Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

Nukes!

I made these pictures for the fun of it, you don't have to care if you don't want to.

The yield of bombs was measured by TNT because of its consistency in explosiveness. Technically, TNT as a measurement is not trinitrotoluene, but is defined as 4.184 gigajoules of energy. However, if bombs were made out of trinitrotoluene, what would they look like?

One ton/tonne (pick your preferred spelling, either way, I decided to go with the American/Canadian definition of 2000 pounds, it is a nice round number :) ) of TNT would look like this, scaled for comparison to a man:
TNT1.JPG

The Russian made Aviation Thermobaric Bomb of Increased Power (Nicknamed the Father Of All Bombs 'FOAB'), the current record holder for largest non-nuclear bomb, has a blast equivalent to 44 tons/tonnes of TNT:
TNT2.JPG

Larger bombs have to be measured in kilotons/kilotonnes, this is a kiloton/kilotonne of TNT:
TNT3.JPG

The first combat-used nuclear weapon 'Little Boy', detonated in Hiroshima, Japan, had a yield of 14 kilotons/kilotonnes of TNT:
TNT4.JPG

The biggest nuclear bomb ever detonated was the Soviet Tsar Bomba, with a blast equivalent of 50 megatons/megatonnes of TNT.

At this point, a man is too small of a scale, upgrading to the Eiffel Tower, each individual block of TNT is also no longer discernible:
TNT5.JPG

Let not the strength of human ingenuity fool you, we are insignificant and our greatest powers are as nothing to the universe.

The power of a Solar flare, scaled to Mount Everest:
TNT6.JPG(That is 14.3 x1015 tons/tonnes of TNT)

Here's one more I had originally decided not to post, but changed my mind. The power of a supernova in TNT. The distance from the Earth to the Sun is the scale (the size of the Earth and Sun are absolutely not to scale), behold, 10,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000,000 (1031) tons/tonnes of TNT:
TNT7.JPG
It would take light 14 minutes to travel the width of that block of TNT.

Like this? See it and more nuclear stuff at Nmenth's Wasteland!

thanks for the info...numbers confuse me as we never see how its look like....

Whilst the universe might not care, we still have enough power to blow ourselves up nicely. :P

A sign of things to come then.....

planet20of20the20apes.jpg

You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

that reminds me of some flying game for the PS2, basically the story was NY and the rest of the US was completely flooded under over 100 feet of water and almost the only thing you could see was the statue of liberty, it was a terrible game but I remember the statue of liberty XD

I guess the best part is we don't need to pay for front row seats.

i do love a big bang

In light of that, I added one more, enjoy and hold onto your hat :D .

A sign of things to come then.....

planet20of20the20apes.jpg

You Maniacs! You blew it up! Ah, damn you! God damn you all to hell!

SPACEBALLS?

Ah ****. There goes the planet.

ohhh thats a BIG BIG BANG

I know you decided to go with the American definition to compare. But since Americans are overweight, can we compare them to two non-Americans?

Actually there are five definitions of ton/tonne, and the American/Canadian one is the smallest. Although I'm not certain, I believe the original TNT measurement was based on the American definition which is why I used it, but it was ok, because 2000 is an easier number to work with.

...Maybe Americans aren't overweight, it just seems that way because of measurement differences. ;)

Hey! some of us are canadian

well some of uys might be but im a kiwi

canadians shouldn't listen to what us overweight americans say. Right Kiwi?

canadians shouldn't listen to what us overweight americans say. Right Kiwi?

no one should , when was the last time you saw a one tonne professor, or who was the last person who couldnt fit into the seats of congress? those are the only americans i pay attention too :D

Damn crazy Kiwis... or is it just Luk3us?

we are all crazy, but luk3us is crazy by our stanards :P

Guest Stevie_K

Incredible, Iv'e only been here for 2 days since the 90's and Iv'e already learned something.

Those abnormaly huge numbers scares me a bit though :)

scary is watching david blane perform.

ah those vids were worth the watch. thanks again for posting them.

btw whats the next big thing after a nuke should i be worried about? i have some duct tape to seal around my doors and windows. so i'm good with nuclear fall out.

Guest Stevie_K
whats the next big thing after a nuke should i be worried about?

blood rain in India? :unsure:

Edited by Stevie_K

blood rain in India? :unsure:

Ha ha, that media infested frenzy is a good one. Too bad they forgot to mention the yellow, green, and black rain that was also sighted there. Or that oddly hued rain has been appearing in Kerala since at least 1896. Or that the 'blood cells' were algae spores.

btw whats the next big thing after a nuke should i be worried about?

You don't have to worry about nukes. If you want to know what's going to kill you, fear spontaneous accidents and unnoticed disease from which the desperate measures to extend your life for two years will kill you in three.

hmm raining fire that would be cool.