Sign in to follow this  
Accessless

Unable to Edit Tiberian Sun

Ok for starters I'm running Windows 7RC & using Tibed 1.7. I was fine up untill a couple of days ago but now most modifications I make to the game (Tib Sun), don't work. Anything else I create wont stay saved. For example last night I created (from scratch, no duplicates) a range of weapons for Veteran units after I saved, closed Tibed and re-opened my save on Tibed later it had all disapeared. Everything started going pear shaped after I sucessfully created a NOD Laser weapons upgrade and then tried making a GDI rail gun upgrade.

I have re-installed Tibed but that made no difference. Would re-installing Tib Sun help? (It's going to be re-installed anyway because my full copy of Win7 has arrived).

Edited by Accessless

I'm not all up in modding, but i think a fresh install of TS would be good, just in case there some old bits lying round you had forgotten about, it could be the Win7RC you have... maybe.

Edited by BioBen

Ok I have re-installed C&C, re-installed Tibed, and now run Win7 64-bit. Same problem. Everything was working fine then it stopped. Is there anyway it could be hardware related?

No, shouldn't be hardware related. Look up your Tiberian Sun folder, and try deleting the art.ini and rules.ini in that folder. Does that help?

I would expect that TibEd has problems writing those files somehow.

No I'm not even getting to the stage of writing changes to the game. I can create units and alter most settings now but I cannot create a weapon and save it. Tibed will not save any weapon modifications. Tibed is writing to Tibsun perfectly now so I'm sure that it is purely a Tibed problem.

No I'm not even getting to the stage of writing changes to the game. I can create units and alter most settings now but I cannot create a weapon and save it. Tibed will not save any weapon modifications. Tibed is writing to Tibsun perfectly now so I'm sure that it is purely a Tibed problem.

My question to you then is: Cannot save them where?

If you're not writing changes to the game, what kind of modifications are you talking about? Can you change unit costs properly? Is it limited to only editing some weapon? What are the steps I would need to take on your machine to reproduce this?

I'm back with the same problem again (No it didn't go away I just got fed up of trying to fix it). I can now tell you that I get the same problem with Tibed v1.64 - v1.71. I also can not edit on my laptop (Vista x86). I am going to try both versions of tibed and perhaps some older ones on the Win XP x86 partition of this PC.

If someone would be so kind as to list previous versions so that I can download them, please and thankyou. (Not the addresses just version numbers)

There haven't been any substantial changes since older TibEd versions in this regard, so I would not expect them to work better. What you're saying is that some changes work, but not changes to weapons? And those are all located in the Rules.ini? Or some in the Art.ini?

I haven't been editing the art files. I have tried three different computers and four different Os's to no avail, in all cases I can only edit existing weapons. As far as I can tell all other editing works fine (vehicle, infantry, aircraft, general rules), but I can not create new weapons. Any new weapons disappear once the .tib file is reloaded.

For example: If I were to create a copy of a rocket launcher "weap001" and increase the fire rate of the original weapon, the modified weapon would be saved however the newly created weapon would be lost upon a reload.

Edited by Accessless

I think I found the solution. Any and all newly created weapons must be assigned to a unit otherwise they will disappear. Un-assigned original weapons are fine. Is this a glitch?

Ah, it's a long time ago since I wrote the Tiberian Sun editor. The rules.ini doesn't have a list of weapons like it has lists of weapons for buildings, units, etc. So TibEd will scan all your units and buildings, gather those weapons, and use that list.

So, if you develop a new weapon, indeed you need to assign it to a unit immediately. Then, TibEd will find it again upon load of the file. Or you need to remember the name of your weapon manually, and enter that as a weapon to fix it.