Sign in to follow this  
Kataris

Internet Shared Components problem

Before you ask, yes. I have a legal copy of RA2, with the two CDs and all.

But my problem is that when I try to go online, the game keeps telling me to reinstall my internet shared components from my CD, which I've done several times. I've done it in two different locations, and when I try to uninstall either of them, they give me a message "Cannot find game directory".

Is there some kind of patch that I need to install or something to get online now?

EDIT: Discovered that I can't uninstall RA2 either.

EDIT 2: Tried to reinstall, also deleted registry values of RA2 using CCleaner. Apparently my computer doesn't recognize that RA2 is installed at all!

Edited by Kataris

If you end up with that error, you absolutely have to delete the RA2 folder, wipe the registry keys and make sure no trace of RA2 is left. Then you need to power off your PC to clear the memory and cache, then power back up and do a full reinstall.

I followed the instructions and the problem still persists. The only difference now is that I'm capable of uninstalling RA2. I still can't uninstall the internet shared components, and it still gives me the same error when I try to go online.

Also, RA2 isn't showing up in Add/Remove programs. Is there any way to manually hook up the internet shared components with RA2 via the registry?

Edited by Kataris

You won't be able to uninstall RA2 in the traditional way. You'll have to wipe it, run CCleaner to clear it all out and turn off your PC. If that doesn't work, I have no idea. RA2 is chock full of stupid errors you can't fix.

I already tried using CCleaner. I just scan the registry and "fix the problems" which often equates to deleting them, right? Or is there another way to use CCleaner to remove all traces of RA2?

EDIT: I may have fixed the problem. I was told to download this file: http://files.zzattack.org/misc/WOL_Internet_Components.exe

Instead of giving me an error, it's now asking me to update. So hopefully this works and fixes my problem. If it does, I have only the sound distortion in videos problem to worry about.

EDIT 2: New problem! It says my serial is invalid, even though this came from a preorder of RA3 in Bestbuy, which had RA2 plus the serial included. So the serial is definitely valid, yet the game says it isn't. Is there any way to fix this or find out why this is happening?

EDIT 3: Okay, apparently when installing the game, it didn't store the CD keys anywhere, so the game thought I was running it without a CD Key. I used XCC.exe to put in the serial myself which fixed the problem! Hooray!

Edited by Kataris