Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

C&C 4 - The Big Questions Answered By EP BigMike

Command & Conquer 4 Executive Producer Mike "BigMike" Glosecki tries to answer some fans' questions in his first Command & Conquer 4 blog posted on the Official C&C Site.

BigMikeBlogPromo.jpg

Here is a small sample:

Well, here we are, the first blog for C&C 4! I am very excited to have the opportunity to talk about our game but I’m also feeling more than a little trepidation; over the years we’ve seen some excellent blogs by our previous development leaders such as Mike Verdu. As you might suspect, Mike’s something of a hard act to follow but I promise to do my best.

The answers include,

• Why C&C 4 is an online game.
  • Inability to build structures any more.
  • The absence of Tiberium in screenshots.
  • Some curiosity concerning the Crawlers.
normal_screen12.jpg

Read the full blog to get all his answers right here, on the Official C&C Site.

Ah, cool so Tiberium and base-building are not completely gone.

Answered? I don't think he really mentioned anything that we didn't already know...

nothing new and all blog (or QA) is so pathetic...

As for his online speech, he just stated the good stuff about it, have they ever thought about those fans who are having internet problems in their countries because of their weak and lousy ISPs? Fortunately I ain't one of them, but can't EA spare a thought for them?

Edited by Malevolence

Ok, let me comment one by one on each of the questions.

1. Purely online now?! A BAD MISTAKE, EA. Once an RTS genre now turned MMO! You're so dead! We still demand an offline version but you screw us with that answer to move to online? Like I still said, you all think America with the people who can afford high speed connections and you keep on leaving us poorer people in poorer countries who have to suffer with slower connections! You left us for dead! That's it! I'm NOT buying pure original, torrent or pirated version here I come! You lost a customer, and I bet you'll lose even more! Sure, offline will suffer with people cheating, but guess what, not everyone can afford internet connections when they're busy with their jobs or either poor to get one for their homes, and going to internet cafes doesn't mean the problem is 100% solved or considered as 100% alternate solutions. And what if I'm off overseas with completely different connections which I can't connect at all?! Overall, I prefer old school with CDs & no cracking to do, I love the 90s time, the millennium & today sucks like hell!

2. I sure hope the future screenshots show more. Because what I really wish is the entire world is not just suffering with those green crystals, I rather see more of Tiberium fauna & flora as well as those Tiberium creatures, veinholes, etc.. Follow Firestorm! DON'T follow C&C3 environment!

3. No comment until further details acquired.

4. I'm not sure about the crawlers, so I'll continue to leave it into your hands.

Edited by Silverthorn

Lol chill Silverthorn. I'm sure their online compulsory scheme is flawed as hackers will still come up with something to enable offline modes for their illegal packages. Its kinda funny the way the blog mentioned its masking the true reason behind the full online mode.

Ahh, thanks for telling me, Mal. And yeap, no matter whatever games created, there's always an offline mode made available by hackers. And besides, I already care less of EA when I'm still a hardcore Westwoodian like I described and told you about, I'm 80% Westwood and I don't care if they're dead. But still, torrent or pirated version is still for me. Remember Uprising, through download-only is still flawed too, if you do your research of how to get a free copy, the results are nearly everywhere.

Guest Stevie_K

Nothing new, other than now it's Mike that tries to make us think those features are cool and new. imo they're not.

Nod and GDI are allied? WICKED!!!... so this game just doesn't make any sense now does it? :)

"Why C&C 4 is an online game?

Because we don't like pirates"

Silverthorn: You said everything I thought :)

Edited by Jarzka

online alltime is just stupid, the game will be cracked no matter what, so for examle people that dont have internet connection for ANY reason at all,( they just moved and they need 2 months like in my country to connect them to a 24bps like, they have no time, no money to spend on internet and hey dude pstn dialup may seems ages ago to you but here almos 30-40% off the population living in smaller towns dont have internet adsl and the dialup SUCKS na d occupies the damn phone (you cant call) and it costs a lot for just a damn game!!!!!!)

all those people are doomed!

i personally have no internet problems (right now) but i scream for all thouse who have!

if you want your sells to be increase you must sell to more people not to LESS! what you are allowing the EA boses to do to this trust me will be "maybe" your doom! i am 1000% sure the next game will not have this garbage online alltime demand, and piratedcopies will be arround no matter what you do!

and after all you havent prrove trust worthy enought in the online community years now and specially in customers support!

you try to compaire your self with Blizzard and you critisise them for been stuck in the old RTS mode

well guess what, they will sell Billions of SC2 Copies because they just DONT force you to be online alltime just for the SP! and they make a hell of Online servers and support more than 10+ years now, and we now when Blizzard is releasing a game, they support it FOREVER!

EA doesnt!

so you want people to buy a game to play online from a company not worth trusty for their online LAG and support, not trusted for their continues patch support over bugs, and not trusted about online multiplayer expireance (see desync issues in kw i dont care if it was outsource)

Dear EA (not EALA cause EALA really dont think they are that stupid to ask for all-time online)

so Dear EA Idiot Manager that you think only fast making money,

you dare to ask a hell a LOT from us

when you have given NOTHING the last 10 Years! :thumbsdown::angry:

i am totally pissed off and i wish there was an emoticon with a "finger" to give you dear managers!

i feel sorry for the Dev team they will be out of job in the future, because (they didn't sell enough!) and EA Bosses will blame EALA team for their own stupid decisions!

mark my words people! this is going to happen in the future.-

like what Microsoft did with Assembly Studios and AOE 3.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

online alltime is just stupid, the game will be cracked no matter what, so for examle people that dont have internet connection for ANY reason at all,( they just moved and they need 2 months like in my country to connect them to a 24bps like, they have no time, no money to spend on internet and hey dude pstn dialup may seems ages ago to you but here almos 30-40% off the population living in smaller towns dont have internet adsl and the dialup SUCKS na d occupies the damn phone (you cant call) and it costs a lot for just a damn game!!!!!!)

i personally have no internet problems (right now) but i scream for all thouse who have!

if you want your sells to be increase you must sell to more people not to LESS! what you are allowing the EA boses to do to this trust me will be "maybe" your doom! i am 1000% sure the next game will not have this garbage online alltime demand, and piratedcopies will be arround no matter what you do!

and after all you havent prrove trust worthy enought in the online community years now and specially in customers support!

you try to compaire your self with Blizzard and you critisise them for been stuck in the old RTS mode

well guess what, they will sell Billions of SC2 Copies because they just DONT force you to be online alltime just for the SP! and they make a hell of Online servers and support more than 10+ years now, and we now when Blizzard is releasing a game, they support it FOREVER!

EA doesnt!

so you want people to buy a game to play online from a company not worth trusty for their online LAG and support, not trusted for their continues patch support over bugs, and not trusted about online multiplayer expireance (see desync issues in kw i dont care if it was outsource)

Dear EA (not EALA cause EALA really dont think they are that stupid to ask for all-time online)

i am totally pissed off and i wish there was an emoticon with a "finger" to give you dear managers!

i feel sorry for the Dev team they will be out of job in the future, because (they didn't sell enough!) and EA Bosses will blame EALA team for their own stupid decisions!

Nice post ^_^ I'm almost agree in everything with what you said

EA doesnt!

Classic post of the day. :D

Well, it probably requires an internet connection, but it doesnt run on an internet connection. It could run just as smooth (single player wise) with a dial-up connection as it does with a much better connection. Didn't EA say they tried it on Dial Up and it ran perfectly? (or as good as they can get it for now)

Plus they might still add an offline mode at the very last minute. Make it where you cant play online nor gain Experience Points.

The more and more I see this game. The more and more its reminding me of Dune. All we need now is some sand worms, glowing eyes, sting, and everything will be perfect.

Well, it probably requires an internet connection, but it doesnt run on an internet connection. It could run just as smooth (single player wise) with a dial-up connection as it does with a much better connection. Didn't EA say they tried it on Dial Up and it ran perfectly? (or as good as they can get it for now)

Plus they might still add an offline mode at the very last minute. Make it where you cant play online nor gain Experience Points.

this is not going to work at least not until 3-4 patches will be released.

dont you remember RA3 black lag screens? the game required (and still does) to check online for new versions and originality everytime you where moving in the menu, despite your INTERNET speed their servers was so crappy they didnt work at all! and people couldnt enjoy a game 24/7 because their server problem!

its really stupid to buy a game to play anytime you wish but due to some isp stupid issues or EA's incompetence and servers, you cant play it! if this is going to work like an MMO then lets be charged like an mmo! i would pay every time i play IF the game can start and even play!

not pay and then pray to play! :angry:

p.s dont get me wrong here, EALA's intentions with EA managers intentions are completely different, now they just try to persuade us with useless blog info and try to find the "good" stuff in a BAD decision.

, c one in most interviews They don't even believe their own crap they are forced to say about online progression! duh.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Playing an MMO game requires heavy care of servers and also needs a super server to maintain them, that's how Blizzard maintain their WoW games with fewer complaints. If the dev team would to use the same RTS server or even the lousy Gamespy, once the game crashes due to overload or don't have enough strength to hold up the high number of players, C&C4 is a total failure, I rather play it as a regular RTS instead of an MMO like WoW.

Acutally, I think StarCraft II is a bad example because that one doesn't include a network mode and therefore forces you to use the Online Mode for just Network-Multiplayer too.

Furthermore, they are in no way better than EA here because they definitely use it against software "piracy" (under " because piracy is strictly speaking actually the totally wrong term) but tried to "cover" it by saying that they want everyone to use the new Battle.net (2.0) because of the new features and such things like e.g. Statistics. Actually, they could either include some of those things easily for Network mode too or actually I don't even necessarily need them if I just want to play over LAN.

If both of them would at least have the "courage" to admit that it is an anti-piracy measure... I still wouldn't buy them but they would at least be honest.

Actually, LAN parties - which are a bit bigger - should be kinda hard with everyone requiring an internet connection - normal DSL probably won't be enough because even if they are not in the same game they still use the same internet connection speed. Especially, in case of ADSL the upload speed should be reached relatively soon.

This is the reason why I won't buy any of those two games - at least not at the beginning but maybe once the have reached the "bargain price range".

Also I want to point out that with solely online there is another problem and that is that once they servers have been removed the game will be completely useless. Btw. the same goes for StarCraft II's non-existing LAN-Mode too. However, Blizzard normally doesn't shut down servers. However, from EA we already learnt that they do so.

Not to mention that for most things I just don't want to be online and it doesn't really matter if you have a good internet connection or not, to require an internet connection for things you obviously don't need it is just lame.

Furthermore, there is the possibility that under some circumstances that I want to play the game that I don't have any internet connection at all - e.g. ISP is down because a lightning struck an "important structure" or I am on holiday somewhere and want to play it on my Notebook or something like this.

Edited by ghost_zero

Acutally, I think StarCraft II is a bad example because that one doesn't include a network mode and therefore forces you to use the Online Mode for just Network-Multiplayer too.

Furthermore, they are in no way better than EA here because they definitely use it against software "piracy" (under " because piracy is strictly speaking actually the totally wrong term) but tried to "cover" it by saying that they want everyone to use the new Battle.net (2.0) because of the new features and such things like e.g. Statistics. Actually, they could either include some of those things easily for Network mode too or actually I don't even necessarily need them if I just want to play over LAN.

If both of them would at least have the "courage" to admit that it is an anti-piracy measure... I still wouldn't buy them but they would at least be honest.

Actually, LAN parties - which are a bit bigger - should be kinda hard with everyone requiring an internet connection - normal DSL probably won't be enough because even if they are not in the same game they still use the same internet connection speed. Especially, in case of ADSL the upload speed should be reached relatively soon.

This is the reason why I won't buy any of those two games - at least not at the beginning but maybe once the have reached the "bargain price range".

Also I want to point out that with solely online there is another problem and that is that once they servers have been removed the game will be completely useless. Btw. the same goes for StarCraft II's non-existing LAN-Mode too. However, Blizzard normally doesn't shut down servers. However, from EA we already learnt that they do so.

Not to mention that for most things I just don't want to be online and it doesn't really matter if you have a good internet connection or not, to require an internet connection for things you obviously don't need it is just lame.

Furthermore, there is the possibility that under some circumstances that I want to play the game that I don't have any internet connection at all - e.g. ISP is down because a lightning struck an "important structure" or I am on holiday somewhere and want to play it on my Notebook or something like this.

You were right when you said that Starcraft 2 is a bad example, but Starcraft 2 still doesn't require Battlenet 2.0 for skirmish and sigleplayer campaing (only replaces a LAN and for online play naturally), while C&C 4 requires internet connection for everything.

i agree with Mirza in SC2 you find a nice balance between piracy and online mode and offline sinlge player campaign wich in sc is a HUGE part of the game.

i wouldnt care if EALA did the same, no lan just online, BUT if they had the Server Hardware and manpower - knowhow to support it! as we see they dont so far!

and they are going to the extreme decision every-time online! thats just suicide for them, the DEV team knows it but i think there hands are "tide up"

also dont forget that Blizzard not only NEVER shutsdown servers but in Starcraft one when it was released they even jump from the protocol NET-beui to TCP-IP when it started to be used more and more in games! they patched the game with a totally new protocol multiplayer engine! do you understand how Big is that?

they make such "perfect" indipented engines for their games that they run in every windows os comes out and it was patch with new protocols for MP!

so EVEN if after 15years Blizzard will deside to Close it Starcraft2 battlenet server for any reason (thats a huge IF) they will 100% make a patch to play LAN as they did in SC1 before, as they did with no CD in driver in there Diablo 2 and Stacraft 1 games.

EA can easily desmental the team and leave everyone un supported, as it happend with earth and Beyond and other games that didnt work out!

they just dont care!

they think long time support is cost MORE than their reputation and future releases.

they are Wrong!

people will get a pirated version or maybe buy just from curiosity! nothing else, and if they see the problems they will never play it and start talk negative to the entire INTERNET,

and remember Good News travel fast, Bad News even Faster!

You were right when you said that Starcraft 2 is a bad example, but Starcraft 2 still doesn't require Battlenet 2.0 for skirmish and sigleplayer campaing (only replaces a LAN and for online play naturally), while C&C 4 requires internet connection for everything.

It's off-topic, but I just read the news, Starcraft 2 is going to have DRM, just like RA3 did. Here we can see that even Blizzard makes strange decisions (no LAN, DRM), even their officials claims that piracy is not big deal for them - (this is from IncGamers interview) Rob Pardo, VP of game design at Blizzard: "piracy, historically, has not been that big of deal for us." StarCraft II's lead designer Dustin Browder added he thinks "the most powerful solution for piracy is to try to create a compelling experience so people don't want to go elsewhere," something Blizzard obviously have been pretty good at before.

The difference a player will get from a pirate server of Battle.net and the real deal will be significant according to Pardo, saying he doesn't "think there is any way they are gonna compare with the sort of features that we are going to build in our version of Battle.net." There will probably come some sort of pirate Battle.net server software, "but it's just not going to be as good."

It's strange that they said that about piracy and how to fight it (with quality) and yet, they implementing those antipiracy measures (no LAN and DRM). I guess that we can't use Starcraft 2 as example (even as bad example, but it's still better than all time internet connection).

why is DRM so bad to some people? its nothing special.

i prefer DRM from this online verification all the time.

Edited by Johnnyxp64

Still wishing that one day they'll just level with people instead of being secretive. Apoc does that occasionally on the forums (like sometimes when he's talking about the TW or RA3 patching process). Honesty is a pretty good policy. I like to practice it with the Rengade-X community. We're pretty transparent about our development when people have questions.

@Johnnyxp64: It's the concept of DRM that is so wrong. The sheer audacity it takes for them to think they can control our actions after the money transaction is completed is astounding. It's all about control; them trying to dictate to you what your actions will be. It's invasive and violates fair-use rights.

DRM has never proved effective in a single instance ever. It is a complete failure and a waste of time, money, and other resources and is only pursued by 'corporate fatcats' that have no connection with the reality of its utter failing who fear change and fear losing absolute control and try to keep their business models the same instead of adapting them to the market. (Applies to the music and movie industries especially, although thank god the music industry is slowly seeing the light and major online music stores are phasing out DRM-"protected" music.)

And as an 'FYI tip,' always needing to be online IS a form of DRM. (So is one-time activation or occasional server check-ins.) Again, it's about them trying to maintain control.

Still wishing that one day they'll just level with people instead of being secretive. Apoc does that occasionally on the forums (like sometimes when he's talking about the TW or RA3 patching process). Honesty is a pretty good policy. I like to practice it with the Rengade-X community. We're pretty transparent about our development when people have questions.

@Johnnyxp64: It's the concept of DRM that is so wrong. The sheer audacity it takes for them to think they can control our actions after the money transaction is completed is astounding. It's all about control; them trying to dictate to you what your actions will be. It's invasive and violates fair-use rights.

DRM has never proved effective in a single instance ever. It is a complete failure and a waste of time, money, and other resources and is only pursued by 'corporate fatcats' that have no connection with the reality of its utter failing who fear change and fear losing absolute control and try to keep their business models the same instead of adapting them to the market. (Applies to the music and movie industries especially, although thank god the music industry is slowly seeing the light and major online music stores are phasing out DRM-"protected" music.)

And as an 'FYI tip,' always needing to be online IS a form of DRM. (So is one-time activation or occasional server check-ins.) Again, it's about them trying to maintain control.

DRM and their little control freak nonsense. I definitely missed the good old RA1 days. I bought the disc, if I want multiplayer, one extra disc (disc 2) to lend to your buddy to play online with. Good ol' days. :(

The 90s has always been the best, my friend. We all miss those good old times, good old times when the game's EXE files can be played normally without in need of getting replaced by cracked EXE or use any keygens.