Sign in to follow this  
PurpleGaga27

Which movie franchise is making a mistake with a fourth film?

11 members have voted

1. 1. Which movie franchise is making a mistake with a fourth film?

• Pirates of the Carribean
    • X-Men
    • Spiderman
    • Lord of the Rings/The Hobbit
    • Mission Impossible
    • Shrek
    • The Bourne Trilogy
    • Transporter
    • Scream
    • Other
    • All of the above
    • None of the above

This is getting ridiculous with more than several franchises aiming for a fourth film. At least most will suck and one or two will succeed. But one of them is making a mistake and which is it?

Update 1: added a few more choices.

Edited by purplescrin

Haven't seen the third of all of those movies, but I think the worst of the thirds was probably X-men, and so as the third should never have been made, I voted down its forth.

Spiderman hasn't screwed up too badly yet, it isn't canonical, but at least didn't ruin everything.

I can only choose one? D:

Well I voted Transporter, which stopped being good after the first one. I liked the first one but the second one was bad, and I haven't even bothered to see the third.

Also Pirates, Shrek, Bourne (come on, what else is left to do? He already exposed the program to the public!), and Mission Impossible (!!! Go away Tom Cruise!!!!!!).

All.

Well this statement does pretty much sum it up...

X-men is the worse of the lot. I was utterly disgusted after the events in the second or third installment... can't remember which but the story was totally off and wrong, and same goes to that wolverine spin-off stuff. Other than that the CGI is good.

I am generally against sequels and trilogies, that aren't planned from the outset. The Matrix is a good example, the first movie was great. The other two, were, well less than stellar.

So when it comes to tacking on a 4th film to an already established trilogy, my answer is, yes it is a mistake. Because generally speaking by the time the third film comes along, the story has been warped up nicely so to make a 4th film means messing with what is already established.

As for prequels, same things apply really.

So my answer is, unless it was planned, its a bad idea.

X-men is the worse of the lot. I was utterly disgusted after the events in the second or third installment... can't remember which but the story was totally off and wrong, and same goes to that wolverine spin-off stuff. Other than that the CGI is good.

You mean the story was off, compared with the comic books? To be fair, movie adaptations of anything, are at the end of the day, going to be so wildly different its hardly fair to give them both the same name.

So then the Hobbit movies would, by your definition, be an exception.

Yes, besides I quite liked the Hobbit book. ^_^

But if they screw that up, they shall pay with their blood! :o

But if they screw that up, they shall pay with their blood! :o

Exactly why i voted it, besides It'll ruin my view of the story and characters etc. regardless if it's a good movie or not.

You mean the story was off, compared with the comic books? To be fair, movie adaptations of anything, are at the end of the day, going to be so wildly different its hardly fair to give them both the same name.

See now, comic book movies have a habit of throwing the original storyline out the window, but I think some can deviate from the storyline and still be ok, while others just suck.

I think Spiderman managed it, X-men did not.

Transporter 4 - would be my pick of the worst of the worst for movie installments. they should have stopped with the first one. It being decent to watch.

X-men 4 - well since they are making things up as they go and not following any logic. I say no. But if they have make another, dont focus on so few mutants. such as logan and storm in the 3rd movie because they have higher paid actors playing them. i dont think this movie will happen since they are moving along with the origins segment.

Mission Impossible 4 - no thanks, work on some other stupid movie instead.

Spiderman 4 - if they get back to the roots to the comics rather than try to market a new movie ill be happy. the first was awesome, second so-so, and other than the sandman... I hate the 3rd movie. at least they kept true for one charactor.

Technically there won't be a fourth Matrix film in any way because it ends there. Terminator (4) Salvation, on the other hand, wasn't as great as the first three, thus there's no Arnold Schwarzenegger in the film. Saw IV last year was one of the worst horror films of the decade and now Final Destination 4 joins it. Scream 4 will probably join the worst horror movies of the decade as well when it hits theaters soon.

The only movie series that had a good fourth film of its franchise are Die Hard, Star Wars, Harry Potter and James Bond.

The only movie series that had a good fourth film of its franchise are Die Hard, Star Wars, Harry Potter and James Bond.

Don't know about Die Hard, but all the rest of those were planned to have more than 3 from the start, so it fits into what Luk3us was saying.

Star Wars is an exception. I thought the first movie was horrible, the second forgettable, the third being the saving grace.

I'm not that informed about Star Wars lore and such, but can someone explain to me, why Lucas decided to film the 4th, 5th and 6th films first?

Star Wars is an exception. I thought the first movie was horrible, the second forgettable, the third being the saving grace.

Are you kidding me? Revenge of the Sith is the worst movie I have ever seen in my life. Episodes 1, 2 and 3 all suffered from the worst acting I've ever seen, horrible dialogue, horrible character names... I could go on. Suffice to say, 4, 5 and 6 are at least passable as watchable cinema.

The prequels of star wars 1 2 3 stinks. Not to mention hayden christensen's terrible acting, and the very lousy dialogue, remember this "Anakin: 'I am haunted by the kiss you should not have given to me.' Padme: 'Anakin, you should not be haunted by that which you should not get, should you?' Anakin: 'My heart is beating, hoping that kiss will not become a scar. You are in my very soul, tormenting me.'". Gee.

and jar jar binks is a joke.

the only saving grace is the clones and the cgi battles.

I'm not that informed about Star Wars lore and such, but can someone explain to me, why Lucas decided to film the 4th, 5th and 6th films first?

It wasn't long after I began writing Star Wars that I realized the story was more than a single film could hold. As the saga of the Skywalkers and Jedi Knights unfolded, I began to see it as a tale that could take at least nine films to tell—three trilogies—and I realized, in making my way through the back story and after story, that I was really setting out to write the middle story.

I hate horror movies to my back teeth... But the Saw Franchise is taking the **** a bit.

Quite frankly though, anyone in Hollywood who milks sequels (unless essential to story) is in it for a quick buck or 2. The movie industry does lack a lot of vision these days, and it's proof with the amount of films that just go straight to DVD/Blu-Ray without any indication of a cinema release.

There's no real labour of love in most modern movies. A compelling storyline, a respectable cast, thought and emotion provoking scenes.... such things a rarity. Even Hollywood has the idiocy to step over the line and remake certain classics. The likes of Ocean's 11, The Italian Job, Psycho... they all should have been left alone. And if they haven't rubbed enough salt into the wounds, they'll make a sequel to the remake as well.

Kinda like the Games industry in a sense. Although in most cases, at least there's still entertainment in playing an updated classic!

Yeah Ocean's Eleven would have to be an exception.

Oceans' twelve was horrible though, Oceans' thirteen was slightly better though.

Oceans' twelve was horrible though, Oceans' thirteen was slightly better though.

I thought thirteen was the worst simply because the ending twist wasn't twisty enough.