Sign in to follow this  
General Leang

Do you consider rushing cheating?

I was wondering whether people felt rushing (for example, sending in thirty Overlord tanks with Chain Guns and Speaker Towers) to be cheating.

It's not cheating because it doesn't take advantage of any flaws/bugs in the game.

It is annoying when someone sends a few units into your base after a couple of minutes to wipe you out. If they send a massive attack after a while I'm OK with that.

Yes, I've experianced that myself. In Generals I take full advantage of being allowed multiple superweapons and have used up to fifteen Particle Cannons or nukes in a rush. Not a traditional attack with tanks and infantry, but effective.

People who build like mad on their superweapons are really not worth fighting. I have been defeating people using cunning tactics with my special forces units, i like to attack with heavy A-10 airstrikes, a MOAB followed by a good aurora and F22 strike before sending in a cannon fodder of troops as a distraction while i bring in a heavy wealth of armour on any other flank possible... Of course my commando is already in there destroying buildings while the player panics about those attacks from all sides!

That very similar to what i do C&C King :)

Sending 2-3 pronged attacks as distractions is invaluable, the oponent ****s themselves :twisted:

as for a great big line of tanks and inf... noob tactic :wink:

The A-10 and MOAB sound good, although I am not so sure about using aircraft to attack a base. In my opinion anything less than a Helix is too weak in the face of anti air defences, especially if it is against ECM Patriots or the Avenger. And of course it would be foolish to even think about an attack, let alone a rush of anything, without a solid defence. My top choices are the Overlords and Helixes if you are playing as the Chinease, or Patriots and Avengers as the Americans. Forgive me if someone might know better, but when I have played as the GLA I have found the mobs to be rather effective, and the Quad Cannons you will know are a pain if you ever had your aircraft fly over them.

Being GLA I find a good barrage of Mobile SCUDs and missile buggys do a good amount of defence softening before going in there with a Scud storm and suprise tunnel attack with suicide bombers or truck bombs, then having Jarmen Kell nearby to pick off the biggest ground threats. Once that's done mop up with the tanks. :D

well it depends on TS i like to send in weak little things makeing them think im some n00b...then i send in large powerful armies with high hp and high attack power and range :lol:

Nobody whos good on TS sends rushes unless they are supported by air, my favorite tactic on TS is the dissy rush or the bombers and titan rush 8)

Wolverines are good in TS, and the normal foot soldiers are a lot tougher than they should be. What is tough is a mass of Cyborgs. They remind me of the Angry Mob in how they can decimate in groups.

i prefer the demolition general the most, good as a rush and as an anti rush + u dun need much defenses, the combat cycles will do :)

Quad Scorpions SCUD & Buggy thats my dream team :)

GLA r the best for rushin in my opinion, send the first worker to ur enemies base and make him cry from your tunnel networks, Fast and 2 Rocket Infantry :D

Rushing sucks if you set a rule against it at the start.

Often, a rule is: No Rush for 10 minutes, if then they still rush its really low.

There are a lot of rules that players though up to keep the game fun

Rushing is not cheating, but its low

I was wondering whether people felt rushing (for example, sending in thirty Overlord tanks with Chain Guns and Speaker Towers) to be cheating.

No, if you are the one leading the charge...

1: if your only tactic is too build tanks and mass charge, then you are not worthy of playing C&C, or at least you have a lot to learn

2: If you suffer from 30 Overlord rushes, then its because you cant do anything to them while they pick their noses and wait for their tanks to build

Well, if there is trully someone who sent you 30 overlords just nuke them all :twisted: Nuclear weapons are the best against them.

I see this very simply... if the game rules allow it, it is not cheating by definition. If you can use what resources you have- as allowed by the game- to your advantage, then what's wrong with that? If rushing works, then by all means use it! This is where game design comes in. A well-designed game will be more than just a rush war, but if a rush war happens, the players are not to blame.

Agreed, but then again, the real strategy is to prevent yourself from getting rushed at all. I'm one of those players that looses sorely to rushes, so yes, I still have a lot to learn about getting things set up. But that's in YR, I haven't played online with Generals/Zero Hour yet.

'Cept for my LAN games with my mates, but those don't really count do they?

I consider rushing with the "massive swarm of Overlords/Apocalypses/whatever" to be kind of unfair. It's not a strategy at all. They don't call these games "Real-Time Strategy" for nothing. :lol:

That's why I'm Yuri most of the time. You can't really rush with his army.

The only rules I set, in YR, are thus:

If you are a Soviet Nation, NO SEIGE CHOPPER CRAWLING!!! :evil::evil:

If you are the French Faction: NO GRAND CANNON CRAWLING!! :evil::evil:

I always allow Yuri. Unlike some 'tards, I enjoy challenges. :P:D

Hrm..Rush Wars are pretty interesting though..ever seen a massive rush of Nuke MiGs decimate an entire Emporer Tank rush? :twisted::twisted:

1: if your only tactic is too build tanks and mass charge, then you are not worthy of playing C&C, or at least you have a lot to learn

Don't say that at the C&C Den. They'll call you stupid. Rushing a n00blet tactic and they don't want to admit it. Their argument is this: Are you really calling the top players n00bs? YES I AM! If you can't use anything but unit spamming, you suck at the game.

Play me in StarCraft some time... I'll show you how an RTS is meant to be played. ;)

2: If you suffer from 30 Overlord rushes, then its because you cant do anything to them while they pick their noses and wait for their tanks to build

Exactly. Slow them down; annoy them with units; do something to stop their tech advancement or tank production.

A good way to avoid a rush is to defend the entrances with missile defenses (bunkers, stingers, patriots) and if you're the Infantry, SuperWeapon, Laser or Toxin general, your defenses are even better, for the GLA, a good demo trap works miracles, for china, build a nuke cannon ASAP and for USA, get a few raptors.

Hehe, I'll keep that in mind :wink: I usually do the Nuke Cannon trick, but I make sure I guard them with a few Gattling Tanks and some Inferno Cannons to back 'em up. And maybe a few Battlemasters and Tank Hunters around here and there. But a solid defence definatly has to be bunkers filled with Tank Hunters and Gattling Towers. And LOTS of them :twisted: Hehe, and then combine that with General Alexander's EMP Patriots....Let's see what gets through eh? :P

oh how i hate nuke cannons

best tactic for me is to build emp patriots like 2 in between evry firebase u make, so tht u have vry gd defense on both tanks, aircraft and infantry, then you just build aurora alphas and wipe the enemy base with their harsh harsh bombs

*HINT*

Best way to break up an Overlord rush AND have a laugh while you do it:

Auroras have this mysterious power to make Overlord fly!! Its true!! Just send your Auroras to bomb the ****e out of the oncoming Overlords!! And see some big tank arse grab some air!!

:twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

So amuzing to see 200 ton tank go flying....try it sometime

i don't consider it cheating... but i find it irritating if people can't win unless they unit spam. nowadays i don't even bother tolerating it. i no longer play generals/ZH because it's all high-tech destruction weapons (ie you say "no 30 overlord rush" then they do a SW/SP rush on you...)

Either way the second i see a hint of a tank rush i just quit now... hehe i have found no greater way to wind up people on this game then by simply "crashing" the game... on gen/zh they only get points half the time, and you almost never lose any. they spend 10 - 20 minutes of their life building up only to get a default loss hehehe...

Don't bother flaming me with loads of "omg tho but rushes are teh cool" the fewer/weaker the units you use, the more skilled you are. (ie: someone who wins with a 30 tank rush obviously has less skill then someone winning with 10 GI's o.O)

Hence the Strategy part of Real Time Strategy.

Trust me on this: Mina kicks major arse with infantry in both YR and ZH.

Welcome back, by the way!

Cygnus, you know that there is a little thing called "Nuke MiGs making Overlords fly". I've told ya about it before :P GET ZERO HOUR!! :lol: