Sign in to follow this  
Wraith

TibSun crash

So I just installed the free version EA released (which is apparently the same as the First Decade version). Here's my problem: When I try to play online, it will show the 'Connecting to Westwood Online' message, then give me the good old 'Tiberian Sun has encountered an internal error' box.

I used to get these seemingly randomly under my old installation on XP, with the original release. On this install, the game doesn't crash randomly, but I get that error every time I try to get online.

I'm running this in win7, under XPSP2 compatibility mode. I have tried different combinations of compatibility modes and Admin access. I also read that restricting the process to one core could help. It didn't.

Has anyone heard of a problem similar to this? Thanks.

Here is the text of the except.txt file (I omitted the stack dump)

Error code: EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

Description: The thread tried to read from or write to a virtual address for which it does not have the appropriate access.
Access address:00000000 was read from.
Exception occurred at 00698FDE

Version 2.03
Internal Version 2.0
Release Build: 10 by STEVE_TALL - 06/05/2000 - 14:27:06
CPU 686, MMX Yes, Vendor: GenuineIntel 

Details:
Eip:00698FDE    Esp:0018EC78    Ebp:0018ECF0
Eax:00000000    Ebx:094B1400    Ecx:FFFFFFFF
Edx:00000002    Esi:094B1408    Edi:00000000
EFlags:00010246 
CS:0023  SS:002b  DS:002b  ES:002b  FS:0053  GS:002b

Bytes at CS:EIP (00698FDE)  : F2 AE F7 D1 83 C1 1F 51 E8 EC C1 01 00 8B 7C 24 68 8B E8 83 C9 FF 33 C0 F2 AE F7 D1 2B F9 68 34

Crashed in the WOL Chat routine, this error is common in the Free TS copy, you need to register the WOL Components IIRC.

Crashed in the WOL Chat routine, this error is common in the Free TS copy, you need to register the WOL Components IIRC.

Thanks for the quick response.

With the registerWOL batch file? I did that. I even went though a fresh install, still the same problem. Do you know of any patches out there to fix this problem?

Maybe I spoke too soon. I am now able to connect and play games online, but whenever I try to exit, the game freezes. I have to exit it through the task manager. I tried to post on the official forums, but it appears I'm unable to. This only happens when I connect to the WOL Chat. Thanks in advance.

That helps me as well.

I was encountering the same issue with my version of Tibsun (on The First Decade package) and I'm glad to know this is a fixable problem.

I could never play a whole battle in skirmish all the way through due to this problem, thanks. :thumbsup:

My only question is where is this fix supposed to be applied.

It would help if I knew what it edited, but I'm no expert on how Tibsun oporates anyway.