Sign in to follow this  
Nmenth

Name your own planet

I am currently writing a space game in which I will have some 100-200 planets in it. All of the planets are inhabited by emigrants from Earth, so they all need names that are real words from an Earth language. Now this is no easy task, so I figure, why not recruit some help?

So here's a fun (maybe?) question game, if you could name your own planet, what names might you consider?

For the purpose of this topic, you can come up with anything you want and as many possible names as you want. Try to include your rational behind your choices. If you want to include a story about your world, its resources, law, etc., you can do so (although it will be of no use to me).

For the purpose of my game, I will only steal your ideas and give you absolutely no credit if the planet names are not: original concepts (neo+terra = Neoterra), personal (Luk3us Prime), invented words (Deirgiaf), plagiarism (Coruscant), redundancy (Earth II), or are random serials (X-124). I am also not going to tell you if I decided to use any of your ideas.

If you have a problem with me using your brain to my own ends, then don't participate.

240px-The_Earth_seen_from_Apollo_17.jpg

A list of all the planets currently in my game along with their meaning (52/62):

Adamant (A rock or mineral held by some to be of impenetrable hardness)

Aether (Greek god personifying the upper sky, space, and heaven)

Ambient (English noun: Something that surrounds)

Anastasios (Greek: "Resurrection")

Aphrodite (Greek goddess of love, beauty, and raw sexuality)

Ares (Greek god of bloodlust)

Astraea (Greek goddess of justice)

Athena (Greek goddess of wisdom, war, strategy, industry, justice and skill)

Avatar (English noun: The physical embodiment of an idea or concept)

Baroque (English noun: Complex and beautiful, yet for an outward irregularity)

Beta (2nd letter of the Greek alphabet)

Carmot (A mythical element believed by alchemists to be the key to creating the philosopher’s stone)

Concordia (Roman goddess of harmony and peace)

Daedalus (Greek mythology, a most skillful architect, artificer, or craftsman)

Demeter (Greek goddess of grain and fertility, preserver of marriage and the sacred law)

Destiny (English noun: That to which any person or thing is destined; a predetermined state)

Dragomir (Slavic: "Precious and peaceful")

Eden (Hebrew: "Place of pleasure")

Exemplar (English noun: Something fit to be imitated)

Fritjof (Old Norse: "Thief of peace")

Gaia (Greek goddess personifying the Earth)

Glory (English noun: Great beauty or splendor, that is so overwhelming it is considered powerful)

Haven (English noun: A place of safety)

Hestia (Greek goddess of the hearth, of the right ordering of domesticity and the family)

Hope (English noun: The belief or expectation that something wished for can or will happen)

Jormungand (Norse mythology, a giant serpent encompassing the world; AKA Jörmungandr)

Krasimir (Slavic: "Beautiful peace")

Miltos (Greek: "Red earth")

Naomi (Hebrew: "Pleasantness")

Nike (Greek goddess of strength, speed, and victory)

Okeanos (The world-ocean, an enormous river encircling the world; AKA Oceanus)

Olympus (Greek mythology, the home of the twelve gods of Olympus)

Omega (The last letter of the Greek alphabet)

Omnino (Latin: "Entirely, utterly altogether, wholly")

Ouroboros (A serpent or dragon swallowing its own tail and forming a circle, represents cyclicality, the eternal return)

Panacea (A remedy believed to cure all disease and prolong life)

Phoenix (A mythical sacred firebird that is reborn every 500 years)

Primarius (Latin: "One of the first, or first rank, chief, principal, excellent, remarkable")

Sanctuary (English noun: A place of safety, refuge, or protection)

Serenity (English noun: The state of being serene; calmness; peacefulness)

Shesha (Hindu tradition, servant of Lord Vishnu, a serpent said to hold all the planets of the Universe on his hoods)

Sphaera (Latin: "A globe, sphere")

Tellus (Roman Earth Mother goddess; AKA Terra Mater)

Terra (Latin: "Land, earth, ground; the world")

Tiamat (Babylonian goddess personifying the sea)

Tierra (Spanish: "Earth")

Vasudha (Sanskrit: "producer of wealth")

Vesta (Roman goddess of the hearth, home, and family)

Vipul (Sanskrit: "large, extensive, plenty")

Vista (English noun: A distant view or prospect)

Zenith (English noun: The highest point in the sky reached by a celestial body)

Ziz (Jewish mythology, a giant griffin-like bird said to be large enough to be able to block out the sun with its wingspan)

*Only two letters of the Greek alphabet will be used: Beta & Omega. As Alpha represents 1, which could only be claimed by Earth itself, and nobody wants to be numbers 3, 4, 5..., but Omega symbolizes finality.

Want to know more about this game? Some tiny samples are viewable at Nmenth Arts (site now private).

I think Luk3us Prime is an excellent name for a planet. It would of course have to be an important planet that is far superior to all its neighbours with at least 3 or more moons and possibly even those funky rings around it. Oh and the system it would be in would have to have two suns. :P

I'll post some suggestions tomorrow.

Do we get to play your game after its finished?

Do we get to play your game after its finished?

That depends on what it becomes in the future.

Worst-case, only my friends ever see it. It is possible it could become a free solo-play internet game if I can find someone to program it for me. Or best case, you can buy it off the shelves in a game store and I get lots of money.

Regardless, don't expect yourself to be playing it within the next couple years.

A planet named "Seager". Blue planet, with kiwi like animals lurking around, and people with the obsession to say "time to play the game" all the time and playing some heavy metal like music as part of their culture.

A planet named "Seager". Blue planet, with kiwi like animals lurking around, and people with the obsession to say "time to play the game" all the time and playing some heavy metal like music as part of their culture.

A Sonic obsession? How very odd...

I thought of a Purple Digital World with unreal terrain, aliens and terrestrial animals. :rolleyes:

Bob's been taken...

re: titan ae

Hmm, this experiment has borne me little success... :mellow:

I decided to let you see all the names I have already used, and have added them to my first post.

Guest Stevie_K

- Nucleon (Sounds cool, and like something nuclear. Should be a big heavy planet however and only pronounced with a deep movie trailer voice.)

- Centauri (I think it's latin for the star picture, I'm not sure. Small planet, probably twin to a "dead" planet named Kentau or something.)

- Erion (I picture a medium sized planet with those saturn like rings, just blue however.)

- Khanetra (Sounds cool, but I have no idéa what it means however. I picture a peaceful green planet at Earth's size.)

- Venestia (Still no clue if it means anything. Large planet, half covered in icy desert. Lies desolate in some evil part of a red galaxy.)

- Tinirius (small planet with extreme weather conditions.)

- Zinetar (Medium sized planet with ruins from an ancient civilization.)

- Elesdeecia (Planet size varies. Very colorful planet which seems to have some mysterious effects to the human mind.)just kidding.. why do I waste my time with this.

Anywho, I hope some of this is of any kind of use. However, I'll never know..

Edited by Stevie_K

Lambda = I've been playing too much half-life recently.

Detritus = Sounds cool but meaning... not so much.

We have a number randomiser, surely there is a letter randomiser?

One that you could glance through for interesting planet names?

Batang Mandai : legends says Iban originate from this place (not the planet), beyond Crocker Range. Predator-like race live on this planet where headhunting is a norm.

Tasik: means 'sea'. covered mostly by 86% of water, a planet being ravage by civil wars. (like Water World)

Baram Delta: ehem...my area/oilfield that I currently working on. the planet is rich with natural resources, more than 5 normal planets combined.

Edited by VampireA05

Manticore, Sphinx, Noveau Paris, Gryphon, Anderman, Grayson, Erewhon... (all from David Weber's VERY good Honor Harrington series)

Added some more planets to the list, I'll add them here as I add them to my game. No reason to, but I will anyway.

I have now confirmed there will be 55 (62) planetary systems containing at least one inhabited planet each (extra planets and moons will come later), spanning 10 (11) territories controlled by various allegiances.

Thus, my primary goal is to acquire 55 (62) names. I can worry about tripling that number later... :blink:

*Bumped numbers; new territory added.

Sekuau - a gaseous planet like Jupiter or Uranus...a mix of helium & some other poisonous & combustible gas. but some giant corporation from Earth already found a way how to weaponize these gases.

Nei-u - a dead planet & use as testing ground for WMD.

1) sunking

2) grandal

3) nomandasis

4) onyric

5) forrunner

these are all my thoughts. hope they can help :P

1) Teslus (electric planet)

2) Pan (Slavic god of forests, an planet full of trees)

Since above person already bumped, planet Inferno, a place with lots of fire and molten metal ^_^

Or Poseidon, a water world if self-centration isn't allowed :<

Edited by Inferno