Johnnyxp64

How To Play Generals / Zero Hour In Windows 7 X64

Hi

I'm having trouble with both Generals and Zero Hour..

I've updated my graphics drivers to the latest version, I've set the game to run as an admin in winxp sp3, I've manually updated the game to version 1.8 and 1.4 respectively and I've made the options.ini-file..

I've gone from the game crashing and getting a dumb-file in the generals-folder in My Doc's to the game showing me the splash-screen and then nothing happens when it dissapear..

Any suggestions on a solution?

Sincerely

St_Vitruvius

Run Worldbuilder and tell me what it says when it crashes. Also, consider reinstalling. To a different folder, if possible.

I have got this really disturbing problem, I cant load saved games. An error message is shown pointing at the folder where i store the saved games but nothing more do you guys have any idea whats up?

Hey all, First off. I'm running W7 64bit, I've installed TFD and try to load up Generals & Zero Hour from the main selection screen but It keeps saying the "Insert DVD ROM" Message. Any Ideas? Also I was going to try the fix you posted but the Zero Hour Data file isn't there. Help would be appreciated.

Update: The Original Command & Conquer works perfectly, Red Alert works fine but has colour issues, Renegade works fine but has dialogue skips every now and then and Red Alert 2 works as well. Tiberium Sun, Yuris Revenge, Generals and Zero Hour all give me the "Insert DVD ROM" Message

Edited by CraigChaotic

Update: The Original Command & Conquer works perfectly, Red Alert works fine but has colour issues, Renegade works fine but has dialogue skips every now and then and Red Alert 2 works as well. Tiberium Sun, Yuris Revenge, Generals and Zero Hour all give me the "Insert DVD ROM" Message

Update TFD to 1.03 rev4. Set compatibility modes for Win98 on RA1, TS/FS and YR. This patch also removes the need for the DVD and clears up quite a bit of the game install space usage on the hard drive. It'll surely solve your Gens/ZH problem.

hi everyone i need some help. i bought generals and zero hour for like $5 on amazon and had them installed on my old computer and they ran perfectly. i just installed them on my new computer and like everyone else i have problems. my computer has windows 7, 8g of ram, i5 processor, and two graphics cards for switchable graphics it has an intel hd graphics card that it supposed to switch to for power saving and then it has an ATI mobility radeon hd 5650 (which is what i use most of the time)

after doing the options.ini file thing i got both games working. without patching generals i put in zero hour and patched it with the 1.04 patch. when i started up the game everything ran smoothly until i started a skirmish. as soon as the map loads my game starts lagging without me moving anything so i let it sit for a second and the lag stopped until i moved my first dozer to build a power plant. seeing that this was going to be a problem i backed out of the game to the main menu which now also lagged went to the options menu and changed eveything i could and nothing helped. i also switched between both graphics cards and got the same problem

so i exited zero hour and patched generals to see if that would help which it didnt generals lags just as much as zero hour. i looked online and saw the the zero hour 1.04 patch causes alot of lag so i uninstalled both games deleted all the files left over and reinstalled so i could start with fresh versions of both games but my problem still continues. so after more searching i saw a comment on another site with some who also had a lag issue and said that EA told them to delete the data file and repair the game with the uninstall options. after doing that it got so that the main menu no longer lags but the game still does when i try to play.

so basically when trying to play single player the game lags for about a second ever other second, making it pretty impossible to play. also while the game is frozen i can still move my mouse cursor around unless im trying to place a building somewhere.

also i dont know if this is related but a couple times as the game would lag every 2 seconds i could hear my fan spin up and slow down every 2 second with it, but this has only happend once or twice . most of the time the fan stays normal.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Edited by Timbo0024

i looked online and saw the the zero hour 1.04 patch causes alot of lag

???????

also i dont know if this is related but a couple times as the game would lag every 2 seconds i could hear my fan spin up and slow down every 2 second with it, but this has only happend once or twice . most of the time the fan stays normal.

Whoa, things got serious. Are the game discs clean? Do you have some really nasty viruses? Does this persist with other games (not necessarily C&C)?

Thanks for that fairly swift reply, everything is working perfectly now. I have one more thing to ask, how do I change the resolution so each game is at the best quality and fits the screen, I changed the settings in the options menu which did improve the quality and clarity but it also made the likes of C&C,RE1 & 2 become too small for my liking, Is there a way to avoid this?

C&C 1 - go to the install folder and run CCSetup.exe. Change the resolution there and click OK.

RA1 - AFAIK, there is only one resolution in RA1. You can beta test the community-made hi-res patch - http://forums.cncnz....testers-needed/

RA2 - go to the ingame options and set the resolution

my game discs are clean and i can play red alert 3 and kanes wrath without any problems. and so does star craft 2 (which sucks compared to command and conquer)

im pretty sure i dont have any viruses my scans came up clean and since i have two computers i do all of my downloading on my old one and check it out before transferring data to my newer one.

Edited by Timbo0024

Use cnc-ddraw.

Here's a new one...

So, running Windows 7 64-bit. Generals runs fine, Zero Hour doesn't. It loads up and crashes back to desktop.

However, when set to Windows XP Service Pack 3, it runs...but with no video... I get the sound of the EA Games logo, the intro movie sound, and the main menu. BUt no video on my screen at all.

Any ideas?

I'm using a MacBook Air 2011 (1.6 i5, HD3000, 4GB RAM)

Did you create the INI config file that ZH reads? If you don't create it, the game will act dumb and crash. I found that out on my last install of 7 Pro x64.

trow the Mac out of the Window get a proper machine (yeah i mean PC) and make sure all your divers are updated, also i got some PM from guys with cracked version, if you are gona use cracks that load the game without the need for CD then make sure you have the proper ones and not some stupid virus you pick from the first site you got when you googled for cracks! :rolleyes:

with love always

p.s totally recommend the MOD Rise of The Reds. kicks ass. since Generals 2 is nowhere to be found yet..... :(

Edited by Johnnyxp64

A three-year old thread still continuing with some success. Unfortunately I found something weird loading this in Win7 64-bit for both Generals and Zero Hour. The main menu shell video won't play and the highest resolution (i.e. 1920 x 1080) had no effect with the sizes of the sidebars and other UI HUDs when playing in-game.

The main menu shell video won't play and the highest resolution (i.e. 1920 x 1080) had no effect with the sizes of the sidebars and other UI HUDs when playing in-game.

Tried GenTool?

I know what GenTool is, an unofficial patch mod to both Generals & Zero Hour that can work on all recent versions of Windows including 64-bit but without new balance changes and other global changes. But I wonder why it wasn't added into the C&C TFD patch.

• Downvote 1

Because the last TFD patch was made years ago, duh.

The shell map won't play unless you set Windows XP compatibility mode on generals.exe.

And yes GenTool was created after the TFD patch was released and was a ton of C&C 1.06 versions and CnCNet 2.0, 3.0 and 4.0 :P

Greetings there people, i was trying to find solution to the ground graphic glitch i have in ZH...i was trying to solve this for 3 months and still i am stucked. Here is how it looks:

glitchCNC.jpg

Its starting to be annoying even to play...Downloaded latest drivers, updated Generals and ZH to the latest patch , got all DX files. And still...i dunno what to do

Tried using compatibility mode for WinXP, running as admin, disabling whatever UAC is?

Tried using compatibility mode for WinXP, running as admin, disabling whatever UAC is?

nope didnt helped....UAC completely shut down, XP compatibility (normal,SP1,SP2,SP3) tested, run as admin(turned on and of)

MY PC:

Intel Core2duo E6750, GeForce 6800GS, 2GB DDR2.

All drivers are up to date.Tested it with old drivers and new ones....same result

Edited by Varthog

I believe this problem is known as "artifacting", its basically a sign of a faulty video card. Do you have any problems in other games?