Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Roundtable Discussion #25: November 2009 - Classic C&C Modding Special

Its Roundtable time once again and things are a little different this month. Our regular panellists have been given the month off and the news topics have been dropped in favour of a special edition that focus completely on modding classic C&C games like the original C&C, Red Alert, Tiberian Sun, Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge. It's a real mammoth sized Roundtable as well, with 8 questions covering a wide range of classic modding subjects.

roundtable25.jpg

We've assembled a great new look panel this month, many of whom are key contributors in the area of modding the older C&C games.

Click here to read Roundtable Discussion #25. And many thanks goes to Banshee and Doctor Destiny for their help in arranging this special Roundtable.

I fixed the TI link here, but it's still incorrect on the Roundtable page. :P

Anyway. Good to see classic modding getting a new breath of life.

It was well worth a read. I would agree that the only way to really revolutionize the classic C&C modding is to get EA release the source code for the games. I mean, what do they have to lose?

Heh, looking at the other answers now, it might've been worth mentioning the TDX project. My 1.06c patch will actually add a bunch of new units internally, but they won't be buildable, for obvious balance reasons, and because they'll have no graphics. Amongst the fun ideas for TDX was a rubber boat as river/sea troop transport :P

Edited by Nyerguds

Got a question Sonic, is that Apollo guy from Robot Storm/Revora named as Shawn Clark? Or is that another Apollo user? Just puzzling. I did not know he was interested in modding.

But anyways, that's another nice roundtable discussion.

I doubt that's his real name... I've known Apollo as Tau'ri, back in his C&C1 modding days.

Again, thanks for asking me to be a part of this Roundtable Discussion. After reading through my answers there are a few things I wouldn't mind re-wording and adding, but no worries so long as I got my point across.

Also, the Twisted Insurrection link is broken on the Roundtable page, just thought I'd mention this if Fen's post was missed. :P

Edited by Aro

First of all, I loved this edition of the roundtable, although the answers given by all members for some questions were too similar, specially question 7.

Got a question Sonic, is that Apollo guy from Robot Storm/Revora named as Shawn Clark? Or is that another Apollo user? Just puzzling. I did not know he was interested in modding.

But anyways, that's another nice roundtable discussion.

Apollo from Revora is not the Apollo from GameReplays, so no, he is not Shawn Clark.

Interesting on the differing opinions on which game is easiest to mod ;)

Re coverage of older mods, feel free to email chickendippers [at] cncworld.org and I'm happy to post it. My personal policy is not to post "new renders" type news, but screenshots, trailers, releases etc I'm happy to post!

Edited by chickendippers

Yeah question 7 (news coverage) was of most interest to me. Its something I want to improve, well from a CNCNZ.com point of view anyway. Apollo's answer to question sounded all to familiar to me.

No, I recall hearing quite a bit of C&C websites had adapted practice of not posting older C&C's Mod news deeming them too old games.

I think what was missing, is links to all the mods mentioned... and not just the mods the 'tablers are actively involved in.

Truth be told, I haven't heard of most of them.

Well, for me, that's

-(TS) Return of the Dawn

-(TS) Dawn of the Tiberium Age

-(TW) "Tiberian Dawn"

-C&C95 unofficial patch 1.06 developement thread

If I'd known they'd be added, I would've put links in my mail too...

And I guess that as website to put behind my name, there's always the Project 1.06 website...though it's kinda, eh, sober...

Edited by Nyerguds