Sign in to follow this  
Okapis Rule

!Noob alert! Making units follow waypoints

I am working on an urban map, and am currently putting the finishing touches on it. I would like to have some neutral cars/buses, ect. that follow a waypoint path along the streets. I have the waypoints, but I need to know where to place the units, what exactly to tell them to do, and how to do this. I do know the modding basics, if modding is required.

Thanks!

Do you know how to work with Teamtypes, Taskforces and Scripts? If not then you're a long way from home I'm afraid. Simple triggers like this that involve units in any form will need all three of the basics (Teams, Taskforecs and Scripts). For example: If you're looking to have a bus move around and follow waypoints you start off with the Taskforce itself which would be:

1 BUS

Simple enough, it gets a bit more complicated however. The scripts themselves aren't really too complicated to figure out once you get the hang of what you're doing. From what I know you just want your bus to follow waypoints around the map, right? Well that's simple enough.

Your bus script should be something like this:

Move to waypoint 10

Move to waypoint 11

Move to waypoint 12

If you want your script to loop itself simply add the 'Jump to line X' command at the end of your script and the BUS will continuously follow the waypoints you have set.

Teamtypes are a bit more complicated but are necessary. Teams put TASKFORCES and SRIPTS together. They also do a couple of other things, all you have to do is fix up your parameters to match your scripts and taskforces and of course set your waypoints and whatever other paramaters are necessary, simple enough am I right?

If you're completely new to this trigger work then you'll have the toughest time making the actual trigger. Triggers will bring everything together, if no errors are made they should obviously work flawlessly. Start by creating a new trigger and setting it to No repeat. Choose your event which in any multiplayer map would either be "Any Event" or "Elapsed Time" which are both self explanatory. Moving on to the actions, find the option "Reinforcements at Waypoint" which is number 80 If my memory serves me right, select it and set the paramaters to your custom Teamtype.

That's the basics, if you need to understand more regarding Teams, Taskforces and Scripts read this short tutorial.