Malevolence

Desktop CPU Thread

New details on the long awaiting Sandy Bridge!

28449124.jpg

Intel's Sandy Bridge Architecture Exposed

Sandy Bridge is Intel’s 2011 performance mainstream architecture refresh. It won’t take the place of the 6-core Gulftown based Core i7 processors at the top of the charts, but it’ll occupy the competitive space below it. The value segments won’t see Sandy Bridge until 2012.

The first CPUs will ship very early in 2011 for both desktops and notebooks. ...

newheatsink.jpg

socket.jpg

roadmapsm.jpg

http://www.anandtech.com/show/3922/intels-...cture-exposed/1

Combining Intel integrated graphics with newer Intel CPU chips aren't bad, except their graphic performance will still fell short from leading Nvidia and AMD/ATI graphic chipsets. Some news sources I have read elsewhere are saying this new chip will be a "Nvidia killer".

Quick Question: from what I can gather, it seems the new AMD Six-Core processors are awesomely cheap for the money, but if you want to do serious gaming, fall far short of the i7's. True/False/What's the deal on AMD vs Intel nowadays aside from Intel is more powerful & AMD is cheaper?

That is the deal. Intel's, by far, are stronger than their AMD counterparts and AMD is still the best business-class processor on the market.

Yeah. It becomes a matter of budget, need, preference, and your balancing of all those stuff. Meh, since me and my dad are into editing, and since Nvidia's CUDA simply is the best in terms of video editing (when in comparison to other desktop GPU), we use Nvidia, and since Nvidia and Intel are practically one nowadays, then we use Intel. Mind you, we love AMD, but our budget and needs call for Intel and Nvidia combination.

But really, it's just a push-and-pull game; one company gets above the other at some point, then it becomes the other way around, so on and so forth. At least in this endless competition, the really winner is US, since they really have to put up a hell of a performance to impress us. >:D

Quick Question: from what I can gather, it seems the new AMD Six-Core processors are awesomely cheap for the money, but if you want to do serious gaming, fall far short of the i7's. True/False/What's the deal on AMD vs Intel nowadays aside from Intel is more powerful & AMD is cheaper?

IMO, True.

Personally I prefer Intel over AMD. No offense to AMD, it's just a preference.

Anyways, sidetracking abit, of course, I'm not boycotting AMD and wish they don't exist etc (pointing to those crazy fanboys), if there are no competitor(s) around, the monopolizing company will screw consumers big time... I hope some of the simple minded fanboys could see this picture.

@Malevolence, you got that right. If there was only one company making processors, then they could shoved half-assed hardware down our throats and we couldn't complain, because there's no choice. I remember a while back, when it was still AMD's time (Duron and Athlon series vs. P3 and P4), we were all AMD here. But since Intel had to one-up them, now have even better processors, thanks to that competition.

The difference between AMD and Intel processors aren't huge, but if you budget is good to go, and you do need the extra oomph in your PC, well, I'd say that Intel has won the day. But if you don't need your PC to be THAT fast, and your budget isn't that big, AMD is the choice. At least, that's how I view it; no biases to brands, just plain old purpose and budget taken into context.

AMD has been talking about their new AMD Vision stuff for a while, if you guys are interested you could check it out.

AMD isn't bad. I even plan on building a true HTPC and I'm using an AMD build since those boards offered what I wanted versus Intel's counterparts. Processors are nice, but the board you place it on is equally important. ;)

Good point. Crappy processor + good motherboard = bull**** PC. Good processor + crappy motherboard = same old bull****. The good process + good motherboard is more like the sweet spot. That's why we (my dad and I) always check out which companies support one another (i.e. Nvidia = Intel, etc.) so you get the most compatibility.

Btw, we use Gigabyte motherboards. Awesome performance so far. >:D

Good motherboard with mediocre processor leads to decent PC still. That's more what I have right now. My mobo isn't top of the line, but it is nice for its price point and for the socket I got, which is LGA775. Yep, still rockin' a Core 2 Duo! And a Gigabyte mobo to power it all.

Just a clarification, Intel and nVidia in no way have a deal since AMD/ATI cards run equally well on Intel-based motherboards. It's just ATI cards play nicer with AMD boards, moreso than nVidia cards do... or at least, that's what I've noticed. I could be wrong.

Dunno. I often hear about Intel and Nvidia together. After all, it just would make better sense... If ATI got a foothold in AMD, Nvidia shouldn't insinuate itself into that established foothold... But make a foothold of it's own. In another processor company, though. Meh, I'm satisfied with my loadout, sorry, rig, right now (gotta get Halo: Reach offa my head). I can edit videos well enough on this, and it runs Starcraft II on full graphic settings (and in high resolution, too!). I can live with this processor-motherboard combo for a few more years (2 at most).

Intel and nVidia are in no way "together." I think that's a misconception from people who just don't know. ATI/AMD is the same company and ATI video cards from the HD6xxx series and onwards will now be using the AMD moniker instead of ATI. There's truth to ATI cards working better on AMD boards and that's why.

Intel Sandy Bridge is Upon Us!

58707331.th.jpg82166081.th.jpg96917065.th.jpg

With more than one million computers selling each day, Intel Corporation introduced its game-changing 2nd Generation Intel Core processor family today. Intel highlighted several surprising new features, services and partnerships that combine to deliver an entirely new visual experience with processor graphics built in. More than 500 desktop and laptop PCs are expected from all major OEMs worldwide throughout the next year.

New features include Intel Insider, Intel Quick Sync Video, and a new version of the company's award-winning Intel Wireless Display (WiDi), which now adds 1080p HD and content protection for those wishing to beam premium HD content from their laptop screen to their TV. The company also revealed arrangements with CinemaNow, Dixons Retail plc, Hungama Digital Media Entertainment, Image Entertainment, Sonic Solutions, and Warner Bros. Digital Distribution.

"The new 2nd Generation Intel Core processors represent the biggest advance in computing performance and capabilities over any other previous generation," said Mooly Eden, vice president and general manager, PC Client Group, Intel. "The built-in visual capabilities enabled by these new processors are stunning. This combined with improved adaptive performance will revolutionize the PC experience in a way that is obvious for every user to see and appreciate – visibly smarter performance."

New Visual Experience for Today's Lifestyles

The 2nd Generation Intel Core processor family is the first "visibly smart" microarchitecture to combine visual and 3D graphics technology with performance-leading microprocessors on a single chip. Incorporating the newly architected Intel HD Graphics on each 32nm die enables significant graphics performance improvements over previous generation graphics, for both HD media processing and mainstream gaming. The chips improve performance and yet still offer great battery life and the ability to design thinner, lighter and more innovative laptops and all-in-one PCs.

New processor graphics technology will focus on the areas where most people are computing today: high-definition (HD) video, photos, mainstream gaming, multi-tasking and online socializing and multimedia. Enhanced visual technologies like next-generation Intel® HD graphics are built into every 2nd Generation Intel Core processor. For consumers, this means a dramatically improved PC experience, with better overall power management, greater efficiency and great battery life.

Additionally, a surprise new feature of the next-generation PC and laptop processors, Intel Insider, will give consumers access to movies on their PCs in true high definition that were not available before. To show this feature, Eden used a clip from the feature film Inception from Warner Bros.* and demonstrated how easy it would be to get the movie from CinemaNow and watch it in full HD on a laptop.

In collaboration with Hollywood and Bollywood studios along with leading content distributors such as CinemaNow, Dixons Retail plc, Hungama Digital Media Entertainment, Image Entertainment, Sonic Solutions*, Warner Bros. Digital Distribution and others, Intel creates a protected environment for the distribution, storage and playback of premium content.

This enables content owners and video services to release more movies in high definition on the same date as DVD/Blu-ray releases. Commercial distribution of HD premium content using the Intel Insider technology is expected to begin during the first quarter of 2011. and services will be available in Q1.

Building upon this Intel Insider innovation, Eden then demonstrated how consumers can now also use Intel WiDi 2.0 to beam content like the Inception film to their big screen HDTVs. Additional Intel WiDi 2.0 improvements include support for 1080p HD as well as protected content either streaming from the Internet or played locally from a Blu-ray or DVD player.

Another unique element of the visual experience built into the 2nd Generation Intel Core processor family is Intel Quick Sync Video. This built-in hardware acceleration takes the wait out of editing and sharing videos with astonishing performance that completes in minutes what used to take hours. Now faster than ever, consumers can edit, convert, and share videos with friends and family. Intel estimated that a four minute HD video could now transfer to an iPod for example in just 16 seconds.

The power of the 2nd Generation Intel Core processors for immersive mainstream gaming was demonstrated with a teaser from Valve's* Portal 2, one of the most anticipated game releases of 2011. Eden did the demonstration with precision Hydra motion controllers from Razer using Sixense MotionTouch technology.

Smart Performance, Energy Efficiency and Intelligence Merge

The Core i3, i5 and i7 processors also include the enhanced Intel Turbo Boost Technology 2.0. This feature automatically reallocates processor core and processor graphics resources to accelerate performance, giving users an immediate performance boost when and where it's needed.

Other new chip features include Intel Advanced Vector Extensions (AVX), Intel InTru 3-D, and Intel Clear Video Technology HD. Intel InTru 3-D enables immersive stereoscopic 3D to 3D-capable HDTVs or monitors via HDMI 1.4, making movie excitement almost come out of the screen.

Intel AVX increases performance for demanding visual applications like audio processing and professional video image editing like stitching together multiple photographs. Intel Clear Video improves the visual quality and color fidelity during video playback for a spectacular screen experience.

To make it easy for users to find a 2nd Generation Core-based system that is just right for their particular needs, Intel is also announcing a wide array of SKUs including Intel vPro enabled processors.

The chips are made on Intel's 32 nanometer manufacturing process on the company's second-generation high-k metal gate transistors. These unique advantages further boost performance; reduce power consumption for better battery life and smaller designs, and lower overall manufacturing costs.

Intel announced more than 20 processors, wireless adapters and chipsets, including new Intel Core i7, i5 and i3 processors, Intel 6 Series Chipsets, and Intel Centrino Wi-Fi and WiMAX adapters. More than 500 laptop and desktop PC platform designs are expected from all major computer makers worldwide based on these products.

The quad core (four processors inside one chip) based systems will be available on January 9 and additional dual-core versions in February.

http://techpowerup.com/137597/Intel-Brings...p-PC-Chips.html

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/1501/1/

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3754/inte...cpus/index.html

Edited by Malevolence

Exclusive: Intel's first LGA 2011 motherboards unveiled

Today we can as the first publication in the world unveil the codenames of Intel's first two own brand LGA 2011 motherboards which are expected to launch in the second half of this year with support for Intel's upcoming high-end consumer desktop platform.

Sadly we don't actually have a lot of details beyond the Intel code names for the two boards at this moment, but we'll be following up with more platform details as we get them. Intel's first two models are currently known as "Silver" and "Thorsby" and as you can see from the roadmap slide below, both models are expected sometime in the second half of this year.

The roadmap is about two months old by now, but the information should be correct. As this is the platform that will replace the current LGA 1366 motherboards and Nehalem based processors, it will initially be exclusive for Intel's Extreme Edition CPUs. This is likely to disappoint a lot of consumers that so far have been hoping for an upgrade solution for their LGA 1366 systems, but it seems like that is less likely now, unless you have US$999 (or more) to blow on a CPU.

2313i.png

What we do know is that the new boards will use quad channel memory and we're expecting one DIMM per channel on most if not all consumer motherboards. The CPUs for the LGA 2011 platform that targets consumers are currently known as Sandy Bridge-E, a CPU which will also appear as high-end Xeon processors. This will be Intel's first PCI Express 3.0 platform as well, but don't expect to see boards with more than two full x16 PCI Express slots, just like the current LGA 1366 boards, although it would be possible to do boards with up to five slots with eight lanes worth of PCI Express 3.0 bandwidth per slot.

We'd expect to see the first boards from Intel's partners on display at Computex 2011 which starts on the 31st of May this year. However, the platform isn't really expected to launch until a few months later, maybe during IDF San Francisco in September. Some of this will most likely depend on how well AMD's upcoming Bulldozer platform performs in comparison to Intel's current LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge platform and if AMD performs better than Intel is expecting, we might see the Sandy Bridge-E platform pulled forward.

http://vr-zone.com/articles/exclusive-inte...iled/11045.html

Intel Slip Up Discloses Core i7-2700K

A slip-up by Intel revealed its next high-performance socket LGA1155 processor, the Core i7-2700K. The box part product code of the new chip was disclosed in the latest material deceleration datasheet (MDS) document, as BX80623I72700K, carrying the spec code SR0DG. From the given product code, one can deduce the SKU as Core i7-2700K. No other specifications were given out, but given that Core i5 2000 and Core i7 2000 quad-core models are spaced out in steps of 100 MHz, one can only guess that the i7-2700K carries a clock speed of 3.50 GHz, with 3.90 GHz Turbo Boost. In all likelihood, the release of this new chip could be timed to coincide with AMD FX 8150, displacing the Core i7-2600K from its existing price-point, and making the 2600K compete with the FX-8150 at a more competitive price.

http://www.techpowerup.com/152301/Intel-Sl...e-i7-2700K.html

You've probably heard about the upcoming LGA 2011 Sandy Bridge EX processors.

The news has been official!

Intel is releasing their extreme processors with liquid cooling setups!

sbewatercoolers101011.jpg

If that was to come STANDARD with all future Intel processors that would be awesome. :)

If that was to come STANDARD with all future Intel processors that would be awesome. :)

Intel have finally confirmed that they will be including water cooling as an enthusiast solution for their upcoming Core i7-3000 series Sandy Bridge-E processors due for release on November 14 – a first for Intel and something for AMD to match. They have gone with Asetek due to their high quality products and good reputation, which will be branded with the distinctive Intel blue logos. The 12cm radiator fan will actually be illuminated in Intel Blue, giving a classy look to the kit. On top of that, they will actually sell the kit separately, so no one need feel left out. The E-series chips are already significantly faster than the current Sandy Bridge offerings, but water cooling will be able to stretch that lead even further and should make for some exciting overclocking achievements. Perhaps 6GHz or more 24/7 reliable operation is within reach? No prices as yet.

It isn't a surprise that their rival, AMD, is doing liquid cooling for their upcoming FX bulldozer processors.

amdbulldozercooler.th.jpg amdbulldozercooler1.th.jpg amdbulldozercooler2.th.jpg amdbulldozercooler3.th.jpg

Intel Releases Core i7 ''Sandy Bridge-E'' Processors

61423090.jpg

Intel today released its Core i7-3000 series processor family, codenamed "Sandy Bridge-E". These new processors, along with the new Intel X79 chipset, make up for an entirely new platform. The processors are an upscale of the Sandy Bridge architecture found on chips in the LGA1155 package. The Sandy Bridge-E silicon measures 20.8 x 20.9 mm, with a humungous transistor count of 2.27 billion. In its Core i7-3000 configuration, the silicon has up to 6 cores, up to 15 MB of L3 cache, four DDR3 memory channels, and 40 PCI-Express 3.0 lanes ("some" devices "may" support Gen 3.0, Intel's words).

Sandy Bridge-E has the same instruction set as Sandy Bridge, which includes SSE up to version 4.2, AVX, AES, and features Turbo Boost 2.0, HyperThreading. It's the memory controller that's complete upscale. It features four independent 64-bit paths to DDR3 DIMMs, making it a quad-channel DDR3 IMC. DDR3-1600 MHz is natively supported. There are three models, the Core i7-3960X Extreme Edition leads the pack with a clock speed of 3.30 GHz, 3.90 GHz top Turbo Boost speed, and 15 MB of L3 cache. It has 6 cores and 12 threads with HTT enabled. This chip has all its multipliers unlocked and is geared for overclocking. It is priced at US $990 in 1000 unit tray quantities, though retailers might draw a decent margin for the boxed parts.

The next best chip in the series is Core i7-3930K. With clock speeds of 3.20 GHz and 3.80 GHz (Turbo), this chip has a slightly smaller L3 cache size of 12 MB, though it is still unlocked and geared for overclocking. Like the i7-3960X, this is a 6 core / 12 thread chip. This chip commands a price of $555. Touted to be the most affordable model, the Core i7-3820 is a quad-core part drawn out of disabling two cores (there's no evidence so far that they can be unlocked). With HTT enabled, this chip offers 8 threads. Its L3 cache is further reduced, to 10 MB (still higher than any preceding Core i7 quad-core model). Unfortunately, this chip is "partially unlocked", meaning that its base clock multiplier is locked, though you can still effectively overclock it by tinkering with the base clock. What's even more depressing is that this chip won't be available until Q1 2012. It is supposed to be priced in the $299~$399 range. This means that the only people building Sandy Bridge-E desktops this Christmas will be the ones with at least $600 to spare for a processor.

Moving on to the platform itself, the processor is built on the new LGA2011 package, it's the largest CPU package by dimensions, in recent times. Over its 2011 pins, the processor gives out four DDR3 memory channels and 40 PCI-Express 3.0 lanes, a DMI 4 GB/s connection to the X79 chipset, and a large number of pins handling power. The X79 chipset itself doesn't differ much from the P67 chipset in terms of the kind of connectivity it offers, except support for Intel Smart Response SSD-caching technology.

72an.jpg

72bt.jpg

72cx.jpg

72d.jpg

---

Also showcasing one of the epic X79 motherboards from ASUS ROG.

http://youtu.be/uzTqdOdVEg0

Edited by Malevolence

Time to go EXTREME yet again, with 5 1200W PSUs powering this setup!!!

78813080.th.jpg 84569333.th.jpg 13311802.th.jpg 75770671.th.jpg 38889320.th.jpg

17239554.th.jpg 43859516.th.jpg 55000602.th.jpg 28661650.th.jpg 53346770.th.jpg

54983117.th.jpg 43189899.th.jpg 57355985.th.jpg 69856589.th.jpg 52547004.th.jpg

19752152.th.jpg 35252415.th.jpg 30885747.th.jpg 26611270.th.jpg 65661340.th.jpg

28160165.th.jpg 13als.th.jpg 81754299.th.jpg 35138905.th.jpg 46309630.th.jpg

46622420.th.jpg ti25928.th.jpg

Edited by Malevolence

Any new updates from Intel lately? Intel had better start on 8-core chips now.

A little off topic, it appears that AMD has already gained ahead on using 8-cores in one CPU (notably the FX model series under AMD Opteron), a first for AMD: http://hothardware.c...zer-Has-Landed/

Pretty soon AMD may apply 8-core chips on Phenom II as well.

Edited by zocom7