Malevolence

CNCNZ Stargate Appreciation Club

cncnzstargate.png

I am aware that a huge number of CNCNZ folks are Stargate fans. From folks having usernames that relate to Stargate, to avatars/banners containing Stargate elements. Funny thing is, why wasn't a thread created to talk and appreciate the Stargate franchise?

So here I am, revealing my confession. I love the Stargate franchise, especially Atlantis. In fact I started loving the franchise after catching up and completed 5 seasons of Atlantis. I'm still stuck somewhere in SG-1, (10 seasons' too long to catch up!!!) and I've completed the films. Like the rest of the fans, me thinks the cartoon Infinity is just so wrong. And I am looking forward to a future Atlantis film and the new Universe series.

My favorite character is Dr. Meredith Rodney Mckay, who's always better than the rest, and mind you, its true I believe he's always better than the rest of the characters. :lol:

stargateb.gif

So let's discuss the love of Stargate here!

Edited by Malevolence

Funny thing is, why wasn't a thread created to talk and appreciate the Stargate franchise?

It was breifly mentioned in that Battlestar thread, but maybe if this thread gains any sort of feedback, those other posts related to SG could be moved into here.

UGH Infinity. No. Just no.

Any new info on Universe? I haven't been following Stargate since like the end of season 3, although I rented all the movies to finish off the SG-1 storyline.

UGH Infinity. No. Just no.

Any new info on Universe? I haven't been following Stargate since like the end of season 3, although I rented all the movies to finish off the SG-1 storyline.

Stargate (1994), Stargate SG-1 10 Seasons, Stargate Atlantis 5 Seasons, Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008), Stargate: Continuum (2008), Stargate Atlantis movie? (2009), Stargate Universe (New Series), Another Stargate SG-1 movie? (2010?)

Not gonna talk about Infinity. Lol.

Stargate SG1 should have ended in season 8 I think it was, well when the Gould had been taken out. The Ori storyline was lame and started to get far fetched, and the last episode for the series was a complete and utterly total let down. The Ori movie was horrible too, I mean they could have thought of something more original than the frigging replicators for half the movie... Ugh.

I liked the other SG movie with Ball though, that was nice. ^_^

Atlantis is kinda all over the place though, and not really going anywhere imo. But we'll see.

Ba'al, no ball or bald. lol.

I am still waiting patiently to see how far Atlantis will be going, let's hope they kick the Wraith's butts for good. Now I'm wondering what will happen to Todd's fate, since he's a Wraith.

I just watch ark of truth, and it's the first time in a SG watching experience that I was truely tempted to jump throw my remote at the screen...

The whole B-Plot with the replicators... ugh... there are not enough cuss words in all known languages to begin to adequately describe my antipathy to the use. Totally unnecessary and inexusable application. Concept was good, execution was awful. Hated the 5min helicopter ride to start the movie, and Teal'c's mountain trek. The one thing positive I have to say about the movie was the return of many Ori characters from the series. Nice homage there. I didn't like the name, "ark of *truth*" when it's simply a brain-washing device. I'm dissapointed the Asgard were totally ignored in the fight against the ori, and that their technology gift was not the source of triumph against the ori. I would have been able to stomach better the 'ark' concept being generated by their new discoveries of the tech.

I think the S10 ending comes close to being the worst ever final episode of sci-fi series ever!

I would have much prefered the Asgard relocate to another dimension/galaxy and leave their technology as a gift, and the entire episode was an elaborate test of the human's willingness to use technology wisely. By this I mean that the equipment installed in the odyssey was actually an elaborate hologram/simulation technology rather than the technology itself. It makes no sense to kill of the race as they did.

By stark contrast - Atlantis is fresh and exciting, and the international flavour of the cast - especially the technical staff is wonderful. I've only seen a portion of S3, so no spoilers for me - otherwise I'll just have to avoid the thread I guess. I have continum movie - but haven't watched it yet.

An animated movie is news to me.

Universe is something I know very little about... some sort of ship that travels the galaxy rather than a base that sends teams out is all I know.

As I said elsewhere - Valla is the best thing to happen to vanilla SG1, and the Ori were the worst.

I don't particularly like the wraith as villans, but I like the Atlantis crew.

I just watch ark of truth, and it's the first time in a SG watching experience that I was truely tempted to jump throw my remote at the screen...

The whole B-Plot with the replicators... ugh... there are not enough cuss words in all known languages to begin to adequately describe my antipathy to the use. Totally unnecessary and inexusable application. Concept was good, execution was awful. Hated the 5min helicopter ride to start the movie, and Teal'c's mountain trek. The one thing positive I have to say about the movie was the return of many Ori characters from the series. Nice homage there. I didn't like the name, "ark of *truth*" when it's simply a brain-washing device. I'm dissapointed the Asgard were totally ignored in the fight against the ori, and that their technology gift was not the source of triumph against the ori. I would have been able to stomach better the 'ark' concept being generated by their new discoveries of the tech.

I think the S10 ending comes close to being the worst ever final episode of sci-fi series ever!

I would have much prefered the Asgard relocate to another dimension/galaxy and leave their technology as a gift, and the entire episode was an elaborate test of the human's willingness to use technology wisely. By this I mean that the equipment installed in the odyssey was actually an elaborate hologram/simulation technology rather than the technology itself. It makes no sense to kill of the race as they did.

By stark contrast - Atlantis is fresh and exciting, and the international flavour of the cast - especially the technical staff is wonderful. I've only seen a portion of S3, so no spoilers for me - otherwise I'll just have to avoid the thread I guess. I have continum movie - but haven't watched it yet.

An animated movie is news to me.

Universe is something I know very little about... some sort of ship that travels the galaxy rather than a base that sends teams out is all I know.

As I said elsewhere - Valla is the best thing to happen to vanilla SG1, and the Ori were the worst.

I don't particularly like the wraith as villans, but I like the Atlantis crew.

I haven't really touch on that far into SG-1 Season 8 or so, I'm still unfamiliar with some stuff there (yet) but I am aware of Vala Mal Doran. Hot milf with great accents. :blush:

The atlantis crew is always awesome. Just don't like what they did to

Dr. Carson Beckett & Dr Elizabeth Weir, even though Beckett's character was brought back as a clone but I do miss the real him. And Elizabeth Weir became Ancient replicator was really disappointing.

Still think of it, this scene is still the best of the best in the stargate universe.

thekiss.jpg

:lol: :lol: :lol:

The whole Beckett thing is totally retarded. Ugh, I hate it when writers/producers can't think of new things to increase ratings so they fall back on what worked in the past.

Stargate (1994), Stargate SG-1 10 Seasons, Stargate Atlantis 5 Seasons, Stargate: The Ark of Truth (2008), Stargate: Continuum (2008), Stargate Atlantis movie? (2009), Stargate Universe (New Series), Another Stargate SG-1 movie? (2010?)

Not gonna talk about Infinity. Lol.

WHOOPS. I meant to say I haven't been following since the end of Atlantis season three. XD Big difference there. I've seen all of SG1 and the movies.

Well I watched Continum last night, what a *GREAT* movie.

The two movies are like chalk & cheese.

Great tension, execution, paced.

If you ignore the

envitable timeline story plot device that enables all the actors to die and come back to life once the timeline is restored. Although I did really enjoy the 'arrogance' speech preventing them changing the current timeline... that was good

I really appreciate the efforts in both movies to get past actors back into the movie - if they have no speaking roles like all the Go'alds.

BTW Luk3us, the whole recycled plotlines was the bane of S9/10 fillers for me. If they knew S10 was going to be the last, they should have re-arranged the filler episodes into one block, so that all the Ori-arc story's could have been shown one after the after to create *some* tension.... the whole

capture of daniel after merlin infuses him and SG1 team just carries on with a slight reference to his missing person and a boring filler episode to boot

was absolutely ridiculous and then they

apparently kill all the ori with merlin's weapon and a whole bunch of new ori ships come through and it's life as usual next episode!

This next comment is not a spoiler about new SG1 episodes or even a RANT about old SG1 episodes, but a comment to drag the thread off-topic and while I believe is true, is meant to be a footnote in the discussion and not a fork in the road to distract. So I suggest you avoid it, but i couldn't help myself!

This is the main example of why Babylon 5 has always been a superior show for story arc IMO... the advantage of having a start, middle and ending planned before the first show was shot.

I think I need to avoid this thread until I watch all the atlantis stuff.

I'll avoid the spoilers, and keep my blood pressure down...

:)

Have you guys watched Stargate Universe? Episode 1 and 2 (Air Part 1 and 2) is out this week!

I thought it was pretty alright, no doubt very different from the previous Stargate shows, kinda have the BSG feeling to it.

Nope, I've heard of it, but have no idea what its about.

I haven't even seen the end of the Atlantis series, which seems to have disappeared off TV. :( I don't feel like buying/downloading the final season atm.

We've seen the Stargates using 7 chevrons, an 8th chevron is introduced to go to another galaxy such as the Pegasus Galaxy in SG Atlantis, and this time round, SGU explores on the mysteries on the ninth chevron. No If you didn't finish SGA its still alright and you can proceed watching SGU. I'll not go into specifics since it'll be quite a spoiler. Oh yea SGU has improved graphics! XD

LOL, so is that why it is called Stargate Universe?

hahah, I thought it was a bit stupid when they went to the Peagsus galaxy, but now this series is all about entirely new universes to visit? Talk about expanding or what. :P

LOL, so is that why it is called Stargate Universe?

Because the new crew aren't in one galaxy, they could be in any part of the universe now. *hint hint* :X

Have you guys watched Stargate Universe? Episode 1 and 2 (Air Part 1 and 2) is out this week!

I thought it was pretty alright, no doubt very different from the previous Stargate shows, kinda have the BSG feeling to it.

Haven't seen it, and won't until it hits DVD. The TV networks here in NZ take for ever to play anything decent like Stargate. But I've see the promo stuff and a couple teaser trailers, and I do agree it has a BSG vibe about it. I never warmed up to SGA series when first started so I'll be prepared to give SGU a chance. SG1 is still the best though. I still enjoy re-watching episodes from past seasons.

I'm really looking forward to the next SG1 and SGA DVD movies. Especially the SG1 movie, a story focused on O'Neill apparently.

I haven't even seen the end of the Atlantis series, which seems to have disappeared off TV. :( I don't feel like buying/downloading the final season atm.

Season 5 of Atlantis has not screened on TV in NZ yet so you haven't missed it. Season 4 was screened on the Prime channel and 2 PM weekdays a few months ago. Yeah such a convenient time slot.

Man I wish NZ had the Sci-Fi channel :(

Season 5 of Atlantis has not screened on TV in NZ yet so you haven't missed it. Season 4 was screened on the Prime channel and 2 PM weekdays a few months ago. Yeah such a convenient time slot.

Man I wish NZ had the Sci-Fi channel :(

2PM weekdays? When did this happen, oh wait let me guess, they didn't actually advertise it did they. Stupid TV networks moving **** around....

Remember Sonic, its now the Syfy channel, I think SKY could make that kind of a channel work. Oh, and LOL at changing the spelling of Sci Fi to that lame ****. Pff. :huh:

Seriously don't waste time hoping for TV networks to air your favorite shows in your favorite timeslots. There's always the internet to stream!

2PM weekdays? When did this happen, oh wait let me guess, they didn't actually advertise it did they. Stupid TV networks moving **** around....

Remember Sonic, its now the Syfy channel, I think SKY could make that kind of a channel work. Oh, and LOL at changing the spelling of Sci Fi to that lame ****. Pff. :huh:

Yeah, it was never advertised, it just appeared. The Box channel did the same thing with seasons 9 and 10 of SG1, played them back to back weekdays at 5PM. By the time these shows has actually played on TV I'd had long since watch them on DVD. Already seen SGA season 5 and as mentioned that has yet to screen.

Its only that lame Syfy name in the USA, UK and Aussie still called Sci-Fi I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Seriously don't waste time hoping for TV networks to air your favorite shows in your favorite timeslots. There's always the internet to stream!

I thought about it that but I'd rather watch it on DVD, plus I like to check out the special features and commentaries etc.... and I like to collect them.

Its only that lame Syfy name in the USA, UK and Aussie still called Sci-Fi I think. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I think you're right. I believe there are still Sci Fi channels in Australia, Benelux, Brazil, France, Germany, Japan, Latin America, Philippines, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, Singapore, Spain, and United Kingdom. They are all owned by NBC Universal, but only the American one got renamed (although, it seems at least Poland thought about it too, but decided not to after a viewer poll).

I don't even watch TV anymore. Everything I watch now, I stream off the internet.

So... I’ve been watching Universe. Not so pleased they decided to drop the action for drama, but I'll wait and see on that.

The thing that I dislike about this show 2nd most is the camera work. Filmed documentary style to add 'realism'. Documentary style has got to be the worst style in existence, even below multiple split screens (why I don't watch 24).

The number 1 thing that ticks me off is related to number 2... people comparing the camera work to Firefly! I've seen not just a couple people say this, but quite a few. So I wrote this in a discussion:

Enough people have claimed the Universe camera work reminds them of Firefly. It ticks me off. Those that think this obviously know nothing about the style Joss Whedon was aiming for and even less about camera work.

Firefly was filmed in a retro style, meant to resemble low quality equipment and technology. Symbolizing the conditions the outer planets existed under (if you paid attention, you could have noticed the filming was done much more professionally while on board Alliance ships).

Universe is filmed in documentary style, meant to resemble reality situations as if someone in the crew itself was doing the filming. Executive producer Robert C. Cooper even compared it to Cloverfield.

It is an insult to Firefly's style to compare the headache delivering, nausea inducing, mental irritation that is Universe's camera work. If they would get off this incredibly annoying reality kick and do some actual filming, this show would be several times more watchable.

I hope no one here was stupid enough to think Universe resembled Firefly.

I really want to get into Universe, but I've also heard less than favorable things about it. Making it "documentary style" seems like a horrible idea, and I don't want to get a headache.

Also,

My favorite character is Dr. Meredith Rodney Mckay,

:thumbsup: