nathancnc

Red Alert Buglist

Here is a list of all of the bugs I could dig up for Red alert 95. If you have any more, feel free to post them here.

• 8.5.1. The LST / Mine Layer "cheat"

To maintain backward compatibility with Red alert and Counterstrike it proved impractical to disable this cheat, so we're going to let everyone know about it so the playing field (if you like to cheat) is level. Simply explained, if you group any unit(s) slower than the LST or Mine Layer (for example) with an LST or Mine Layer, and make them a formation, all the units will move at the speed of the LST/Mine Layer! This works for all naval/ground units in the game. If you see a group of units moving at unusual speed, you know your opponent is cheating!

• Instruction memory error in Soviet Mission 6
  • Counterstrike Tesla Tanks' graphics should be changed to the actual Tesla Tank (from Aftermath)
  • Skrimish and Multiplay is only possible with Aftermath CD if Aftermath is installed
  • The second last Soviet Mission (with the Chronosphere) is sometimes impossible to win, even after all enemies are gone
  • The Missile Silo Icon has a wrong name: On the Icon for the Missile Silo stands: Missle Silo
  • Killa57's Errors
  • All Units and Turrets which have a weapon with a damage of 45 and higher and with the Warhead AP, don't have a visible Explosion if they shoot on buildings like the Construction Yard, Weapon Factory, Radar Dome or Helipad. If this is the case you simply cannot see the Explosion on these buildings
  • The General [GNRL] doesn't have his extra made voice if you choose the Russians, then he have the standard voice like the other Soldiers. He only has his right voice if you choose the Ukraine!!!
  • If you take a General [GNRL] and order him to go into an Chinook/Helitrans [trAN] the Helitrans will flight out of the map and both Units the General and the Helitrans disappear and they are no longer your Units. This could have something to do with a certain Mission´s Trigger
  • Rocket Soldiers, Flame Troops, and Grenadiers : When you force Grenadiers to Fire on the ground and just when their arms are up in the air you can give them order to fire across the whole map
  • When you repair a damaged Naval Unit in the Naval Yard or SubPen and when you order them to shoot somewhere out of their range of fire while they are getting repaired then while they are driving near to the place where you ordered them to shoot they get constantly repaired till their health is fully restored.
  • The SAM Site smoke animation played when firing is terribly displaced.
  • Sometimes if flamethrowers or flame towers shoot not on normal terrain like beaches or bridges, the terrain will turn into temperate or snow terrain.
  • In v3.03, when you play the Soviet Aftermath mission "Situation Critical", the submarines that you have in the beginning will all uncloak for no specific reason, making the mission difficult to play. This has been fixed by MrFibble.

Some more less tested bugs are below...

1. Rangebug applies to all Infantry types with any weapon!
  2. Small Infantry Patch: If you installed the Small Infantry Patch, then the flames from the Flamethrower Soldier are too high, because he is now smaller than before, but if you lower the flames, then they are too low for the Flametower...
  3. When you take a damaged Naval Unit very near to an enemy Naval Yard or Subpen and you select the Naval Unit while it is next to the enemy Naval Yard or Subpen and if you then click on your own Naval Yard or Subpen, then your Naval Unit gets repaired by an enemy Naval Yard or Subpen!!!
  4. Excessive use of memory, and therefore slow performance (pauses) in multiplayer, and choppy video and sound. The multiplayer may be helped by making sure the win95 system configuration is for desktop machine, not network server (server uses more caches that actually can slow RA), and the video/sound can be helped in some cases by reducing audio and CD-ROM cache (believe it or not, in re the read-ahead cache).

Also fix the "unable to read scenario" screen error when some modded or made maps (mission maps or skirmish maps) are unable to be loaded. That part leads to a game crash.

If that bug shall be fixed, that error should let you go back to the main menu if a map cannot be loaded due to issues that doesn't work ingame.

Is this everything from 'Sector Nathan? Ill start work on these now that i cant get any further with the high resolution area for now.

Is this everything from 'Sector Nathan? Ill start work on these now that i cant get any further with the high resolution area for now.

Hey Hyper here are the old two Threads from CnC Sector ;)

There you can find all old Bugs.

Command___Patch___CnC_Sector.rar

And here are more new Bugs i discovered...

1. If you order Dogs to attack enemy Infantry, they will stop to run after a few seconds and then just walk further to the enemy. They should run til they have killed the enemy Infantry like on PSX Version.

And this Problem dont only seem to apply to dogs ... other Units sometimes just stop for no reason, although you ordered them to destroy an enemy unit or building by clicking on them :-(

2. When you play Interior Maps, then there are no graphical effects for Infantrydeaths by Teslaweapons.

3. The Helitrans General Bug: If you modded the game and have a General and Helitrans, then the Helitrans will flight out of the map when you put the general into the Helitrans.

This issue also applies for Delphi, Chan and Einstein! It is intention in Missions but in (modded) skirmish games it should be disabled.

4. If you turned on the RA Music in the game and return to Windows via your Windows keys and go back then sometimes the music volume is lowered and you have to make it louder again.

5. If Rockets get shot and fly out of the map, the game will crash!

6. When ore is completely harvested around an Oremine and when it grows again, then it not grows around the Oremine, it will grow one field below it!

post-7262-1283888685_thumb.png

Edited by Bullet

I think 1. was done to prevent players from targetting far away enemy units to make the dogs run to the enemy base faster. They're sprinters, not marathon runners.

This dogs can just sprint very shortly, so this should be extended. On the PSX Version the dogs sprint until they have killed their target or if themselves have been killed.

And for all other Units: If you order them to attack something, then they never should suddenly abort the order. They should do what you tell them :-)

This is just annoying and for some people its a reason to NOT play Red Alert because your Units do their own thing...

Edited by Bullet

Another thing Hyper could change is the fact that you only can enable CTF Mode in Skirmish with the Rules.ini.

In LAN Mode and in Online Mode in 3.03 theres a button for CTF Mode and in Skirmish not.

Another button which is neither in Skirmish nor in LAN Mode is the Slow Unit Build Button.

This Button is only in the 3.03 Online Mode...

Maybe Hyper could enable all buttons (CTF and Slow Unit Build) for all Modes (Skirmish/LAN/Online).

More things to fix :-)

1. When Nukes dont hit anything, then you dont hear them!

2. Airplanes and Helicopters dont show up on the Radar and you cant attack Airplanes and Helicopters while they are in the air.

3. Sometimes the game crashes when you go low on power and the radar goes offline.

4. When the Iron Curtain is charging/discharging the great Animations in iron.shp are not used :-(

Edited by Bullet

Someone reported this on the official boards, and claims it's reproducible. I haven't got time to test it myself though

Hi,

In the 6th Soviet mission (SCU06EA.INI), there is an allied base in the top left of the map. It seems that if you destroy any of the chain-link fence along the very top edge of the map, the game completely crashes. Methods of destruction known to work are crushing the fence with a tracked(?) vehicle (you hear the crushing sound before it hangs), or blowing it up.

Usually I am unable to get a message dialog, and have to kill the process through task manager, but I somehow got the crash details once which more or less said:

Instruction at 004a0219 referencing memory at 036ce8a4 caused an illegal operation.

I haven't done much testing, so I am not sure if a crash can be triggered by any fence placed on a map boundary, or if there is something special about that mission. But certainly doing anything to the that section of fence in my installation here results in a crash.

I am using V3.03ECSAM (So the version shipped with first decade, plus the 1.03 patch).

My system:

Windows XP Professional (SP 3)

Pentium 4 (3.20GHz), 2GB RAM

NVidia GeForce 6600 GT

Given the age of the game and the fact that we don't have the source, I doubt much can be done about it. But with the wonders you people have done with the patch, I thought you might have a solution or work-around.

Thanks in advance.

Nyer, i replyed to that topic: http://forums.commandandconquer.com/jforum...450.page#713794

Another thing Hyper could change is the fact that you only can enable CTF Mode in Skirmish with the Rules.ini.

In LAN Mode and in Online Mode in 3.03 theres a button for CTF Mode and in Skirmish not.

Another button which is neither in Skirmish nor in LAN Mode is the Slow Unit Build Button.

This Button is only in the 3.03 Online Mode...

Maybe Hyper could enable all buttons (CTF and Slow Unit Build) for all Modes (Skirmish/LAN/Online).

This is easily done, noted!

More things to fix :-)

1. When Nukes dont hit anything, then you dont hear them!

2. Airplanes and Helicopters dont show up on the Radar and you cant attack Airplanes and Helicopters while they are in the air.

3. Sometimes the game crashes when you go low on power and the radar goes offline.

4. When the Iron Curtain is charging/discharging the great Animations in iron.shp are not used :-(

1. Not too sure, but i can check it.

2. Radar drawing is something i dont feel like working with, trust me :P

3. I does? Get me information, like the address the crash box prints.

4. Are they not? I think i heard that the Chronosphere does not eather?

Chronosphere is worse; it uses the Charged animation as damaged anim instead :P

Chronosphere is worse; it uses the Charged animation as damaged anim instead :P

I've always assumed that those animations of the Chronosphere and the Iron Curtain were not for the "charged" state, but for the "action" state, intended to be played when the respective superweapons are actually used. If that is the case, no wonder those got disabled, as the superweapon structures themselves are very likely to be off-screen when they are used (especially the Chronosphere). As for the preference of the charged/action animation used as a damaged animation for the Chronosphere, there's some logic behind that because it implies that the damaged Chronosphere becomes unstable. However, a simple edit of the Chronosphere SHP will restore the original damaged animation if you want to :)

BTW, anyone remember that some civilian structures have a frame with lights in the windows as the damaged animation? Apparently, the developers intended for these buildings to be able to turn the lights on or off (perhaps through the settings in the mission files), because the damaged frames for both versions (with and without lights) exist in the SHPs but are not used. This was probably too complicated to pull off, and the simple workaround the devs have come up with was to just place half-damaged buildings of this kind on the map to have the lights on.

2. When you play Interior Maps, then there are no graphical effects for Infantrydeaths by Teslaweapons.

I remember I tried to fix that by using copies of the respective animations from the temperate tileset (renamed to have the appropriate interior tileset extensions), but I think the game would crash at some point. I'm not 100% sure it was not a coincidence, but there was at least one crash when I did that. I forgot if I put the new animations into any of the EXPAND.MIX files or in the INTERIOR.MIX file though.

Also, I dunno if the following was fixed or not. Generally, if you start a mission in RA1 (any version), the track that plays is always "Bigfoot", no matter what side you're playing (it's a Soviet-only track). However, in v3.03 "Bigfoot" will also play whenever you load a mission, although previously, the game would just restart the track that was playing right before the mission was loaded. Kinda annoying.

BTW, I think all of you remember that the Counterstrike track "Arazoid" does not play in the game because it's filename was misspelled in the SCORES.MIX?

Oh, and is it me, or did the scorch mark fix for the winter terrain that I made somehow get lost during the transition to the new forum?

Oh, and is it me, or did the scorch mark fix for the winter terrain that I made somehow get lost during the transition to the new forum?

Hm, well, I added that to my patch 3.03 installer.

True, true. Likewise, I also don't really consider the submarine uncloak bug "solved" just because you fixed the Situation Critical mission; the logic simply shouldn't be enabled in single play.

True, true. Likewise, I also don't really consider the submarine uncloak bug "solved" just because you fixed the Situation Critical mission; the logic simply shouldn't be enabled in single play.

Yeah, it isn't as much a solution as it is a workaround... Just like it is with the flamethrower animation offset thingy.

One more thing that I think was not mentioned before, it ain't a bug in the proper sense of the word, but an easily fixable screw-up. In one of the Allied Counterstrike missions, namely Siberian Conflict: Wasteland, there is no music at the start, because for some unknown reason in this mission's INI file the usually unused Theme= parameter is set to RADIO2, which is a Soviet-only track.

why the heck didn't you just save the image as png and attach it without zipping???

After some pondering I've come to the conclusion that perhaps I've been too pedantic with the flame-thrower infantry firing animation offset. The animation itself isn't the best of things (and obviously inferior to the C&C flame jet animation), so I think it's not that important after all. The SAM site smoke animation, on the other hand, is obviously displaced (not to mention it being an exact copy of the C&C SAM firing animation, and the SAM site base that is seen through the smoke cloud does not match the one used in RA).

haha yes, that's quite awful :P

I've also noticed another thing: the target flash is never shown on civilian units and structures. Dunno if it's a bug or simply an omission. It's not as noticeable when you attack anything, but when you use C4, it is, because the flash indicates both that the structure is targeted and that the C4 is placed.

Another Problem is that SC-XXX.mix Mod archive files have not the highest priority but they should have the highest priority because modding happens after patching and after installing the Addons!!

Edited by Bullet

Heh, yeah... that's an issue I fixed in C&C95, at least.

btw, it's "sc*.mix". There is no fixed format for these mixfiles besides them starting with "sc" and ending on ".mix". They don't have to be "sc", "-", 3 numbers, ".mix" at all. A file called "scorpion.mix" would also be read by it.

On a related note, there's also "ss*.mix" files. They got a slightly different effect though :P