!

I think we may need to already, i have a starwars google ad

hopefully will be getting those walking dead graphic novels later today! hopefully. today is gonna be busy though. have to go to the dentist, then to get the 'novels, then have to be home later cos tonight the online food shopping turns up. chaos!

hopefully will be getting those walking dead graphic novels later today! hopefully. today is gonna be busy though. have to go to the dentist, then to get the 'novels, then have to be home later cos tonight the online food shopping turns up. chaos!

You totally remind me of William Forester.... do you have an accent as cool as Sean?

Eww! I'm not touching *THOSE* posts!

oh lawd *breaks out hand sanitizer*

I have. :P

Wireless internet and a laptop would make it pritty easy, good thing im too lazy to actually move my laptop

Portable laptops???

Dang. What a novel idea... but it'll never catch on.