Nmenth

Fixing RA2 and YR errors

Due to a repetition of people questioning why their Red Alert 2 or Yuri's Revenge is not working properly, I have decided a pinned topic regarding this is necessary.

First of all, if you are attempting to run an illegal, cracked, torrented game, that is almost guaranteed to be your problem right there. Buy a legal copy, it is against the forum rules to discuss illegal copies so don't even bother asking if you can't even bring yourself to pay for a real version. If we find out you are using an illegal copy, your posts/topics will be closed/deleted and we will not help you.

I will not get into specific errors here, but if you have a legal copy, here are a couple thing to try before starting a new topic.

• Set compatibility.

Manually set the game compatibility by right-clicking the EXE and setting it there or run the Compatibility Wizard. Set compatibility mode to run as Windows 98 and to run as administrator. Just having an Administrator’s account isn't good enough.

• Download the RA2/YR Clean Up tool.

If you have done any modding or have used any mods before, stray files can cause problems, this program can remove all additions to your RA2 directory.

• Reinstall.

A nuisance perhaps, but sometimes this is exactly what needs to be done.

• If you have a legal copy and tried everything on the above list, then tell us your specific problem and we will go from there.

My game is running slow!

That is due to a plethora of in-game problems but mainly due to the game wanting to render things itself instead of using DirectDraw. This modified DLL is able to alleviate many slowdowns with Red Alert 2 and Tiberian Sun. The DLL is also known to fix WaveClass errors in Tiberian Sun. However, it does not work on every configuration for some reason. If you launch the game and have a black screen but can move the mouse and have audio, the DLL does not work. Even still, success rate is fairly high and should work on most machines.

Set this on the appropriate section in ra2(md).ini;

[Video]
VideoBackBuffer=no

Everything explodes right after the game begins!

This is the game's copy protection at work. This can happen to stock, legal games and the fix is easy - reinstall. However, this issue is more prevalent with illegal copies of the game. Should your copy be pirated, we will not assist you in any way so buy a legal copy of RA2 or The First Decade and come back.

I got this thing that said Internal Error. What do I do?

An Internal Error is an unhandled exception caused within the game's code. You did something the game did not like. This is most often seen while playing modifications but this can happen in the unmodified game (because Westwood didn't get BONUS POINTS). Unfortunately, there is no fix for any of the recurring ones left in the game. They are sporadic and very uncommon so worrying about them is no big deal.

IEs left in the unmodified game;

- [YR] A Magnetron was attacking a structure and had its beam extended beyond its maximum attack range.

- [YR] A player who had mind controlled an undeployed MCV was defeated, causing a civilian-owned MCV to be present.

- [YR] A player who had mind controlled an undeployed MCV had its mind controlling unit destroyed but the original owner house had been defeated, causing a civilian-owned MCV to be present.

Taken from another, similar thread.

I really need to code VideoBackBuffer back into Tiberian Sun...

Hi

I bought a CnC first decade dvd and installed RA2 in windows 7 pc.

Changed the computability settings to run in win 98

Run as administrator and run the game.

when the mission starts in any of the campaigns

After the soldiers and starting resources are deployed next second all of the forces are killed and i get a message saying mission failed.

tried entering skirmish mode but it does not help. ..same result

system configuration is 1.7Ghz intel centrino, 3 gb RAM, 100 gb HD and with win 7.

I had a old CD from which I tried to install red alert 2 and when i tried to play from that cd

I am getting message 'internal library error 5'

your help will be very much appreciated.. .

I encoutered that glitch before. It was on Win 7 32-bit. Fixed it by reinstalling, then running as administrator in Win XP SP2 compatibility mode. If that doesn't work, then I have no idea what to do next.

So aren't we due for a clean, shiny, minty fresh 'how to install/optimise RA2/Yuri on modern operating systems' sticky?

Maybe we should work on guides for all the C&C games with our own particular cnznz accent?

I can do C&C1 and RA1.

In less than 5 lines, in fact :P

So aren't we due for a clean, shiny, minty fresh 'how to install/optimise RA2/Yuri on modern operating systems' sticky?

Maybe we should work on guides for all the C&C games with our own particular cnznz accent?

There's no magic to installing the games on new operating systems. I installed Red Alert 2 and Yuri's Revenge on Windows 7 Pro x64 and the games run flawlessly. They need to be set to run as administrator, and to use XP SP2/3 or Windows 98/ME compatibility, of course. But there's nothing magical about running the games.

Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.

Arthur C. Clarke

Allow me to counter that...

Any technology, no matter how primitive, is magic to those who don't understand it.

-Florence Ambrose

:P

Installation Issue.

I've changed the compatibility and click run as administrator but on my win7 64 comp the next screen says "Cannot locate the CD-ROM. Please insert the correct cd-rom, select OK and restart application".

Could this literally be having trouble finding my cd-rom - even though that's the drive it's being run from?

It's running from a BluRay Drive, allocated "B".

I have multiple original copies (2x allied, 2x soviet) but no luck...

Edited by gben
fixed for posterity

It's hard to copy RA2 and YR, trust me. Maybe you don't have 1.001 installed?

I'm talking about the actual installation with original 'copies' of the disc... I can't install RA2 let alone Yuri.

Do you have a drive with a drive letter beyond C: available? Some old (or bad) software doesn't even bother to check A: and B: because they used to be used by floppy drives by default.

Changed the drive letter and it's installing now... so yeah didn't like my "B" drive.

Hello, I have recently installed Red Alert 2 on my computer and it is not working correctly. I have tried running it in all available compatibility modes and also downloaded the latest driver updates and RA2 patch. If you can offer any advice I would very much appreciate it.

"Annoyed statement: Damn it, Master, I am an assassination droid, not a dictionary!" ―HK-47

Could you give us a little more information? Does it crash at random, refuse to start, do crazy things....

As far as I can tell no, it doesn't do any of that. I can still hear the sounds and when I click where the buttons are it switches menus by the sound of it. And when I check it says it is running. I've also tried re-installing it multiple times.

"Annoyed statement: Damn it, Master I am an assassination droid, not a dictionary!" -HK47

Oh and I do have a legit copy of the game.

Then what is it? Black screen? We can't help if you're speaking in cyphers.

Sorry for the confusion, I'll try to be more clear. Yes, after that it is a black screen. And as i said, it says it's running and all of the music and sound effects still work.

If you get a black screen after running the game, try minimizing and returning to the game. I've heard that work for people.

i get main executable exe crash always , i have win 7 x64 on a asus p5q se2 with e8400

i did all the fixes like compatibility , got an x64 gamemd.exe ( gamemd.exe is the one that crashes always )

but nothing seems to work... my ra 2 and yuri and TFD are all legal.

Pls help me

i fixed it for me

i ran fraps in the background... once i killed it i could play asl ong as i want

Edited by Brian Cohen

You can actually run FRAPS and TFD C&C games if you disable the FPS counter that displays when playing the game. But if it doesn't work, no FRAPS still.