Sign in to follow this  
apoptygma

C&C 1/Tiberium Dawn for Macintosh

So EA have released red alert and tiberium dawn as freeware, but I can't find the macintosh version anywhere online, Does anyone know of a location to grab it? I can't see why it wouldn't be perfectly okay to do so. I've tried asking APOC the CM from EA but he hasn't replied.

Oh a related note, does anyone know if it's possible to run the 640x480 version of either game in DOSbox? This could be a viable alternative.

For this I recommend you dualboot with windows or use a virtual thingy. I'm pretty definite none of the classics have been released on mac.

There is no mac version. It's from 1995.

I'm pretty definite none of the classics have been released on mac.

cncmacos.jpg

Then that box is just my imagination then?

C&C1 was released for Mac OS in 1996, 1 year before the Windows version.

There have been no free release of C&C Mac and I can't find a download anywhere on the internet. But if you find one I guess it's legal to download it since C&C has been released as freeware anyways and there is no exclusive content in the Mac versions.

Anyways you cannot run C&C95 in DOSbox but you can run it nicely on WINE ;) C&C95 is extremely similar to the Mac version it even runs in the same resolution!

Oh by the way don't forget Nyerguds' 1.06 patch! It increases stability and fixes in bugs in good ol' C&C95 :)

Edited by Tore

I can't use WINE or load windows on this machine, it's a PowerPC not an intel processor. I can run the DOS version under DOSbox but it's performance is terrible. This is a G4 with a 1.67Ghz CPU and would run the native mac version nicely if I could actually locate a copy anywhere on the net. If anyone has is and can upload it somewhere that would be fantastic.

Though the original was released on Mac, you'll be hard pressed to find a working download anywhere. The only version you'll get is the original, not the Gold version though.

Though the original was released on Mac, you'll be hard pressed to find a working download anywhere. The only version you'll get is the original, not the Gold version though.

The Mac version is neither 'original' or 'gold' afaik, it's the Mac version. It runs in the 640x400 res the same as the '95 windows version and uses patch 1.72 - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Command_%26_C...er_(video_game) for more detail.

While rummaging through the ol' Westwood FTP server I found a mac demo for C&C1 ftp://ftp.westwood.com/pub/cc1/previews/

go to mac demo, and i hope you know what to do from there.

Not on a Mac at the moment but thanks for the idea, Guessing once I un-stuff the file I'll see a replaceable/editable MIX file *fingers crossed*

Guest Stevie_K
C&C1 was released for Mac OS in 1996, 1 year before the Windows version.

One year after you mean yes? ;)

There were actually two versions of Command & Conquer released. The original C&C DOS version was first. Then in 1997 Westwood upgraded the game by utilising the SVGA graphics that can be seen in Red Alert and added support for Westwood Online so the game could played via the Internet. This new version was re-released as Command & Conquer Gold for Windows 95.

1995 C&C DOS

1996 C&C Mac (I think)

1997 C&C Gold

Well the readme on the C&C95 CD says "January 24th 1997", so it might've been less than a complete year... more like a few months, most probably.

Nyerguds, have you ever C&C for MAC anywhere?

One year after you mean yes? ;)

Sonic answered but no, that's not correct. The original version was for DOS, not Windows.

Okay I got the demo up and running, looks like it uses the normal .mix files so I can plug in the files from my full-version c&c95 discs, haven't tried it yet but what I'm expecting is that the game simply won't read them because the executable isn't coded to do so, then I got a second idea - that is that if I were to download the patch 1.7x for the mac version it would likley have the updated executable in the archive so I can replace the existing one, which makes me wonder if I could have just used the patch + PC mix files all along, hopefully if this isn't the case the demo contains the mac-specific files which I would need to fill in the gaps. I'll give it a go. The real test will be seeing if I can get a game going over IPX between the mac and the PC, given that nyer's TCP patch liklely won't work on the mac.

The TCP patch isn't mine. It's Scorpio9a's. I just added it into my bigger C&C95 patch.

Nyerguds, have you ever C&C for MAC anywhere?

I think oke of my friends has it. The demo is on the WW FTP, too.

[edit]

You can find it on ebay, but not below 30 euros... more like 50, if you want it with the original jewel case.

Edited by Nyerguds

woot... I have to test that out.

Wait... how do you deselect on a mac?

Do you Ctrl/Command + Click or something?

lol, not a fricking clue.

[edit]

Mac manual seems to just give the shift+click equivalent, or the "special function mouse button (defined in the game's configuration screen)". Not sure what that means... the manual I got is a scan of the French version, so it' snot really clear altogether.

Edited by Nyerguds