Sign in to follow this  
chitzkoi

Most useless CNC unit ever!?

Funny nobody talks about the classic technician fella, or perhaps he's too useless to be discussed. Hmmmm... ...

Yeah but that was never a purchasable unit, and was never meant to do any good.

Red Alert Infantry: The only thing he was good against is the civilian that popped out of a destroyed ore truck.

I liked the devils tongue, build about 15 of them burrow into the back of someones base and take out their power. They become essentially crippled at that point.

Unless they have a few tanks?

Thought I'd share my thoughts. The three first titles are omitted since they were designed with multiplayer as an afterthought.

Hijacker (vGLA, Generals/Zero Hour)

This unit had the potential to turn the game around when it surprised an enemy, but the problem was it took so damned long to build and required a palace and a genpoint before they were available. China and USA were all but guaranteed to have counter-stealth in their mixes by the time these showed up (if you wanted to sacrifice your awesome genpoints for it) and you'd be better off with terrorists in technicals or demo traps in pretty much any situation these could be deployed. Stealthgen had vastly improved ones that were available at game start, but its older cousin is just pathetic.

Sentry Drone (USAs, Zero Hour)

Everything about this unit just screams "over-specialized". The Sentry Drone's pitiful detect range, terrible weapon upgrade, and backbreaking deploy logic meant it could only be used against the odd target that wouldn't fire back and came within close proximity. In groups, it could effectively hunt hero units and ambush flanking saboteurs, but the fact is that a Humvee with a scout drone was not only less expensive, but performed all the Sentry's roles with more mobility, firepower, and a wider detection spread. SWG and AFG had to pay EXTRA for these, plus, you needed to drop $1000 before you could even arm these losers with the weakest vehicle weapon in the game. Perhaps if USA had been designed with fewer "eyes" the unit might have worked out.

Battlemaster (vChina, Generals/Zero Hour)

Talk about pitiful. This unit, in its frailty and sluggishness, was a lot of free XP for the enemy no matter what their angle of attack was. A Listening Outpost could play the Batt's intended role better as well as its own. Even horded, the Batt was extremely vulnerable to so many kinds of attack and only stood a chance on the battlefield if the enemy had completely forgotten to build rocket infantry, which was never the case with any faction.

V3 Rocket Launcher (Soviets, Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge)

The collective uses for this unit are to attract fire from enemy GGIBFs (which tended to prioritize air units) and destroy civilian structures across bridges. It could not accomplish either of these without gratuitious numbers of rockets since the rockets were so damned easy to shoot down, and were decimated by anything from gun infantry to airstrikes. They were nothing more than an expensive liability.

Tesla Tank (Russia, Red Alert 2/Yuri's Revenge)

This is plainly a redundant unit. Tesla tanks had a higher DPS than Rhino Tanks and were never slowed down by walls, but were surprisingly frail in comparison and couldn't stand a chance against a horde of Main-Battle-Tanks from any faction since they wouldn't get any shots off as they tried to close the distance. The only remaining use for them outside of the occasional Iron Curtain base-rape was to hunt heros and kill fodder for your main tanks, but heroes were a rare sight and fodder only appeared alongside hordes of MBTs, the primary counter to these overpriced units. If you think that's bad, wait til you see how badly these things fare at battle lab level against the Allies or Yuri.

Edited by Otaku^Fetishization

I dunno. If I mixed ECMs with BMs, they were good as backup to Overlords and Dragon Tanks. More against GLA though. No air units to worry about.

It can work if the GLA doesn't have any tech micro. But the $800 you put into each Batt would be still spent better on Tank Hunters and gatts to cover the overlord's weaknesses and an airforce to hunt buggies and buses.

Oh! Also, Boris (RA2) was pretty useless as far as heroes go. Tanya could slaughter miners in allied mirrors, YP could sell off an entire base if you were distracted, but all Boris could do is sit by and hope he didn't get swarmed by tanks. Which is false hope if you make him wait for the MiGs to show up.

I felt boris was more effective than tanya. having a longer range weapon and call the mig strikes for buildings. smaller maps he rain down migs taking out most of the enemy base. great support unit when your main assault team goes in for the kill.

I prefer Boris as well. I rather have someone to call in an airstrike to take out a defensive turret instead of risking any health.

Well, as easy to bomb to death as he is, I suppose he's more cost-effective than the v3 and demo truck when it comes to siege :P

Well, as easy to bomb to death as he is

Boris can handle tanks better than Tanya or Yuri under most situations. Boris can also deal with infantry quite effectively. Buildings, he is slow with, but has better range than Tanya, enough so that only the Grand Cannon is a structural threat. So what are you bombing him to death with? Aircraft? Tanya and Yuri are equally inept at taking out aircraft as Boris.

Tanya

~vaporizes infantry

~instantly kills miners

~instantly kills tanks that get close

~can level structures in rapid succession

~is amphibious and can reliably kill unguarded capital ships

~can be airlifted, allowing attacks from an unexpected angle

Yuri Prime

~vaporizes infantry, but can't shoot very often

~can deal substantial damage to clusters of vehicles at a time

~can level structures in rapid succession

~can earn you money

~is amphibious

~has no effect on certain core units (dogs, brutes, robot tanks, and drones) which counter him hard

~has no effect on miners

Boris

~kills infantry and terror drones one at a time, fast enough to serve as anti-fodder

~can act as an anchor for a large group of tanks, or infantry though unable to deal substantial damage to them

~kept at the frontline due to terrain limits, making him planebait/prismbait/miragebait in SvA.

~can attack from long range with his siege weapon, only reliable siege in the Soviet arsenal until iron curtain

~vital in urban wars

~cannot perform siege without support due to long wait time

~negligible effect on miners

I know I just broke my own argument, but Boris is still no match for the other two YR heroes when it comes to impact. ;D

Tanya

~vaporizes infantry

~instantly kills miners * Only Allied, since she uses 0 range C4, armed miners can shoot back

~instantly kills tanks that get close * That get close, tanks that don't, especially anti-infantry tanks = dead Tanya

~can level structures in rapid succession * Except base defenses or structures protected by base defenses

~is amphibious and can reliably kill unguarded capital ships

~can be airlifted, allowing attacks from an unexpected angle * While true, this is micro management support, which is tactics, not unit ability (Using this argument, Boris can be considered amphibious, as he can be stuck inside an Amphibious Transport)

Yuri Prime

~vaporizes infantry, but can't shoot very often * Short range infantry vaporization

~can deal substantial damage to clusters of vehicles at a time * Not really, unless he nabs an Apocalypse Tank in the middle of a Flak Track squad

~can level structures in rapid succession * But some buildings are immune

~can earn you money

~is amphibious

~has no effect on certain core units (dogs, brutes, robot tanks, and drones) which counter him hard

~has no effect on miners

Boris

~kills infantry and terror drones one at a time, fast enough to serve as anti-fodder

~can act as an anchor for a large group of tanks, or infantry though unable to deal substantial damage to them * Nevertheless, better than Tanya or Yuri

~kept at the frontline due to terrain limits, making him planebait/prismbait/miragebait in SvA.

~can attack from long range with his siege weapon, only reliable siege in the Soviet arsenal until iron curtain

~vital in urban wars

~cannot perform siege without support due to long wait time

~negligible effect on miners * Of course, if it's Soviet or Yuri Miners, he is the best hero for the job

Tanya

~instantly kills miners * Only Allied, since she uses 0 range C4, armed miners can shoot back

~instantly kills tanks that get close * That get close, tanks that don't, especially anti-infantry tanks = dead Tanya

~can level structures in rapid succession * Except base defenses or structures protected by base defenses

~can be airlifted, allowing attacks from an unexpected angle * While true, this is micro management support, which is tactics, not unit ability (Using this argument, Boris can be considered amphibious, as he can be stuck inside an Amphibious Transport)

1. This is true. Sorry I didn't specify.

2. Irrelevant since "tanks" in RA2/YR refers to the spammable, mobile MBTs that Tanya has the unique ability to intercept except when they're en masse or are accompanied by solid anti-infantry.

3. If they're placed too close together for Tanya to handle, you probably shouldn't be attacking the area in the first place.

4. All factions get water transports and Boris is useless except when on dry land. That's not an amphibious unit and Tanya isn't an aerial unit. If you're not going to take tactical combinations into consideration than Boris is pretty far behind the other two heroes.

Yuri Prime

~vaporizes infantry, but can't shoot very often * Short range infantry vaporization

~can deal substantial damage to clusters of vehicles at a time * Not really, unless he nabs an Apocalypse Tank in the middle of a Flak Track squad

~can level structures in rapid succession * But some buildings are immune

1. His D ability has a wider radius than that of the Yuri Clone.

2. His D ability also damages nearby vehicles.

3. I can only name one: the slave miner.

Boris

~can act as an anchor for a large group of tanks, or infantry though unable to deal substantial damage to them * Nevertheless, better than Tanya or Yuri

~negligible effect on miners * Of course, if it's Soviet or Yuri Miners, he is the best hero for the job

1. YP still performs it better since he can shut down the first unit that comes near him, but the mastermind and yuri clone still tend to be even better for that role.

2. If it's Soviet or Yuri Miners, it's compulsory that you stick to tanks.

2. Irrelevant since "tanks" in RA2/YR refers to the spammable, mobile MBTs that Tanya has the unique ability to intercept except when they're en masse or are accompanied by solid anti-infantry.

Not irrelevant. Boris can hold his own against tanks quite well, he can even take on anti-infantry units 1 on 1 (although Yuri can too).

3. Why would you attack those with Tanya? Or any lone hero, for that matter. Or **** that... Infantry? Why would you use infantry to attack structures protected by base defenses if you weren't behind an army of tanks?

Not the point. Boris can attack base defenses or defended structures.

4. All factions get water transports and Boris is useless except when on dry land. That's not an amphibious unit and Tanya isn't an aerial unit. If you're not going to take tactical combinations into consideration than Boris is pretty far behind the other two heroes.

Aside from Tanya being airlifted, this has, so far, been completely about the units' individual abilities.

1. His D ability has a wider radius than that of the Yuri Clone.

2. His D ability also damages nearby vehicles.

I'll use the same response for both of these... It still sucks.

3. I can only name one: the slave miner.

Chronosphere

Cloning Vat

Genetic Mutator

Industrial Plant

Iron Curtain

Ore Purifier

Nuclear Missile Silo

Psychic Dominator

Psychic Tower

Slave miner (as you recalled)

Weather Control

1. YP still performs it better since he can shut down the first unit that comes near him, but the mastermind and yuri clone still tend to be even better for that role.

If the other tanks ignore the one captured tank, Yuri has no chance. Boris (and Tanya) can kill the tanks.

2. If it's Soviet or Yuri Miners, it's compulsory that you stick to tanks.

Maybe so, but if you're going to use a hero, it'd have to be Boris.

Not the point. Boris can attack base defenses or defended structures.

You got me. How long does it take for the building to get killed, 10 seconds? It's like the nuke from Starcraft except it takes no effort to stop unless you're totally out of units and aircraft.

And it kills one building at a time.

Aside from Tanya being airlifted, this has, so far, been completely about the units' individual abilities.

I made sure to explain that Boris is almost worthless without support - given the frontline role he's confined to, while YP and Tanya are both much more capable of functioning without backup. In small-scale micro battles Boris might do well, but those battles don't exist at lab level in YR. This thread isn't about individual unit strengths, it's about practical application. I'll admit that Boris is flexible compared to the other two heroes especially when there's very little naval presence, but the problem is that everything he tries at, he's too slow in accomplishing.

I'll use the same response for both of these... It still sucks.

Not in a large-scale tank battle it doesn't. Not that I'd get YP when I could just use masterminds and magnet stops to prevent anything from ever advancing on or away from my tanks.

If the other tanks ignore the one captured tank, Yuri has no chance. Boris (and Tanya) can kill the tanks.

Hero units will never engage entire groups of tanks alone unless they're doing a suicide run into a retreating group (which Boris can't do). In order for Boris or Yuri Prime to stand a chance in a stand-up frontline battle they'll need to have an army of tanks built around them. Boris has the power to prevent advances and soak up shots for the rhinos, which each deal more damage than Boris. As long as the lashers (no MMs yet) are not in full retreat, YP can guarantee the death of the first unit to enter his weapon range and some wasted shots for the enemy tanks, then retreat immediately as his army's tanks advance, making it impossible to catch him unless you've got a sniper in the mix (which nullifies Boris just as hard).