Sign in to follow this  
ORCaLoVeR

The new juggernaut

Or the GDI defense Medium blast T2

Take a look at this

juggernautj.jpg

Now the first look, people will say=WTF SO SHORT BARRELS TO SHORT NO BAD!

But after looking into it, actually it makes sense.

In theory the juggernaut was always an artillery unit, but in all C&C"s, it was often in battle right behind the front line units.

Now in real life, they also have these kind of front line support units

a couple of examples

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm....0004z89h67.jpg

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/TIGER-1%20...-III-AUSF-N.jpg

http://www.armyrecognition.com/europe/Angl..._2004_UK_01.jpg

Now you might say= Those are all cannons on tanks. But actually that was is just a juggernaut is, simply an mech with cannons.

These things might be howitsers. And you have to think it this way. In artillery= The longer the barrel, the longer the range BUT the heavier muzzle velocity requires thicker walling of the shells, in order to allow them to survive the shot=Less High Explosive material's. Also the higher the muzzle velocity= The less the steep of angle the shells lands.

If the angle is very low, like with a field gun, the Cannon issent good in Direct fire support. As it will just behave like a regular tank shell in theory. But the Howitzer key element was that the shell could accuartly land on top of the enemie's, or lets say, in a city.

And regarding the range. A field gun can fire about, lets say= 15KM. The howitzer of this kind, might fire towards 8-9KM.

So actually, there might be a logic reason, behind making the barrels shorter then before, on the juggernaut.

Surely admitted, everything looks good on that juggernaut, exept the big cannon on its back. They could at least made it a bit less cartoonish

Edited by ORCaLoVeR

Sorry... if this is the new Juggernaut I already have the winner of the new Fan-Picked name... the Eunich.

Dislike the big cannon on its back, but it looks kinda like it has 3 Howitzer's which is sorta cool.

The big back.. cannon thing, is stupid, and I dislike the short barrels immensely. The artists need to get out of the stupid RA3 art-mode already.

I'm not sure what they are up to but I figure that they envisioned the future having war vehicles with short barrels, thus making them look less modern looking of sorts.

But I still don't buy it.

tmp-25.jpg

Lol to that. I' sure the sticky bombs should be useful in gameplay, I'm fine with that extra thingy sticking there.

Nice one Nmenth.

C&C 4 concept artists are currently facepalming and ridiculing the curator of the juggernaut.

"The GDI Juggernaut is GDI's mobile Artillery platform, equipped with a Triple barreled 120mm cannon recycled from the GDI Navy's old Battleship's and put to use in the field. They are not as accurate as Nod's Mobile Artillery but make up for accuracy with firepower!"

ORCaLoVeR is obviously wrong. Just give us some long barrels will ya!

They are not as accurate as Nod's Mobile Artillery but make up for accuracy with firepower!"

I guess GDI don't mind a bit of collateral damage from time to time. :P A church here, a school there, its all good. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

My statement may be offensive to some...but I must say..

That barrels look like uncircumcised d!cks to me.

You're obsessed with the wrong things. :P

Well that was blatant.

Edited by BioBen

My statement may be offensive to some...but I must say..

That barrels look like uncircumcised d!cks to me.

Wut?!? :o

well, thats the problem having a baby boy...

you keep seeing those anywhere.

Guest Stevie_K

what's wrong with you people :rolleyes:

About the juggernaut though, it just doesn't look like anything artillery-like what so ever.

Real war engineers would laugh their ***' off. :P

Those pictures don't look like juggernauts. They look like the mini versions of Juggernauts. Why not call them Mininauts?

hmm...

let me clear up some misconceptions here from orcalover's post. He used some pictures to validate the use of short barreled guns on tanks. Now the first,

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/comm....0004z89h67.jpg

This is a picture of an American M8 self-propelled 75mm howitzer. It was not very effective against front-line tanks and was primarily used for infantry support.

The second picture is documented and is of a WW II era German Panzer III Ausf N.

http://www.fprado.com/armorsite/TIGER-1%20...-III-AUSF-N.jpg

This is a production model tank, however, by the time it saw service it was relegated to the role of infantry support and is not a front-line battle tank. It mounts a 75mm low-velocity short barreled gun.

The third picture is also documented and is of the British Centurion A.V.R.E. (Armored Vehicle Royal Engineers).

http://www.armyrecognition.com/europe/Angl..._2004_UK_01.jpg

This is also a production tank, however, it's role is not that of a main battle tank. It is a vehicle used by combat engineers. It mounts a 165mm Demolition Gun. This weapon's role is for clearing obstacles (road blocks, dragon's teeth, pillboxes, ets...) and destroying buildings. It is ineffective against both infantry and other tanks. Note that the tank the vehicle is derived from was produced from the end of WW II through to 1962. It is still in service in some 3rd world nations. Those are all cannons on tanks. But actually that was is just a juggernaut is, simply an mech with cannons.

OK, that being cleared up, onto the subject of this thread, i.e. the short barrels on the new Juggernaut. They are acceptable all things considered. In the same vane as the Allied gun/howitzers of WW II (British 25-pounder and the American 105mm), which were used for both direct fire and indirect fire. These weapons were invariably large bore, short barreled weapons. They relied on their large caliber hollow charge rounds for penetration rather than high-velocity kinetic impact.

As to the upgrade, that's just ludicrous. Maybe it's a foo-gas projector or a very short range mortar type weapon?

Anyways that's my $.02 worth. :rolleyes:

Edited by phrostee