Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

C&C 4 GDI Mission: Transport Down

Here's your first in depth look at the single player campaign in Command & Conquer 4. In this video, Command & Conquer 4 Designer Sam Bass provides insight in to the GDI single player mission, Transport Down.

Criticism time -

Pros :

1. Still a good gameplay, but unsure.

2. Nice transmission of a soldier showing up, but I still prefer to show on the radar screen.

Cons :

1. It still doesn't look quite like C&C, it's about 50% only.

2. Arrrggg, no sidebar! One day when I'm using Widescreen, I'm going to lose a lot of battlefield view.

3. EVA voiceover is like a modified version of EotRS's. NO WAY! I wanna hear a computerized version like in TS.

Neutral :

1. Crash landing drop pods? Wow!

2. Structure capturing does look a little like Starcraft 2, or was it Star Wars Empire at War. Did they copy their ideas?

Overall, don't tell me about it's still too early to judge, what month is it today? So now it's the time to judge and start making tons of major changes. Nod unit models will be one of them, the EVA voiceover might be another.

Edited by Silverthorn

I quite liked the little people that pop up like that. Very cool. ^_^

As for the actual mission, eh it seems alight I guess. He didn't sound very enthusiastic about the whole thing, which I found amusing. :P

GDI looks pretty good on this one

I noticed that units take longer to get killed and seems to have a slower range then on previous C&C's

Looks not bad.

Looks mildly dissapointing, but I'll have to see what the future holds :P

That's looking really good. I like the pace. It's reminscent of the older C&C games where you're units didn't die in 0.2 seconds flat in a big fight. :rolleyes:

Wow that forgotten scrapbus or whatever the name is needs it's size cut in half... it's big as a mastodon... i am pretty they havnt begun to do much with the unit scaling yet though

Guest Stevie_K

Best gameplay video yet. The first one we saw was really bad imo.

This actually begins to look like a C&C game. The damage process is awesome, and that transport looks amazing.

I would love if they could change the "capturing progress bar", it looks very childish. a digital green color would look better.

Notice how GDI has changed their faction color once again. It started as yellow, then orange and now blue?

About the only thing I think really needs some work, is the bottom interface bar. It still takes up too much space. It could easily be made a lot smaller.

Notice how GDI has changed their faction color once again. It started as yellow, then orange and now blue?
Actually, I'm pretty sure that, at least on the mini-map, GDI was blue in C&C3 as well.

Wow that forgotten scrapbus or whatever the name is needs it's size cut in half... it's big as a mastodon... i am pretty they havnt begun to do much with the unit scaling yet though

exactly as my thought. its way too big...

and that bottom bar, its really annoying when you cant see what happen at the bottom part..

but otherwise, C&C4 looks promising...

It looks to me as if they resized some of the units. I also like how the Nod Avenger tanks look.

Yeah the giant scrap bus is the only thing worthy of my comments.

I liked the fact that the ship was animated at the end and took off, and was not just a decoration.

It hasn't sold me yet though.

I like the positivity on this thread.

Except you, Gben. :mad:

That's because I opted to keep my opinion to myself this time around...

That's because I opted to keep my opinion to myself this time around...

Well...Maybe you should do that more often. XD

>_>

<_<

*flees*

Well...Maybe you should do that more often. XD

Since you poked the sleeping dragon, I'll just have to belch a fireball on you before I slither back into my cave.

Three months ago:

I hoped the changes to the C&C I was fond of would turn out ok.

I set my skepticism aside and prepared myself to enjoy a new game that might not be what I expect.

I tried to ignore every announcement that set this generation further away from its roots as something I would have to try to judge.

Then I played the beta...

I decided I would limit my criticisms for the sake of others.

I assumed the beta was really rough yet and would improve over time.

I figured the single-player campaigns could at least be better.

But the game only got worse...

Now, I'm afraid that my indifference has manifested. I no longer care. Not about this game, not about optimism, not about the community's take on it.

I still care about C&C, don't think I've turned into a Saracen clone... but this is not C&C. This is something grotesque and malformed.

I will buy this game when its price has reached a point so cheap, they are practically paying me to take it off the shelves.

I hope C&C has not died, but was merely beaten badly with a Tiberian Twilight stick and will recover after a few months of SelfHealing=yes.

That being said, those of you that still cower with your tiny candle of hope still flickering, may your flame not be trampled under the feet of the crawlers. Maintain your blissful optimism without ordering it to self-destruct to free up your pop cap, and don't let the worm men tell you to give up.

About the only thing I think really needs some work, is the bottom interface bar. It still takes up too much space. It could easily be made a lot smaller.

I agree, I still feel it takes too much space, especially for both normal & widescreen users.

But I still doubt the dev team will ever fix those mistakes. They trashed our sidebar & "best of both worlds combination of both bottom & sidebar" requests, and now what after that?

He didn't sound very enthusiastic about the whole thing, which I found amusing. :P

Yeah he does sound a little boring. A senior designer for Stormrise (one of the most unfortunately poor RTS game in history) had major enthusiasm for his game. EA should do walkthroughs like this:

On topic however... This game appears as just OK. Nothing more nothing less. This walkthrough isn't being seemingly positive or negetive. I liked the part where Same Bass @ 3 minutes says:

Same capturing Mechanic as in... [hesitation] ....capturing the mutant structures.

Was the hesitation because he was going to say [insert another tactical RTS here.. aka Dawn of War 2]? Sounded like it to me. Regardless, he's doing a poor job at selling it to everyone.

My PC's DVD drive is busted, has been for some time now. This video isn't exactly urging me to replace it in time for March. As far as I'm concerned PC gaming (and specifically RTS gaming) has had its time. It's a moot genre, one that may only be revitalised by Starcraft 2. Maybe that game might put some faith back into other developers and their publishers. Because at this point in time C&C 4 isn't going to be a game to even try such a thing.

Edited by Saracen

My take:

1. Overall designs look "cartoony" and some animations are cheesy.

2. The officers appearing for the mission objective uplinks on the UI look like they are dressed for Ra3 rather than for the futuristic C&C4.

In conclusion, it doesn't seem like the developers know anything about TS.

Edited by Pepzi

2. The officers appearing for the mission objective uplinks on the UI look like they are dressed for Ra3 rather than for the futuristic C&C4.

In conclusion, it doesn't seem like the developers know anything about TS.

I agree, something doesn't seem right, this is not Commander Warren Fuller or Commander Hill or whoever commander like in RA3 or Uprising. GDI is supposed to be all yellow like Michael McNeil in TS! Hey, cinematic people, what the hell is going on here, did you forget TS on purpose?!

In conclusion, I bet they take the old Westwood games for granted again, they only look into their own made games from Generals to now, so expect lots of gaps all over again. *face palms and shakes no*

Edited by Silverthorn

Personally, I'm most likely not going to count C&C4 as official cannon.

But I suppose I should play the single player campaign first, but I have no hope that it will be a good one...

I agree, something doesn't seem right, this is not Commander Warren Fuller or Commander Hill or whoever commander like in RA3 or Uprising. GDI is supposed to be all yellow like Michael McNeil in TS! Hey, cinematic people, what the hell is going on here, did you forget TS on purpose?!

In conclusion, I bet they take the old Westwood games for granted again, they only look into their own made games from Generals to now, so expect lots of gaps all over again. *face palms and shakes no*

It basically doesn't even matter anymore what kind of "epic conclusion" their planning for this series, as we have seen throughout the years they keep pulling all sorts of random stuff out of their *** that they supposedly somehow want to connect to the big picture (is there one, even?) of what this series is (atleast was...) about.

Edited by Pepzi