Sign in to follow this  
J-Fire_Man

Formatting My Computer

I have an important question here. Do I need to change anything after I formated my computer and erasing my whole data? I mean is, do I need to change the BIOS settings or what? I'am using two kinds of windows this time (98 & XP), and now I want 98 to be removed, lot of my friedns says that I must format my computer, does anyone know another way to prevent my data loss? Please, help me.

how are things set up? where is 98? where is XP? Diffrent hd? Same hd, diffrent partitions? how much spare space do you have? How much do you need to move?

I dunno if this will work for win 98 but go into add/remove programes in XP and see if u can see windows 98 and uninstall it or click on the add/remove windows components button

it worked on my old machine when i wanted Win 2000 off and just XP on

If 98 is on C: and XP on D:, then its kinda tricky.

Since C: holds the boot stuff.

The best what I think is to do is to upgrade 98 to xp, move everything from the other XP to the other one and then remove the one on D;. But further on...

There is no really good way to remove a windows version that is on C:...

how are things set up? where is 98? where is XP? Diffrent hd? Same hd, diffrent partitions? how much spare space do you have? How much do you need to move?

How things are setup? Don't know, not me the one who setup that, but when I start my computer, there is an option to choose the windows operation.

Both 98 and XP is in one hardisk and one drive.

I have 10 Gb spare space.

I want to move 3 Gb of my files so it will be safe.

Please help me!!!

It really depends on which operating system is on C: partition. If it is Windows XP, then you can just format the D: and there will be no problems. If Windows 98 is on the C:, then things will be trickier.

If Windows 98 is on the C:, the first thing you need to do is back up anything you want to keep from the Windows 98 drive onto the Windows XP drive. Once you are satisfied you have everything, you can format the C:, erasing all data on that partition. Insert the Windows XP CD in your computer, and boot from it. You will install it on the primary partition (C: drive).

Once you have installed Windows, you can transfer the files from the D: drive to the C:, and then format the D: drive to clear out all data. It takes some time, but it is really the only option.

I've solved the problem. Thanks for all of your advice.

ok, i was about to say, "if you dont know what to do u shouldnt do it" cause i almost killed a whole network doing something similar to that......