Sonic

No LAN or Dedicated Server Support for C&C 4

We have known since the announcement of Command & Conquer 4 that you will need be online and connected to the internet to play the game, even for single player. It has now been discovered that Command & Conquer 4 will not have LAN or dedicated server support. This was confirmed by lead designer Sam Bass while speaking with Destructoid.

The hot button issue for PC gaming as of late has been LAN and dedicated server support. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2, StarCraft 2 and other games are ditching it.

So what about Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight? Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but on top of the fact that you need to connected online at all times while playing, Command & Conquer 4 won't have LAN or dedicated server support.

The reason being, as lead designer Sam Bass put it, is because of the global player progression system. This system is "across single-player, multiplayer and skirmish and all the information is stored in a server. So if you go to another machine -- friend’s house, Internet café -- whatever, you can login with your profile and all the stuff you’ve unlocked is accessible to you there. It all lives on a server so you can’t really do dedicated servers with that."

It's not all bad news in terms of multiplayer, at least. EA Los Angeles has "completely redone the networking back end of this game." The previous infrastructure that was in place was getting really dated but this new system is "a lot more solid, a lot more modern. There's a really solid networking and just sort of getting into a game is much easier then it was in the past."

Also, Destructoid have posted their preview of the game. So if your interested is some more post release coverage, click here.

ummm when did Command & Conquer use Dedicated Servers to begin with? Unless you mean those custom rooms that were in C&C3, KW and Red Alert 3

I have my doubts about that, even though the purely online stuff is well, online, I'm not sure if the community will like it. The biggest insult ever was Blizzard ditches LAN for Starcraft 2, forcing them to go to their newly improved Battle.net , as usual, if it's not broken, why fix it? C&C4 is reasonable, but Starcraft 2 is a totally different story since it also has offline gameplay.

I find the lack of LAN a bit disapointing tbh as I think that would be quite a fun part of C&C4

I'm really having doubts about getting 4.. Mainly the only reason I still want to is for the story, but... this feels like Zelda 2.

Guest Stevie_K

The lack of LAN is a shame. I play multiplayer games more often at LAN parties than alone since it's sitting many people together.

Of course you can still play many people together, but it would require a much larger connection, and even then it would be quite laggy I think.

Yeah, I don't understand why hot games have to ditch LAN. Are those companies are greedy just to invest "improvements" or test their own "super" server for themselves instead of for the fans? They should do that as a test on a non-hot game.

I don't blame EALA doing that on C&C4 since I already read Raj's interview and his reason. But for the other companies who made MW2 & SC2 who ditched LAN, that is just plain stupid.

"Every tyrant who has lived has believed in freedom - for himself." -Elbert Hubbard

This is retarded. Why yes, games "perfect" for LAN play should never come with LAN support. Can you imagine if the first Starcraft didn't have any?

there is defenetly gona be a crack wayarround to skip their servers and play in a VPN mode.

This is retarded. Why yes, games "perfect" for LAN play should never come with LAN support...

^this

EXTRA: Aaargh... the offline profile thing - or lack of it - is really annoying me right now.

I didn't intend to play it online anyway.

Same here. Get C&C 4, install it play through the campagins and that's about it. No interest in MP.

I can say it again: EA completely f***** ** this game :( The biggest game disappointment of my life is C&C4...

Edited by Jarzka

I did say that C&C 4 will be disappointing a long time a go but every one thort I was mad, its a rush game and they just copyed suff from other game.

Like the no base build bit got from Dawn of war 2 and from others, and also when I have seen ingame videos its like whaching DOW 2 and bit, also bits from Supreme Commander with the upgrades bit.

I think lot of C&C fans will be very disappointed about C&C 4, to me its a one of a hell of cheap rushed game with not much gone in to it.

Best C&C ever

NO

Edited by Zenix
Image removed, don't hotlink from other sites, upload to image hosting service instead.

Ah the doom and gloom returns. Are you people even C&C fans? Ever since The Ascension Trailer over the weekend I've been looking forward to SP campaign. I have a feel it may surprise people and actually be damn good.

This isn't surprising... it's just the way of the future.. With the DRM procedure in place, LAN would be impossible since you're running off a single, none or very few IPs. And to be honest, unless you're a uber hardcore PC Nerd/player or run some sort of games con, who the hell LAN plays these days?

Dedicated support being dropped isn't an issue either.. I find peer to peer pretty solid on the Multiplayer games I play. And damn do I play a lot of Modern Warfare 2 Multiplayer on my PS3. :P

The "Ascension" trailer shows us that the end will be quite predictable... :unsure:

Edited by Zenix

And to be honest, unless you're a uber hardcore PC Nerd/player or run some sort of games con, who the hell LAN plays these days?

I do. :rolleyes:

I still play alot of LAN games with my family. All ranging from SWAT 4, Civ 4, to Neverwinter Nights. LAN games are not last years thing. Alot of people still use the feature, and its a slap in every consumers face for these companies not to include it. Take what you can and give nothing back should be the new slogan for these companies.

Sonic ill agree that the SP Story does interest me and looks awesome, but im not going to pay 50 bucks for a Online Only C&C. EA lost my money when they announced that Anti-Piracy gimmick disguised as a fun feature. Even though i can bet anyone 100 bucks that the pirates will have that crap cracked in under 24 hours which is a real shame for those that pay for it. Once again paying customers get the shaft while pirates get the best features. I'll wait until the game is in the bargin bin to get it.

Edited by Publix666

If this is true, EALA should have changed their minds of dropping online support as the next step, which should make C&C4 to be played offline. Just remember the longevity of C&C4 will be very short (shorter than RA3) before the pwning of SC2 and C&C players complaining for offline support.

And besides most people wanted to play C&C4 offline anyway. These eliminations of LAN and Dedicated Servers are okay for some but I would like the offline mode to be issued as well.

With the achievements used in C&C4 online, it should be used just like the Left 4 Dead series, meaning the achievements can be used and kept offline instead of online (in which EALA likes to progress with on each logged player). Where's the privacy in C&C4 that a gamer needs?

C&C has always been either an offline game and played with friends over the internet or on a LAN.

The explanation given, "because of the global player progression system", is really lame. We all know that the ability to play LAN does not need to be hindered by this. As with DRM, this is simply another dumb try to hinder piracy, any other reason given is a lie.

Edited by recover

I do. :rolleyes:

But aren't you "a uber hardcore PC Nerd/player"? :P