Sign in to follow this  
Malevolence

AMD & Nvidia Desktop Graphics Cards Thread

Stupid lying YouTube preview, I was expecting some Spy vs Spy. All I get is a boring talking head.

Check out the fastest ATI Graphics card in the world currently!

Meet the Asus Ares!

---

As for Nvidia...

GeForce GTX 460 to Come in Distinct Variants, Launch Date Surfaces

The much talked about upcoming GeForce GTX 460 GPU from NVIDIA was recently pictured and detailed. Out of its first, grainy pictures, it became clear that the GF104 core it's based on indeed supports a 256-bit wide GDDR5 memory interface, but that only six of its eight 32-bit wide channels were occupied (192-bit), yielding 768 MB of memory. Fresh reports suggest that NVIDIA indeed will release the GeForce GTX 460 in two variants, a 768 MB one, and a 1024 MB (1 GB). The 1 GB variant by design will be faster, even if an application doesn't need all its video memory, because it will have a wider 256-bit memory interface, that's 25% higher memory bandwidth. Both variants will have the same memory clock speed of 900 MHz (3600 MHz effective). The GF104 core will be clocked at 675 MHz on both models, with 336 CUDA cores. Built on the 40 nm process at TSMC, the GeForce GTX 460 768 MB will have a TDP of 150W, while the 1 GB model will have a TDP of 160W. New reports suggest that the 768 MB model will be priced at less than $200. NVIDIA will release the GeForce GTX 460 on the 12th of July.

http://www.techpowerup.com/125655/GeForce_...e_Surfaces.html

Oh come the **** on!

THREE??!!!

Having two PSU's in one case is NOT NORMAL!

Oh come the **** on!

THREE??!!!

Having two PSU's in one case is NOT NORMAL!

Like I said, not for the faint hearted. :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

NVIDIA today announced the latest addition to its Fermi-class of graphics processing units (GPUs), the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 -- which delivers a great DX11 gaming experience and is priced right at the market's $199 sweet spot.

Built from the ground up for DirectX 11 tessellation, GeForce GTX 460 GPUs deliver monster tessellation performance with up to 4x tessellation performance over competing GPUs. The GTX 460 brings the ultimate next-generation DX11 gaming experience to a new price segment, enabling more gamers than ever to experience incredibly detailed characters, terrain and game environments with blazing fast performance and awesome visuals.

With full support for NVIDIA 3D Vision technology, the GeForce GTX 460 provides the graphics horsepower and video bandwidth needed to experience games and high definition Blu-ray movies in eye-popping stereoscopic 3D.

With 336 NVIDIA CUDA cores and 56 texture units, the GeForce GTX 460 comes in two flavors:

* GTX 460 768MB, with a 192-bit memory interface at an estimated U.S. price of $199

* GTX 460 1GB, with a 256-bit memory interface at an estimated US price of $229

The GeForce GTX 460 768MB version is available starting today from the world's leading add-in card partners, including ASL, ASUS, Colorful, ECS, EVGA, Gainward, Galaxy, Gigabyte, Innovision 3D, Jetway, KFA2, Leadtek, MSI, Palit, Point of View, PNY, Sparkle, Zotac and others. Wider availability of the GeForce GTX 460 1GB is expected by July 26, 2010. Consumers are encouraged to check their favorite retailer or e-tailer for availability.

geforcegtx460med3qtr.png

For more information about the GeForce GTX 460 GPU, please visit this page.

Edited by Malevolence

Guest Stevie_K
ATI fans, this is yummy! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

asusaresquadcrossfirex.png

That is gorgeous!! :o

Almost too much.

ASUS Working on MARS II Dual GTX 480 Graphics Accelerator

After treating the enthusiast community to the Republic of Gamers (ROG) ARES Dual HD 5870 graphics accelerator, ASUS isn't wasting any time is designing its successor, referred to (for now) as "MARS II". This graphics accelerator uses two NVIDIA GeForce GTX 480 (GF100) GPUs on one board, that's right, the first dual-GPU accelerator based on GF100, which is dreaded for its thermal and electrical characteristics so much, that NVIDIA is content with having the second-fastest graphics card in the market (GTX 480), with no immediate plans of working on a dual-GPU accelerator.

ASUS' ambitious attempt is in the design stage deep inside its R&D, where the design is in an evaluation state. The R&D gave us some exclusive pictures of the MARS II PCB to treat you with. To begin with, the card's basic design is consistent with almost every other dual-GPU NVIDIA card in recent past. There are two independent GPU systems, each with its own VRM and memory, which are interconnected by an internal SLI, and connected to the system bus by an nForce 200 bridge chip. On this card, two GF100 GPUs with the same configuration as GeForce GTX 480 (GF100-375-A3) are used, each having 480 CUDA cores, and connecting to 1536 MB of GDDR5 memory across a 384-bit wide memory interface.

ASUS' innovations kick in right from the PCB, since it takes a lot of effort to keep such a design electrically stable, as well form an overclockers' product. MARS II uses a PCB with 3 oz copper layers to increase electrical stability, and used a strong VRM. Each GPU system is fed by an 8+2 phase VRM of its own, which use a new Super Alloy choke that reduces core energy loss. The card takes its power input from three 8-pin power inputs, which are fused.

The card is quad SLI capable, and can pair with another of its kind (and probably single GTX 480s). To cool this monstrosity, ASUS is coming up with a beefier than ever cooling solution. With the product being still at an evaluation stage, how long it will take to reach production, or whether it will in the first place, remains to be seen.

marsii1.jpg

marsii2.jpg

marsii3.jpg

http://www.techpowerup.com/126702/ASUS_Wor...ccelerator.html

OMG! 3 8-pin connectors! Nuclear Plant needed!!! This is madness!

I always thought to myself that some time in the not-too-distant future that GPU makers would run into the same barriers that Intel ran into with their thermonuclear Pentium 4 CPUs and being unable to sustain a development cycle of higher clock frequencies and even more heat. I thought that at some point they were going to switch to becoming more efficient with their architecture to get more performance from the same space, while at the same time needing less juice and producing less heat.

I was quite obviously wrong. At the rate nvidia is going, 1TW power supplies are going to be mandatory.

GeForce GTS 450 to Sport New GPU, 128-bit Memory Interface

After an industry-wide launch of the GeForce GTX 460 768M and GTX 460 1G, NVIDIA's next product launch is increasingly looking like a mainstream SKU, which will be based on a newer GPU. The GF106 graphics processor will push NVIDIA deeper into the mainstream market segment, where it will be competing for graphics cards in the sub-$150 range. One of the first SKUs is the GeForce GTS 450.

The GeForce GTS 450 GPU will have 1 GB of GDDR5 memory across a 128-bit wide memory interface, according to sources close to DonanimHaber. There won't be a reference NVIDIA board as such, and board partners will be given full lease to design their own PCBs and coolers. The GeForce GTS 450 is expected to be released to the market by the end of August, 2010.

Too bad the technical problem with the latest Nvidia video cards is video memory. It's not enough. Some games require more than 1 GB of video memory (from the video card only) to get the maximum experience on some high-performance games such as Grand Theft Auto IV and Stranglehold. If using Vista or Win7, the turbocache for extra shared video memory may help but not the overall game experience to a game itself which relies heavily on the video card, not the system.

I have a low-end GeForce 220 video card with 1 GB DDR3 VRAM. When I played GTAIV under patch 1.06, I still weren't able to max all game settings because of the limit memory usage of the video card.

I wish these Nvidia cards are supposed to be holding at least 2 GB by now even on a single core. ATI still holds a high-end dual-core video card with 2GB video memory in it. And by now, I think 4GB video cards are already released on server and business PCs only.

Edited by purplescrin

You never put a video card in a ****ing server. It's not even close to necessary. Even workstation graphics cards aren't at the 4GB range. They're hovering between 1 and 2GB now though, but they have another purpose so comparing them to desktop graphics is a stupid comparison.

Even still, GPU memory from nVidia isn't lacking at all. In fact, the benchmarks from a single GTX460 1GB thoroughly handled the games and benchmarking tests thrown at it with no problems, and performed even better under SLI. I'm not sure where you get your information, but it's decidedly wrong.

Oh, and GTA4 on PC is a joke. Never been worth anyone's money. Ever.

The first post of the thread has been updated, so feel free to provide meaningful criticisms, comments and queries here.

Too bad the technical problem with the latest Nvidia video cards is video memory. It's not enough. Some games require more than 1 GB of video memory (from the video card only) to get the maximum experience on some high-performance games such as Grand Theft Auto IV and Stranglehold. If using Vista or Win7, the turbocache for extra shared video memory may help but not the overall game experience to a game itself which relies heavily on the video card, not the system.

I have a low-end GeForce 220 video card with 1 GB DDR3 VRAM. When I played GTAIV under patch 1.06, I still weren't able to max all game settings because of the limit memory usage of the video card.

I wish these Nvidia cards are supposed to be holding at least 2 GB by now even on a single core. ATI still holds a high-end dual-core video card with 2GB video memory in it. And by now, I think 4GB video cards are already released on server and business PCs only.

???

I have absolutely no idea I have just read. Did you just made that up?

First of all, don't expect using a low end card to expect it can work very well in a graphic intensive game. It's the GPU, not the memory.

What do you mean at least 2GB memory on a single core? What core?

There are 4GB GDDR5 memory graphic cards around and they are high end stuff such as the recent Asus Ares 5970. It's very pricey, and it's way overkill for users like yourself.

And what does it have to do with servers and business PCs?

???

Edited by Malevolence

First of all, don't expect using a low end card to expect it can work very well in a graphic intensive game. It's the GPU, not the memory.

Yeah, I know. The faster the GPU, the more memory it consumes less.

What do you mean at least 2GB memory on a single core? What core?

It's the GPU as a core.

The GPU core itself doesn't have memory. About that other thing you said... wtf are you talking about?

GF106 GPU Pictured, Measured in Size

In the run up for NVIDIA's September 12th launch of mainstream GeForce 400 series products, Chinese technology portal Zol.com.cn shared a picture of the company's GF106 graphics processor, which will be at the heart of several mainstream SKUs, including the talked about GeForce GTS 450. The first three desktop implementations of the GF106 are known to be the GeForce GTS 440, GTS 445, and GTS 450. Of these, the GTS 445 and GTS 440 will be launched first, with the GTS 450 launched just a little later.

The 40 nm GF106 GPU returns to a square package, with a die measuring around 240 mm², which makes it about 45% bigger than that of AMD's Juniper GPU, on which the company's ATI Radeon HD 5700 series is based on. Zol.com.cn suggested that the performance of the GTS 450 in DirectX 9/10 applications can be expected to be comparable to that of the GeForce GTX 260 (216 SP). After launching the GTS 450, NVIDIA will continue on its launch itinerary for the year with a value-segment GF108 GPU.

28ah.th.jpg 28bdl.th.jpg

http://forums.techpowerup.com/showthread.php?t=128041

World Exclusive Review: 512SP GeForce GTX 480

GTX480_512.jpg

Click Here to check out the entire review.

Edited by Malevolence

Where is the oversized heatsink that will take up half the case? :o I mean THAT is the most important part of hte whole card! :P

Where is the oversized heatsink that will take up half the case? :o I mean THAT is the most important part of hte whole card! :P

It's not just that. While the scores are amazing and seems appealing, this 512SP GTX 480 engineering sample showed that it consumed 640W and go as high as 94℃! :o :o :o

Damn! I can't imagine if you 4-way SLI this, I think you can create a sun out of the setup.

Yeah because everyone just has a few PSUs lying around. :P