Sign in to follow this  
chitzkoi

Most useless CNC unit ever!?

Lets face it there have been dumb and useless units that Westwood and EA have made. Post which ones you think are the most retarded! An often humorous discussion ^_^

These are the ones that I could remember that were the worst in my gameplay experience! I apologize if my rants are not entirely accurate :P Enjoy!

1. Reckoner (Kane's Wrath) HOLY CRAP! worst ever! the units cant shoot out while moving (yet they can when deployed??), it has to deploy for your troops to exit once they get inside! when it deploys or mobile it is easily destroyed and utterly useless! You feel like you just wasted your money as 6 out of the 8 'recks' plummet to a stand still as crappy bunkers on the battlefield during a rush. Your troops inside are surrounded by the enemy and they are far away from any potential help. the remaining 2 or so 'recks' carry on but quickly die from the withering enemy fire, as their mobile armour sucks even worse than a flame tank! Aren't these units meant to be fortifications??? they suck!!! good luck to anyone who uses em :P haha

2. Brute (Yuri's Revenge) holy crap you can have hundreds of these things, yet a fox-holed machine gunner can mow em down like grass! Think there is a post on youtube about it, hilarious video of mowing down brutes :P

3. Ambulance (Generals) good idea but with absolutely no armour! Its a friggn humvee, with most likely dying people inside! You think they would have put an extra layer of tinfoil just to make sure those atomic blasts don't get through! AHAHAHAHAHA ROFL

4. Toxin Tractor, okay what the crap? Unique yes, usable no. Yah thats gonna do a lot to a tank lol. It might be able to spray the buildings with anti corrosion liquid, as the corrosion would beat the tractor in destroying the bloody building! LOL I know its anti infantry, and I know they can clear a building but any missile wielding soldier can take out that farm vehicle at a distance!

'wake up general! I hear a funny spraying noise outside the window! What the hell? there appears to be a small farm tractor spraying something on the building, sir.'

*'hey you! yes you, tractor chappy. when your done can do a quick spray on my car? the paint's beginning to peel.... that's it! thank you!'*

5. Saboteur (Generals) Lame! Has anyone bothered to micro-manage this slow idiot into an enemy's base? Sure he can power it down but an EMP pulse is way faster and you don't have to worry about this guy getting killed when you aren't watching!

6. Listening Outpost (Generals) Lame! You are literally signing those two guys' death warrant when you put them inside this slow, rickety vehicle :P

7. Angry Mob (Generals) I never could make them as effective as the computer opponents apparently could, even with armed upgrade, they just don't do enough damage, and if you have flame tanks or snipers, that mob is history!

8. umm what else...

Well those are my worst experiences with CNC units. I luv the games tho, These are overall criticisms, as I know that the units mentioned can usually do one thing that is useful, except of course for the RECKONER!!! AHHHHH!!! LOL

Didn't see another post for this yet, hope there isn't an existing one :P

Make us all laugh!

Peace!

Nice constructive rant you've got here :P

The only one i have to disagree with is the Angry mob one:

In my experience with them against AI, a couple of these with the upgrade and they can wipe out most things while being promoted, they turn into running, screaming, flaming mobs of doom.

The Reckoner isn't a bad unit. Its very useful in engi rushes as well as transporting Commandos quickley to your enemy's base. A well planned reckoner rush can easily demolish an entire base, if your opponent is distracted. Only good in small groups 2-3, any more and its not cost effective for what you may gain.

Now to the topic:

1) Chaos Drone, Yuri's Revenge - It was a good idea, but it just sucked. Just spewed out red crap.

2) Rig - TW/KW - Again a good idea, but with the amount of unit spam those things just got swamped.

3) Shatter - KW - Moblie sonic emitters, what isn't to like? Aside from the price, health, firepower, oh and speed...

4) Hunter/Seeker drone - TS - This unit is fffaaarrr to random to be good. I mean sometimes you might hit an MCV, most times you'll hit a civilian car...

5) Tank medic - RA - He popped up in some random expansion, it sounds like a good idea. But ffs, **** died so quick in that game it wasn't worth worrying about.

OK and my FAVOURITE unit in the series has got to be the small tank from Red Alert. You build a **** load of them, and just buzz all around the battlefield, they were sooo cool. ^_^

Technician anyone? Yah? Okay! You should see a swarm of them versus a flame tank on youtube or something.

The Reckoner isn't a bad unit. Its very useful in engi rushes as well as transporting Commandos quickley to your enemy's base. A well planned reckoner rush can easily demolish an entire base, if your opponent is distracted. Only good in small groups 2-3, any more and its not cost effective for what you may gain.

Now to the topic:

5) Tank medic - RA - He popped up in some random expansion, it sounds like a good idea. But ffs, **** died so quick in that game it wasn't worth worrying about.

lol you mean mechanic, it was decent :P

Some more:

1) Devils Tongue - burns through infantry quick, but does crappy damage to buildings and next to nothing to vehicles. Useless unless your opponent only has a barracks :P

2) Jumpjet Infantry - Damn this thing is useless. The same weapon as a light infantry, except less armor and the ability to fly (except it lowers to the ground after every target.........) In other words, it does 0 damage to everything, while being very vurnerable and expensive at the same time.

3) Mobile Radar Jammer - slow, weakly armored and just to jam the radar.....

4) Mobile Stealth generator - slow, weak, and needs to deploy in order to generate this very small stealth field. Useless!

5) Limpet Drone - incredible amounts of luck and micromanagement involved, while you could do the same with an attack bike. I have no idea why this unit is in the game.

OK and my FAVOURITE unit in the series has got to be the small tank from Red Alert. You build a **** load of them, and just buzz all around the battlefield, they were sooo cool. ^_^

Yah Mechanic, it was in RA Aftermath. And yes very hard to keep him from dying, though on the missions, very useful as some of those allied missions you were given a small amount of vehicle and without him, your group would easily wipe! :P

and yes, the RA small tank! I remember buildings as many as possible, to flood the map with em, they could take punishment and deal the damage, and very inexpensive! Swarm!

'Explosive' Jarmen Kell (ZH). Was probably the most annoying and most useful unit that I've ever had fun with :P

Terror drones are just super fun! harass the enemy like mad! glad they brought em back to RA3!

2. Brute (Yuri's Revenge) holy crap you can have hundreds of these things, yet a fox-holed machine gunner can mow em down like grass! Think there is a post on youtube about it, hilarious video of mowing down brutes :P

Incorrect. The Brute was the best scout in the game. He was fast, had a fair bit of health and armor, was immune to dog attacks and could not be anti-scouted. He could protect tech buildings with immunity from dogs so Yuri would always have the upper hand when procuring tech buildings.

3. Ambulance (Generals) good idea but with absolutely no armour! Its a friggn humvee, with most likely dying people inside! You think they would have put an extra layer of tinfoil just to make sure those atomic blasts don't get through! AHAHAHAHAHA ROFL

Incorrect again. The Ambulance is a key unit in Humvee micro. It kept the Vees fully healed while the infantry inside did the attacking.

4. Toxin Tractor, okay what the crap? Unique yes, usable no. Yah thats gonna do a lot to a tank lol. It might be able to spray the buildings with anti corrosion liquid, as the corrosion would beat the tractor in destroying the bloody building! LOL I know its anti infantry, and I know they can clear a building but any missile wielding soldier can take out that farm vehicle at a distance!

Absolute necessity during urban combat. Contrary to your stupid post, missile weapons are ineffective against the Toxin Tractor and they will have enough time to approach and hose the building down with toxins. Plus, they can contaminate the area so if your enemy has a lot of infantry, they'll be useless after a couple of these.

5. Saboteur (Generals) Lame! Has anyone bothered to micro-manage this slow idiot into an enemy's base? Sure he can power it down but an EMP pulse is way faster and you don't have to worry about this guy getting killed when you aren't watching!

Only effective in a few select situations but the effectiveness is diminished in large part by the Hijacker.

6. Listening Outpost (Generals) Lame! You are literally signing those two guys' death warrant when you put them inside this slow, rickety vehicle :P

Absolute best Infantry Gen unit in the game, short of the Helix. The rocket guys inside pound away at tanks from a good distance and they detect; quite a lot for one unit right out of the War Factory.

7. Angry Mob (Generals) I never could make them as effective as the computer opponents apparently could, even with armed upgrade, they just don't do enough damage, and if you have flame tanks or snipers, that mob is history!

Absolutely necessary units while playing as the GLA, especially in a GLA mirror. Mobs excel at combating light vehicles and deal heavy damage to structures. They even respawn out of nowhere and replenish their mob as time passes.

Before you talk smack, play a real game first.

Trying to run off the new guy, DD? So few stick around beyond their first post and those that do are susceptible to an unexpected flogging.

Contrary to your stupid post

I'm certainly not a bleeding-heart myself, but such a direct attack isn't necessary...

'Contrary to your stupid post' Wow gee thanks man. Maybe I'll think next time about not posting anything at all? But... I like to be kind, respectful, and considerate towards others so... I'm glad I joined :P

'Before you talk smack, play a real game first.' Wow... play a real game? What is that exactly supposed to mean? So I haven't played a real game? Gee I guess RA 1 isn't a real game then... what a shame as its your favourite game! And one of mine =)

'missile weapons are ineffective against the Toxin Tractor' <<< uhhh since when? they hit the tractor, it takes damage...

'I luv the games tho' Umm I'm not talking smack if I love the games am I? These were some units I thought were not so useful in my CNC fun times :)

'These are the ones that I could remember that were the worst in my gameplay experience! I apologize if my rants are not entirely accurate Enjoy!'

'Well those are my worst experiences with CNC units. I luv the games tho, These are overall criticisms, as I know that the units mentioned can usually do one thing that is useful.'

Did you neglect to read what I said? For the exact reason so I wouldn't be attacked for posting this fun subject? I see your the only one who didn't read what I said about my rant being 'my experience'. This is just for fun, I'm sure that's why most people are here =)

These were just some thoughts I've had over the years :)

Doctor Destiny, I have no animosity towards you whatsoever. Thanks for your thoughts :)

Thanks all!

Edited by chitzkoi

Technician - Any: most worthless unit in the game. civillans were more powerful than him.

Tesla Trooper - RA/RA2: I found them to be useless most of the time. They are fun to use and the upgrades in RA2 helped out. But rarely did I ever see anyone make them as a attack group. Defence yeah I guess they were ok.

Thief - RA: Was not worth running around to steal with its cost to build.

Mobile Radar Jammer - RA: limited range to effect your enemy. AI had an edge for blinding you while the unit didnt effect them.

chaos drone - YR: had no use for this unit most of the time.

lasher light tank - YR: unit needed to be a bit more sturdy for battle. If it had the tank bunker upgrades, perhaps it would be worth the cost.

Robot Tanks - YR: like the lasher tank, these tanks needs a slight improvement for an overall cost effect.

Yuri's Side - YR: I wish they toned down the mind control units. It was simply to boring to play his side. You pretty much won most of the time online or solo. I want to think when I play a game. no wonder most banned this side from being play in a skirmish.

Limpit Drone, Devils Tongue, and Jumpjet Infantry - TS: Useless units.

Mobile Stealth generator - TS: Limited use. Helped out with power vs. making the stealth generator.

Tank medic/Mechanic - RA/AM: I loved this unit. I found more uses for it than most in battle.

While not the approach I would have taken Fenring (DD), I do agree with him on all his counters. Every unit he picked out was effective and for the reasons he stated.

I played TONS of Gens/ZH, especially competitive the first and second year it was out, all the Gens/ZH you listed as useless were VERY useful.

While not the approach I would have taken Fenring (DD), I do agree with him on all his counters. Every unit he picked out was effective and for the reasons he stated.

I played TONS of Gens/ZH, especially competitive the first and second year it was out, all the Gens/ZH you listed as useless were VERY useful.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion :P

As I said before, those are just my experiences :) Other people's may vary. If I wasn't OP I would probably disagree with some units or even all that they posted ^_^

I could have put technician and left it as that ^_^

(pant, pant, pant)

:P

Trying to run off the new guy, DD? So few stick around beyond their first post and those that do are susceptible to an unexpected flogging.

Yeah well, I'm direct. What can I say?

'Before you talk smack, play a real game first.' Wow... play a real game? What is that exactly supposed to mean? So I haven't played a real game? Gee I guess RA 1 isn't a real game then... what a shame as its your favourite game! And one of mine =)

What I mean when I say that is play a real game online and not just against the AI.

'missile weapons are ineffective against the Toxin Tractor' <<< uhhh since when? they hit the tractor, it takes damage...

Not a lot of damage. It's not weak to the Missile Defender, Tank Hunter or RPG Trooper; hence why it's extremely necessary for anti-infantry combat and garrison clearing.

Not a lot of damage. It's not weak to the Missile Defender, Tank Hunter or RPG Trooper; hence why it's extremely necessary for anti-infantry combat and garrison clearing.

Yeah, I usually take two and maybe lose one, but that's really all the more needed to rush a garrisoned building successfully. More buildings take more tractors, but considering they are one-hit killing a whole squad of soldiers, its worth the sacrifice.

Yeah well, I'm direct. What can I say?

What I mean when I say that is play a real game online and not just against the AI.

-Ah I see what you mean, I do play online, and what I should have said is that my opponents human or AI seem to make the mobs very effective. So I must suck at making them kick butt ^_^ Specially against quad-cannons or flame tanks :P

*And yes Nmenth I agree that's about right, 2 for 1. as tractors don't have that great of range :P They should tow one of those fertilizer sprayers behind them for extra juice and power! ^_^

(pant, pant, pant) :P

Peace!

i love the mobs. use 'em to defend the base. not even Emperor passed thru.

i love to harrass my buddies with the mobs. just send in 8 - 10 & see how they mow down everything (but not thru gats, snipers & choppers)

..and why clear the building? bring in SCUD Launcher or buggies. collateral damage..hehe..

I don't understand why would angry mob be useless? Its the most insane powerful unit if left alone, guys.

Unless a Comanche or loaded Helix comes by. :P

True Comanche's kicked butt!

Helix's were beastly and sick, cept they were a little expensive as I remember and you had to fill it with 5 guys, so again quite expensive but a brutal damage machine!

^_^

-Hard to beat China's defense :P Bunkers N Gatts :)

Stealth Fighters.

+Bunker Busters.

Bunker busters don't bust china's own bunkers, just civilian garrisons, if I remember correctly.

Edited by Inferno

or some buggies will do the trick.

in fact, support power like A-10, artillery barrage etc works just fine against defences.

Funny nobody talks about the classic technician fella, or perhaps he's too useless to be discussed. Hmmmm... ...

Edited by Malevolence