Sonic

Command & Conquer 4 Previewed in PC Gamer UK

PC Gamer UK is the latest of the print media to preview Command & Conquer 4. And RoXoR, a member on the Official C&C Forums, was kind enough to provide scans. Most of the information has already been covered though, but worth a read if your playing catch up.

pcgamer_cnc4.jpg

Click here to check out the scans from the magazine.

Nice updates. Wasted that the magazine doesn't include new ingame screenshots and stuff.

Some quotable quotes...

"... the eyebrow also points to a rebirth of a franchise that has started to turn stale. PC gaming is very different place to what it was 15 years ago. Game design has moved on. C&C hadn't, until now. The cliche's - fixed bases, long supply chains of trucks and harvesters, and especially swift tank matches - are being replaced with a true 21st century strategy game."

"... Oh, and Kane will almost certainly die in newly credible cut scenes. For good, this time."

"... the game begins in 2062, ten years after Kane's Wrath... Humanity is pretty screwed. the things we used to keep the crystals from growing aren't working any more. By the end of 2068 we will have no air, no water. We're doomed and there's nothing we can do about it. This is when Kane Steps in... While there are fundamentalists on both sides unhappy with arrangement, the surprise is that it works. The C&C universe enters it's own cold war, and for 16 years the world is rebuilt... the once ruined landscapes are terraformed to look like the fading memories of earth's past...

The GDI campaign is currently called "The Man who kiled Kane" and it's designed to be a fast-paced action-orientated science fiction story... designed to fill in gaps and explain the Lore.

The Nod campaign is currently called "All things must end"... and it explores Kane's motivations for the change in mind and reveals the truth behind Kane's plan... the what, the who, they why. It's more nuanced than the action-orientatated GDI story"

...efforts were made to have each storyline exist logically side by side... (rather than) contradicting campaigns (where) whichever faction you played would win.

"There's this belief that FMV is inherently campy, but the goal of the tiberium universe is actually pretty serious. It's not a happy fun tale. So what we wanted to... go for a grittier, more serious tone... we're trying to get the standards of performance and acting up a little bit, make the characters more convincing. We're trying to cast people who can really play the characters, as opposed to just be famous, and thus get attention..."

img3bind.jpg

Those ****ers better not even THINK about killing Kane, FOR ****ING GOOD!

I might have to burn EA down....

There was also some useful information about the mechanic of unit building... read that last page if you want to know more.

YOU CAN'T KILL THE MESSIAH!!!

(When I saw the line about "cliche" I couldn't resist quoting it... it's not cliche it's canon!!!)

I love the timeline, it's quite a good round up of what's happened.

Those ****ers better not even THINK about killing Kane, FOR ****ING GOOD!

I might have to burn EA down....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: dude just LOL

ok lets get serious i am bring in the c4 you go get some time charges,

i am gona call some crazy self suicide friends of mine, to strap them with the explosives. buahahahahaha

go now i will meet you out side EALA building dude in the park. :)

and then...................

fanatic.png

"in the name of KANE!!!!!"

Sam Bass says "we're trying to cast characters who can really play the characters, as opposed to just be famous, and thus get us attention".

Best news Ever! we may have to postpone the attack for a while....

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Yea!

Sam Bass says "we're trying to cast characters who can really play the characters, as opposed to just be famous, and thus get us attention".

Finally we've got their attention. The next question is will the writers of the scripts and the FMV director ruin the whole FMV sequences?

Finally we've got their attention. The next question is will the writers of the scripts and the FMV director ruin the whole FMV sequences?

Agree, but as i said once, I'm afraid that EALA with that and some other things (comebacks of some TS units) just trying to compensate for their complete overhaul of C&C gameplay mechanic.

Edited by mirza044

Now that is very surprising, all that Hollywood casts has to come off from their heads when the franchise was meant about serious acting, not some famous Hollywood show-offs. Oh, I also hope they work on the CGI part as well, I hate to say that, but that has to come into our attention as well.

Nice updates. Wasted that the magazine doesn't include new ingame screenshots and stuff.

All the print media get the same demo, info and screen shots to show. Eventually all the screen shots you have seen in the magazines scans should be available in hi-res online.

"... the eyebrow also points to a rebirth of a franchise that has started to turn stale. PC gaming is very different place to what it was 15 years ago. Game design has moved on. C&C hadn't, until now. The cliche's - fixed bases, long supply chains of trucks and harvesters, and especially swift tank matches - are being replaced with a true 21st century strategy game."

See EALA have reasons for the big changes. The devs can't and probably don't want to work on the same game every couple of years. They could have played it safe a simply made C&C 4 just like C&C 3 and end the story that way. But its so great see something news for a change.

I'm glad these changes are coming. I don't know about you guys but in all honesty I know I couldn't take another game with same old system of base building/resource collection. For the benifit and future of the franchise it has to evolve and push forward. Deep down inside all guys moaning about the changes know it.

Sonic personally i am thinking positive about all those changes, but i have to confess that there is a worry in my mind on how the execution of this great ideas will be and in the final game and still feel like cnc!

a very good example that a good idea turned to kill a great franshize was for me the Age of Empires 3, until then the clasic rts and amazing visuals was perfect and great to play, but they turn the rts to turn base slow rts with all those economy stuff in it that for me and thousand other people totally killed what it could be a very very strong game. the results from the sales? Ensemble studios had to be closed by Microsoft.

i dont want cnc to become a boring DOW 2 game style. thats all, i believe in those changes and i have to agree that by doing the same game with better graphics every 1-2 years wasnt that amazing :(

from my own inside info the game targets to be a new RTS(T) genre it self and not copy bad/boring elements from other games,(ground control 2, dow 1,2, starcraft, warcraft 3 etc) it will still be fast action paste just not with this stupid perfect order "building recipe" to win, and the 10000 tanks win everything spam.

i like that.

p.s look this damn cool prototype MK2 that was amasing i dont get why they gave us something so "squared"

Edited by Sonic

I'm glad these changes are coming. I don't know about you guys but in all honesty I know I couldn't take another game with same old system of base building/resource collection. For the benifit and future of the franchise it has to evolve and push forward. Deep down inside all guys moaning about the changes know it.

I strongly disagree.

(These game mechanics should have been done in a spin-off not the main universe.)

So you would have been more than happy to accept another C&C with same old tired gameplay/base building/resource system?

Your completely entitled to disagree, but I do find it very concerning that people are unwilling to accept innovation and change.

So you would have been more than happy to accept another C&C with same old tired gameplay/base building/resource system?

Yes. Some of us, Sonic, are not yet tired of C&C.

Your completely entitled to disagree, but I do find it very concerning that people are unwilling to accept innovation and change.

Innovation is the ability to queue up units starting in TS, lock the 'camera' onto moving units, having special powers aside from super weapons, sides in which every unit has a secondary ability. C&C 4 is not just innovation and change, it is a total overhaul.

Will C&C be a complete disaster? I hope not, and it may not be, but this is not the tried and true C&C, this is untested, experimental, radically altered C&C. What if it does turn out to be the worst game of the millennium? That would eternally taint the entire series and could never be undone.

If this was a spinoff game that wasn't the conclusion to a story we have been watching, probing, and enjoying for over a decade, I couldn't care less if they messed with the genre and game play. However, it is, and they did. That is the problem.

Concerned that fans are unable to set aside their fears of EALA meddling with the game like GDI the tacitus? You should be concerned that you aren't as concerned as we are.

Holy cow what clip is that? fan made? the environment and background is so TS, so nostalgic!!!

Too much, too fast, and in the wrong game (finale of the story arc).

Also that Area52 video clip is fan-made.

As for me, I have no idea whether I am excited or sad, or a bit of both. With all the speculations at this point of time, I think I'll have to wait to see how it'll be like when a leaked/released gameplay is circulated.

Also that Area52 video clip is fan-made.

Surprisingly that clip just pwned C&CTW FMVs. I'm serious.

Hmm... :unsure: I think the time has come for me to not comment in news threads any more. Especially in news threads that concern C&C 4. I should probably return to my no comment/neutral stance like I used to be. Because our views clash it feels like an argument, not going download that road again.

Hmm... :unsure: I think the time has come for me to not comment in news threads any more. Especially in news threads that concern C&C 4. I should probably return to my no comment/neutral stance like I used to be. Because our views clash it feels like an argument, not going download that road again.

But Sonic I would very much like to hear ALL your views elsewhere (e.g. C&C4 topic subforum). Debate is good, and sometimes some crazy idea just evolve from these debates. Please share your own personal views there!

Holy cow what clip is that? fan made? the environment and background is so TS, so nostalgic!!!

no its an early render for Westwood's cnc twilight, the desert atmospheric is indeed very nostalgic.

also (a little of topic) Tiberium ingame engine's renders wastnt bad at all and the atmosphere also feels nice!

lots of Tiberium stuff here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/Alex06CoSonic

Edited by Johnnyxp64

no its an early render for Westwood's cnc twilight, the desert atmospheric is indeed very nostalgic.

You mean Tiberian Odyssey.

Nope, I'm happy they do it, and even happier that they do it with the distant sequel to Tiberian Dawn- after all, it's THE strategy game after Dune 2 that changed the genre forever, so it's fitting to overhaul it here. We just had too many Tiberian games already to make me put up with basebuilding again. I guess it was a strategic decision; if they made the changes to a completely new IP, they could have failed altogether. Here, at least the story could save it (Even though Mr. Bass seriously needs some Math classes :P).

Edited by hagren

Please don't stop commenting Sonic, your opinion is valuable.

Mighty Bob has pretty much summed up my points in other threads...

I just wanted to focus on the story not experimental game mechanics. I wanted them to focus on an immersive atmosphere and tight, coherant, internally consistent storyline.

I don't know how to put this... C&C4 without base building and tiberium harvesting is kinda like cheap sex without the foreplay.

hmmm... you're all probably going off on the wrong tangent there... but I don't know how else to describe it.

And I certainly agree with Nmenth that this is no mere innovation... it's a complete overhaul.

I'm trying to keep an open mind until I least play the beta, but I'm pretty dissapointed so far.