Sign in to follow this  
comander starlin

battle for Hawaii, pearl habour

hay in RA2 have you guys noticed a major bug that is in all versions of the game even after all the patches.

It is on the Hawaii map as the allies and your goal is to defeat the soviets.

Well on this map in the area where they land if you send your gun boats here right at the very start (must be the first thing you do) to the landing spot for the soviets if you destroy the machine gun tower in that area you automatically complete the stage, even though it should really take you 30min etc. but you can complete it in about 30sec. now i have Known about this bug for years in the first week of the game being out, i am just surprised that this bug was never fixed even on The First Decade. :o

Edited by comander starlin

That's not the only mission you can wipe out in well under the par time. I can finish the Black Forest mission with 4 minutes by taking my starting forces and wiping out the MCVs before they really land. It's not hard.

Then again, very little of RA2 was all that hard.

I can finish the Black Forest mission with 4 minutes by taking my starting forces and wiping out the MCVs before they really land.

Which one was Black Forest?

Then again, very little of RA2 was all that hard.

True.

my question is you would have taught they would have fixed these major bugs, as it does **** the gameplay down on the game.

I think they are more of oversights than bugs. And if they can overlook it once, they can do it again.

It's just that the game needs a structure for the soviets on the map at the start otherwise they lose straight away because the objective is to destroy all enemy structures, and they didn't expect people to go rushing at the start.

but that is the thing it is a very big oversight and as we all know you scout you enemy first so that way you are not in the dark. and in that example shouldn't they have put 2 structures on the islands so that way if you get one you cant get the other so you have to play the field. it just seems really floored and the should have put that extra $1 worth of effort into it. it just bugs me that it is such a bad over site. but in saying that in the other C&C games are there anymore bugs like this that you guys have come across just to see how bad it is on the final product.

If they were getting paid $1 per time required to add one structure, I really wish I had been on the RA2 dev team.

Jesting aside, many times I have made maps in which were full of many bugs during testing. Obviously I would attempt to correct these as soon as I finished testing my modifications, however, I often prioritized certain errors which were much more noticeable and forgot everything I knew needed to be fixed. Sometimes I would remember it again next time I tested, and would promptly forget again with more errors that needed correction.

Beyond that, I have made games before (not RA2/YR) in which there is a set path which is intended to be followed. I do expect the player to explore and discover secrets I have hidden. I recall a Zelda spoof I made once that when I loaned it to my friend to play, he discovered an error I had made which allowed him to bypass a large portion of the game through a secret passage and come back down the correct path from the wrong direction, which was unscripted.

I put that secret passage there intentionally and it was supposed to be findable, but my friend found it and used it at the wrong time and was capable of breaking out of the confines I had put in place for story progression.

That was the first time I really realized how annoyingly clever non-programmers are, always looking for, and often finding, ways to exploit the game through tiny errors. It never occurred to me that someone would use the secret passage in reverse, because I knew how the game was meant to be played and always played it in that way when I was testing it.

I do not doubt that is the same case with these guys that designed the missions. Every time they tested it, they probably played it just the way it was intended. I know, early scouting and blowing up an enemy structure may seem obvious to you, and maybe to my friend, walking through a secret passage backward was just as obvious, after all, it was there, what else would you do with a secret passage you found? Not walk through it?

i was just saying it would cost about $1 to fix that problem, but hay.

and with that error i found i lost the mission the first time, as i generally start these games on the hardest difficulty. i had no idea where the enemy base was and i just got my arse handed to me as i had no idea where it was. so upon round 2, my first reaction was go find where the base was so that way i could concentrate my attacks on that area. and in the process i came across a machine gun tower and figure to destroy it now so i don't have to think about it later, and then mission end. so when this happened i taught man this is a big bug and they should fix it but after all the patches it was just plain ignored.

so to me i think that is why beta should be open to a wide range of testers as, thing like these really let you down on the quality of the game. but hay i still like to bust our RA2 once a year. but it will never live on like RA1 as this is always on my hard drive and PSP, and at lest once a week i will play some gaming goodness