Sonic

Kane To Survive Command & Conquer 4?

In an interview with IncGamers, Command & Conquer 4 lead designer Sam Bass has cast doubt on what seemed previously certain: Kane may not die in Command & Conquer 4 after all.

normal_fmv1.jpg

When we asked the reasoning behind killing off series antagonist Kane, Bass took the opportunity to correct us, noting that he "can't say we're killing him off - we're doing something with him."

We followed this up by asking point-blank whether the team was killing off Kane or not, Bass only smiled, and answered "We may be..."

Either way, Command & Conquer 4 is set to be Kane's grand finale, and Bass did give us some reasoning behind the decision to give our balding overlord a send-off. "Kane is very iconic for the series," Bass told IncGamers. "It was beginning to feel like we roll him out every couple of years and go 'It's Kane!'"

"It was kinda losing its impact and we really wanted to, rather than just roll him out again and go 'Look, it's Kane again,' really amp up his story and bring it to a conclusion."

Check out the full story on IncGamers for more.

It was beginning to feel like we roll him out every couple of years and go 'It's Kane!'

Yeah, so?

Kane was good enough, there was no problem with it.

In fact, his appearance is the sole reason a lot of fans are showing any interest in C&C4 at all.

Some characters gain a high enough respectability that their name alone is sufficient to draw interest.

What would the Legend of Zelda be without Link? Some of the games don't even have Zelda, it's namesake, and there is nothing wrong with that, because Link is the hero.

I never thought Kane will die in this chapter, although I don't think he won't die either. It's ok if they want to conclude the story and do something with Kane, but if the only reason to get rid of him is because he seemed repetitive, then that is a fallacy. True C&C fans would never get sick of Kane.

Guest Stevie_K

Interesting indeed. Looking forward to see how the whole storyline works out.

SPOILERS MUCH?!!!

Seriously though, you can't kill the Messiah!

Sounds like another flawed story plot to the end of the C&C series. I say Kane rules the world and the GDI, when the story ends. Does Kane ever retire?

maybe they will end up controlling tiberium on earth (as shown in-game) and then turn the moon green with tiberium. The moon will be the source of the earth's energy.

silly I know but my guess xD

They better not kill Kane off. After all this time killing him would be so anticlimactic. Plus Kane is too badass to just let himself be killed. :P

I'm going to miss Nod a LOT in the future C&C games. Heck, I've only played as GDI once the whole time I've had the beta for C&C4. What do you guys think the chances are of Nod returning in future games? Suppose they could carry the story on with GDI and Scrin, but I don't see the fans going with that for too long. At the same time, a Kane-less Nod is hard to imagine. >_>

I don't know.

This is like Ernie the Giant Chicken on Family Guy. No matter how many times he dies, he comes back for me. Kane must enjoy pain or something. >_>

Yeah, so?

Kane was good enough, there was no problem with it.

In fact, his appearance is the sole reason a lot of fans are showing any interest in C&C4 at all.

Some characters gain a high enough respectability that their name alone is sufficient to draw interest.

What would the Legend of Zelda be without Link? Some of the games don't even have Zelda, it's namesake, and there is nothing wrong with that, because Link is the hero.

I never thought Kane will die in this chapter, although I don't think he won't die either. It's ok if they want to conclude the story and do something with Kane, but if the only reason to get rid of him is because he seemed repetitive, then that is a fallacy. True C&C fans would never get sick of Kane.

No, they have a point. However, the only reason he felt repetitive is because of the ****ty job EA did with the FMV's in C&C3. They destroyed the character.

Can you recall your feelings after you beat Firestorm? The unquenchable desire to know more about Kane. Can you honestly say you felt like that after C&C3? I can't.

I have never assumed that Kane would die, and not until now I realize what "The man who killed Kane" means. :D

I agree with Luk3us, you can't kill the Messiah!

By the way, while we are on the subject, how is CNCNZ's stance on spoilers in the news posts? Can we expect the entire story to be revealed in a news posts if it is posted somewhere/leaked?

Sigh - EA just can't help themselves and spoil rather than entice the story!?!

Sonic is pretty strict with spoiler information, but there is always a lag between posts and reviews... so be warned.

A few things here. EALA never said Kane was going to die at all. They only said this would be the end of this Kane/GDI/Nod/Tiberium storyline. How it all ends? Maybe Kane wins, controls Earth and Nod reign supreme.... that would be cool!

Re-read the news at IncGamers. Sam Bass is doing the usual dodge the question routine for the sake of the keeping things secret, as he should be doing. In fact he doesn't reveal **** all, its the way InGamers wrote their article that leads you down the path of your EA hatred thinking they are doing it all wrong. Once again you guys all see the negative points and focus on that. Try to be more open minded.

By the way, while we are on the subject, how is CNCNZ's stance on spoilers in the news posts? Can we expect the entire story to be revealed in a news posts if it is posted somewhere/leaked?

No news will appear that will reveal potential plot points. I can assure you of that. If anything was to be posted you will be given plenty of warning.

All these sensational tidbits, meh. I'll play the campaign and hopefully the storyline doesn't stink.

Maybe Kane wins, controls Earth and Nod reign supreme.... that would be cool!

Well, the thing is in most games, only the good guys win. If Kane and Nod were the good guys, I would agree with you. :rolleyes:

Well, the thing is in most games, only the good guys win. If Kane and Nod were the good guys, I would agree with you. :rolleyes:

Well, Kane is the good guy. :kw: :kw: :kw:

So true.

Well, Kane is the good guy. :kw::kw::kw:

Ha. So ironic.

GDI vs Nod maybe a case of Good vs Evil but if you think about it, Kane and the Brotherhood are not the bad guys in this story. Yeah they have done bad things, destroyed lots of stuff, killed many people. But Kane is simply fighting for what he believes in. Through all the games and plot holes it is never directly identified that Kane is evil.

GDI vs Nod maybe a case of Good vs Evil but if you think about it, Kane and the Brotherhood are not the bad guys in this story. Yeah they have done bad things, destroyed lots of stuff, killed many people. But Kane is simply fighting for what he believes in. Through all the games and plot holes it is never directly identified that Kane is evil.

Of course everyone thinks that they're the good guys.

Then again, I think that Nod are the good guys, as well. :P

So true.

GDI vs Nod maybe a case of Good vs Evil but if you think about it, Kane and the Brotherhood are not the bad guys in this story.

I think that Nod are the good guys, as well. :P

Kane will be so pleased to see that his propaganda is such a success.

Kane will be so pleased to see that his propaganda is such a success.

You are gullible enough to buy into GDI's lies?

You are gullible enough to buy into GDI's lies?

What? Of course not! Kane's propaganda worked on me too. :kw:Peace through power! :kw:

What? Of course not! Kane's propaganda worked on me too. :kw:Peace through power! :kw:

Oh. Excellent!

For Kane! :kw:

Actions speak louder than words. Kane isn't fighting for what he believes, he's fighting for what he wants. The 'belief' is the delusion of that fuels his followers to fulfill his endgame, but ultimately everybody is dispensible. It's good writing that seeks to blur the roles, which I applaud. But no matter what the spin, Kane is evil.