Nmenth

Fixing RA2 and YR errors

You can actually run FRAPS and TFD C&C games if you disable the FPS counter that displays when playing the game. But if it doesn't work, no FRAPS still.

I managed to play TD and RA1 with Fraps' FPS counter on, but it would be off screen for some funky engine-related reason I can't fully understand. But it worked.

An alternative for recording RA2/YR is using CamStudio. Although it's

and requires the What-You-Hear maneuver to get the game sound in the video, it uses a lot less hard drive space. Here's what I managed to record in YR:

What are my options for Yuri via LAN on win7?

Hamachi (see tutorial), Tunngle, Gameranger (recommended)

The LAN patch is linked to in the Hamachi tutorial, but is redundant for Tunngle and Gameranger.

Yeah Fraps with counter turned on works with TD and RA1 (running CnC-DDraw at least), I do get crashes with Fraps turned on even with the counter disabled when playing Tiberian Sun. Same thing with a friend of mine, the game crashes a few minutes after startinga match.

Edited by Iran

The problem lies elsewhere.

You're playing via LAN or XWIS? If 2nd option, then is propably due to desynch between you and your friend.

Edited by Traymen

Huh? There's no desync, the game always crashes for us both. When we turn off Fraps it works just fine.

Why would a crash be a desync lmao

Huh? There's no desync, the game always crashes for us both. When we turn off Fraps it works just fine.

Because for Tiberian Sun is common issue...

A desync can cause a crash.

Actually it's the other way around. Anyway I tested it later on with skirmish too.

I just started a new topic, but now I realize I should have posted my question here, so I'm reposting:

I recently talked my brother into getting RA2 so we could play together, and we both got Hamachi working and all is well, except that neither of us can create games in the LAN lobby. If other people in the Hamachi network create a game, we could both join it, but we can't make our own. He just barely purchased his copy from the Origin Store, and I'm running C&C: The First Decade, so it's not a problem unique to either version. And yes, we are both fully patched and updated.

I've googled this problem, but only found a few occurences of it, and no resolutions to those I have found. Any ideas?

More information: We're both running Windows 7, and in the Networ lobby, we both have the "Join Game" button, but nothing else.

Hello! I'm not sure if it is considered bad form to revive old threads with new questions on this forum? Well, since it is sticky I guess it's fine.

So I bought RA2 a few months ago but am unable to install it to Windows 7. I get to the install screen, then click the "Install" button, then the installer goes away and nothing happens. I've tried every kind of compatibility setting, with and without "Run as Administrator", and nothing makes any difference. I've tried both the Allies disc and the Soviets disv. No luck.

What is weird is, when I first got the game, I installed it just fine. But since then I bought a new hard drive and had to reinstall, and that's when this has happened.

I've been googling my fingertips raw, but so far no answer. Does anybody here know what's going on?

Edited by joques

You will need to remove the Windows Update that disabled SafeDisc, methinks.

Here's how to do it...

Ah, this is the accursed Windows update that blocks SafeDisc-protected games.

Go to Control Panel -> Windows Update -> Installed Updates. Search for the one that has KB3086255. Right-click on it and remove it. Reboot, then manually check for updates. Among the Important Updates, right-click on that KB number and click "Hide This Update".

Yes, that worked! Awesome, thanks! Are there any risks associated with keeping that update off my PC?

Realistically, no. Microsoft will let you believe otherwise, but really, no.

Hm - well it did install properly for me, but I have a new problem. When I try to run the game, I get this error: ***FATAL*** String Manager failed to initialize properly. I've tried the RA21006EN.exe patch and running the executable as Administrator, but no luck. Any ideas?

Run the game in compatibility mode for Windows 98 (XP SP3 if that doesn't work), and disable DPI scaling (also in the compatibility tab).

Ah ... hm. The strangest thing. I tried every compatibiliuty mode there was, but still no luck. Then just for ****s and giggles I turned off compatibility mode, and all of a sudden it worked fine. Cha-ching!!! Love Tanya :-)

Sorry for bumping this old thread, but I have a very strange issue with Yuri's Revenge for which Google provides absolutely no answer.

So basically, all new unit voice lines and sound effects don't play. By new I mean the ones introduced with Yuri's Revenge. For example, the regular GI still says his lines and you can hear him fire his weaponry, while the Guardian GI is completely silent. Units with updated voice lines have a similar issue, like the IFV and Mirage tank. Literally everything else works fine however.

Thanks in advance.

Have you reinstalled? Sounds like something a reinstall would fix faster than fixing manually.

Have you reinstalled? Sounds like something a reinstall would fix faster than fixing manually.

I already did. Twice. If only it were that simple :c

Where did you get the game from? Have you installed and run the game as administrator?

I have the original CD still. And yes to both of those.

EDIT: Fixed it. I realised I hadn't yet tried a full clean reinstall of both RA2 and YR, and after installing both again, the issue is gone! Silly me.

Edited by Gordon_Weedman