Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

StarCraft II Officially Delayed To 2010

From Kotaku - http://kotaku.com/5330873/

It's official. You won't be playing StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty this year, as Blizzard has moved the release date of the real-time strategy game to the "first half of 2010." No, they never dated it; but they have now.

Activision Blizzard's reason for the delay of StarCraft II is reportedly tied to the relaunch of its upgraded Battle.net service, which handles multiplayer for all things Blizzard. In a statement to the Blizzard community, the developer writes "Over the past couple of weeks, it has become clear that it will take longer than expected to prepare the new Battle.net for the launch of the game."

Blizzard calls the new Battle.net an "integral part of the StarCraft II experience and will be an essential part of all of our games moving forward." Activision CEO Bobby Kotick said during an investor call today that the new iteration of Battle.net will likely be ready "early next year."

While disappointing, it's not surprising. Blizzard staffers have indicated a need for a four to six month beta period for StarCraft II, one that has yet to kick off, eight months into 2009.

Blizzard had previously planned for one "frontline" release this year, largely presumed to be the first entry in the StarCraft II trilogy, a goal that it doesn't appear it will be meeting. Your best bet for going hands-on with StarCraft II in 2009 is either a trip to BlizzCon or (possibly) during Gamescom in Cologne.

I'm not really surprised by this. StarCraft II probably won't hit retail until May/June 2010 I feel.

Good. I'm glad it's delayed. I like a better product in the end. It's like Ocarina of Time and Brawl; delayed and delayed but the result was a lot better.

I wonder how much of a better product it will be in the end. I think a lot of people are expecting a bit too much from SCII on release.

My bet, it won't be out first half 2010, more like end of 2012! ^_^

If only EA could do that to improve their products before official launch, damn.

Err how about no?

Delaying a game is fine, but Blizzard just takes the piss.

StarCraft 2 should have been made and released years ago, but when your raking in the cash from the likes of World of Warcraft why bother.

When can we start putting StarCraft 2 into Duke Nukem Forever territory? Ok so it not at that stage just yet ;)

Yeah something along those lines. ^_^

Classy reply DD!

:)

Well it's not a big dissapointment, this is one company where you just have to factor in delays.

But I note the delays are battlenet related not necessary game related, so it's debatable how much better the end-result will be. I guess it's possible that they could be further along with Ep2.

(Sonic - that was a low blow!)

;)

fpalm.gif

this says it all....

The developers making SCII sure has perform tons of crazy stunts to cause some outroar among the korean fanbase, first we have the "trilogy" concept, breaking the product and selling to 3 parts, then we have the recent "disabling LAN" talks. Meh.

too many people are like "oh its gonna be awesome now that its delayed", well i can remember a few games that were delayed that ended up sucking :/

too many people are like "oh its gonna be awesome now that its delayed", well i can remember a few games that were delayed that ended up sucking :/

A handful of companies know when to delay games and for what reason. Blizzard is one of the few unfortunately... >_>

Cleaned up this thread in an effort save the discussion. Please refrain from childish insults.

(Sonic - that was a low blow!)

;)

Really, I thought it was funny :)

I'm just waiting for the riot reports in Korea, it's the equivalent of saying you're gonna make baseball 2.0 in the US and delaying it XD