Sign in to follow this  
Fiesta

eVGA re-defines the word "overkill"

http://www.evga.com/articles/00501/

You just go on and find your own change of pants when you see this. I won't help you. :P

Oh, and apologies to Malevolence, who just built a rig with the Classified and has to see this be put on the market. Really too bad. :lol:

Why, why, why... No one in their right mind would actually waste money on that.

4 video cards... ****ing excessive.

Pah. :(

4waysizechart.jpg

WHAT THE FRAK?!

It makes EVGA X58 3X SLI CLASSIFIED so small.

I am stunned by the news obviously. Thanks, Fiesta for the crazy phenomenal news.

Oh, and apologies to Malevolence, who just built a rig with the Classified and has to see this be put on the market. Really too bad. :lol:

Yea yea... :(

But on second thought, do I need it? Can my current setup be upgraded? Do I have that budget?

The answers for the above questions are simply no.

For the record now, I'm using ONE simple GTX 260 216SP at the moment. I have intentions to upgrade it but it'll probably be later (possibly two GTX 300s (2010?) or GTX 400s (2011?) DirectX 11 cards with 2 way SLI with recycled GTX 260 as dedicated PhysX card).

So it's kinda safe to say it'll be pointless if I own a 4 way Classified motherboard.

To top that off, from further reading, apparently 4 way GTX 285 SLI will be supported with ONLY "EVGA GTX 285 Classified", not any regular GTX 285s.

I also realized that you may need a power plant for this crazy setup. Notice that 1 EVGA GTX 285 Classified has not 2 but 3 6 pin connector slots! So 4 way SLI = 12 6-pin connectors. Which PSU give you that? 2 PSUs maybe? Or a nuclear power plant?

So if you are that crazy, you want a 4 way SLI support you can only use EVGA X58 4X SLI CLASSIFIED + 4 EVGA GTX 285 CLASSIFIED = USD 450 + 4X USD 380 = USD 1970!!! (do the math).

Another issue is the new XL-ATX form factor, making my current E-ATX form factor looks way small and obsolete. And also my new Lian Li casing doesn't support XL-ATX form factor so... yea.

In conclusion, it's absolutely safe to say I'm more than content with my current 3X SLI CLASSIFIED motherboard setup. :)

P.S. notice the 4 has the same font as the 4 in C&C4?! :lol:

Edited by Malevolence

P.S. notice the 4 has the same font as the 4 in C&C4?! :lol:

Holy hell. I didn't notice that. That's creepy.

Time for some updates with PICTURES!!!

dsc0306bd.jpg

dsc0307ib.jpg

dsc0310m.jpg

Notice that each GTX 285 Classified has not 2 but 3 6-pin connector slot!

New 4-way SLI bridge spotted!

Funny that the shape of the GTX 285 Classified shell reminded me of the unreleased Radeon HD 5870 (gallery here). Hmm...

One problem however, but stacking the cards in this manner, air-flow will be a huge problem, and I think its highly recommended to strip the fans and replace with liquid cooling stuff for better cooling.

I won't be surprised if later in time EVGA updates the already insane GTX 285 Classified with FTW editions or something.

Overall, this is still madness!

This is indeed :drool: :drool: :drool::wacko: !

Edited by Malevolence

See that **** is just crazy.

I mean its bad enough you need a special motherboard to run this, but you'll also need a nuclear powerplant too.... :(

Which, at that point, you'd probably need a special case. Overkill, indeed.

Yes there are only a limited of 10 cases of various brands that support such XL-ATX motherboards. Can't wait for more updates on both products!

Well I'm not so sure about unnecessary, I mean I don't want any frame drops when I'm playing on my 100" at 9600 x 5400 resolution. ^_^

Well I'm not so sure about unnecessary, I mean I don't want any frame drops when I'm playing on my 100" at 9600 x 5400 resolution. ^_^

Second that. :thumbsup:

The GTX 285 Classified is definitely tempting. However I'll sit back and patiently wait for the next Nvidia DirectX11 dual-GPU solution to possibly quad-SLI on my current setup. ^_^

Oh man, cram an i7 975 in there and 4 video cards; max out the RAM, and good lord that thing will probably get 100,000 points per day in Folding@Home.

Some crazy updates on the EVGA 4 Way SLI monster!

Edited by Malevolence