Nyerguds

1.06c development topic

What dubs of the Spanish language? I don't have dubbed videos of the Spanish language. WW never released C&C1 in Spanish, so there are no Spanish dubs of the videos.

I am planning to add a "default language" key into the next release though, so people can use partial translation packs like Japanese but (for example) still have German text under it.

At this moment, that default language is always English, meaning the Spanish language gets the English videos.

I think the text blitters work over the VQ layer, but hooking them into the playback loop would be a nightmare. I worked on copying this into TS, from RA2, but never finished it.

I would suggest to just to put text in the videos and re encode them.

I know, problem is mostly that VQA is quite lossy; re-encoding creates a very noticeable decrease in quality. I do want to put some research into these subs, but I don't know how to put text on the screen in general.

What dubs of the Spanish language? I don't have dubbed videos of the Spanish language. WW never released C&C1 in Spanish, so there are no Spanish dubs of the videos.

sorry, blame my bad English, confused between subs and dubs :(

really want to insert subtitles in Spanish to the videos, but it is difficult to understand the pronunciation, although I wish I had the dialogues were in French XD.

I know you do not need to play, but what I like about the C & c is the plot, and language is a strong obstacle :P

If I add a Primary Language setting, then you can have French videos and Spanish text :P

[edit]

Hm, well, I do have a full set of Spanish subtitles... I just never made the subtitles system to use them. I think Zenix made them too.

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/junk/requests/Spanish%20subtitles%20and%20frame%20numbers.docx

There's a few errors in them though. But not many.

If I add a Primary Language setting, then you can have French videos and Spanish text :P

[edit]

Hm, well, I do have a full set of Spanish subtitles... I just never made the subtitles system to use them. I think Zenix made them too.

http://nyerguds.arsa...me numbers.docx

There's a few errors in them though. But not many.

i have reviewed and are generally good.

i have a question, ¿how u decoder the Vqa files?, ¿how u edit them?

i have reviewed and are generally good.

His translation of "forestall" was wrong. He indicated he wasn't sure of it though.

i have a question, ¿how u decoder the Vqa files?, ¿how u edit them?

You can't "edit" VQA videos; you can only decode them to frames and audio, and re-encode those to VQA after editing them.

I have a Windows decoder plugin to view them, and an encoder to create them.

I normally use XCC Mixer (go to "Utilities" -> "XCC Utilities") to convert a videos to frames & audio by copying the VQA as PCX frames and WAV audio.
(it might be easier to copy the frames as PNG, edit those, and then use XCC again to copy them all to PCX for the VQA encoder)

Make sure that when you edit them, they keep their original colour palette though. Otherwise, you'll get an incredible decrease in video quality. I don't really think there are many video editors out there that can do that though.

-------------------

Personally, in this case, I'd use xcc to convert it to png frames, use RAD Video Tools to convert those to an uncompressed AVI, edit that with whatever video tool you got, save your video again as 100% uncompressed avi, and then use RAD tools again to convert that to 256-colour PCX, either reducing to 255 colours starting at index 1 (so index 0 is definitely kept black - this is necessary because it's the background colour used around the video), or using the palette from one of the originally converted frames (though note that this may screw up the subtitle colours a bit)

The main problem is usually long videos that have scene switches in them, since they sometimes switch to a different colour palette at the point of the scene switch. If you don't do this when reconverting the frames, the colour palette of al scenes suddenly has to contain colours for all of the different scenes, which drastically reduces the quality of the entire video.

I got another very handy tool in that aspect, btw, to copy or move numbered frames from one range to another:
http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/tools/rename_copy_tool_1.1.rar

His translation of "forestall" was wrong. He indicated he wasn't sure of it though.

You can't "edit" VQA videos; you can only decode them to frames and audio, and re-encode those to VQA after editing them.

I have a Windows decoder plugin to view them, and an encoder to create them.

I normally use XCC Mixer (go to "Utilities" -> "XCC Utilities") to convert a videos to frames & audio by copying the VQA as PCX frames and WAV audio.

(it might be easier to copy the frames as PNG, edit those, and then use XCC again to copy them all to PCX for the VQA encoder)

Make sure that when you edit them, they keep their original colour palette though. Otherwise, you'll get an incredible decrease in video quality. I don't really think there are many video editors out there that can do that though.

-------------------

Personally, in this case, I'd use xcc to convert it to png frames, use RAD Video Tools to convert those to an uncompressed AVI, edit that with whatever video tool you got, save your video again as 100% uncompressed avi, and then use RAD tools again to convert that to 256-colour PCX, either reducing to 255 colours starting at index 1 (so index 0 is definitely kept black - this is necessary because it's the background colour used around the video), or using the palette from one of the originally converted frames (though note that this may screw up the subtitle colours a bit)

The main problem is usually long videos that have scene switches in them, since they sometimes switch to a different colour palette at the point of the scene switch. If you don't do this when reconverting the frames, the colour palette of al scenes suddenly has to contain colours for all of the different scenes, which drastically reduces the quality of the entire video.

I got another very handy tool in that aspect, btw, to copy or move numbered frames from one range to another:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/tools/rename_copy_tool_1.1.rar

excuse my ignorance, I have the XCC and the rad video tools, but having tools like ffmpeg so fast that they do everything with one simple command I have not deepened xcc or rad. So that problem is not there to simply make and ready?. The ffmpeg has several options for the conversion and allows a wide variety of formats. I converted a vqa video to avi and i dont see any loss of quality.

Is really necessary change the colors of the palette?

Change? I don't know any avi format that KEEPS them. VQA is a 256-colour format. Raw avi is high colour. You lose the original colour palette right away, with the first conversion.

ffmpeg does indeed support VQA, but what format are you converting TO? Unless you convert to raw avi, any compression data loss will become VERY visible after a few conversions.

Also, the VQA encoder only accepts pcx, tga or bmp frames for conversion to C&C1 VQA. And they have to be 256-colour. As far as I know it doesn't accept AVIs for C&C1-type videos. Since they're always high-colour.

Change? I don't know any avi format that KEEPS them. VQA is a 256-colour format. Raw avi is high colour. You lose the original colour palette right away, with the first conversion.

ffmpeg does indeed support VQA, but what format are you converting TO? Unless you convert to raw avi, any compression data loss will become VERY visible after a few conversions.

Also, the VQA encoder only accepts pcx, tga or bmp frames for conversion to C&C1 VQA. And they have to be 256-colour. As far as I know it doesn't accept AVIs for C&C1-type videos. Since they're always high-colour.

here any way to add captions to VQA without converting?

Well as I said, I was looking into an ini-based subtitle format... but I need more information on putting text on the screen in the game to make this work.

But for the VQA method, yeah, it's a whole mess. You can either

-convert to avi, edit the avi, convert to paletted frames, convert back to VQA.

or

-convert to frames, find and use some tool that can paste the subtitles on entire ranges of frames, convert back to VQA.

Hi Nyer,

first of all, let me say a big thanks and respect for what have you done this far with this undying classic, it is remarkable ! :thumbsup:

And, I have some suggestions for further enhancing the game, of course, if they are even possible to implement...so...

It is possible to:

1. When commando destroy building witch C-4, no soldiers will come out as was it, for example, in Tiberian Sun with Ghost Stalker .

2. Add unit queue production feature to sidebar.

3. Add rally points of production buildings: barracks, aistrip, etc.

Thank you very much in advance for any response and keep an eye on great work ! ;)

I should've replied to this ages ago, but I'm kinda single-minded sometimes... sorry :P

1. I guess I could do that; I know where the infantry spawn functions are, but I'm not sure where to see that a building is destroyed by C4. Would take some research. However, I think this would seriously change game balance, especially in multiplayer. The spawned infantry are about the only thing keeping the commando from removing entire chunks of a base.

2. Not really sure how I'd do that, sorry...

3. At this moment I don't even know how to determine how to ALLOW a building to spawn units... no less determine where they GO, or make that customizable from the UI.

-convert to frames, find and use some tool that can paste the subtitles on entire ranges of frames, convert back to VQA.

Well, I've given this a try by using IrfanView's bulk watermarking method, and it's quite some work, but it works. Since there was no way to make this produce original-palette frames, I later used RAD tools to correct the palette of the entire series of frames again. This worked pretty well.

I'm still looking at the possibilities of this though; trying some stuff with the font size, expanding the videos to 320x200 to have more space for the subtitles, etc.

Found quite some more errors in the subtitles file though. That location in GDI mission 1 is "X:16 Y:42".

Sure, but I'll probably need some help with correcting these subs though. I can spot errors, but that doesn't mean I can correct them, since I don't know Spanish.

Sure, but I'll probably need some help with correcting these subs though. I can spot errors, but that doesn't mean I can correct them, since I don't know Spanish.

I will review the texts in Spanish, and has corrected the errors.

the only problem is I do not see major errors, I corrected some issues of interpretation, but none that change things radically. What kind of problems have you encountered?

GDI1: the coordinates are "X:16 Y:42"

Nod10a: ("forestall" means "avoid, prevent". He got it wrong.)

Nod13: 145-199: (Kane) "Two GDI bases lie on ground I have chosen to be the cradle of my Temple of Nod."

Sethpre" 412-524: (EVA) The Brotherhood springs from the lowest of places, offering unity and peace to otherwise neglected and abused nations.

Intro2.vqa: 24-120 "The grain trade center in Vienna was the seventeenth urban bombing in four weeks blamed on Nod terrorists."

(it's not Indiana, and no grand trade center)

250-274: "At least your mother tips well!"

(as in, giving large money tips to waiters and such)

361-408: "Harsh, unforgiving wilderness"

820-938: end part: "On the domestic side..."

1195-1269: "(Moebius, dis)coverer of tiberium, ignored reporters at Hong Kong second World Tiberium Economic Impacts summit."

(this part wasn't correctly translated because the first part is cut off in the video)

1330-1458: "$perry Financial Network"

("$perry" should be kept like that since it's a reference to game designer Brett Sperry.)

1610-1666: (probably correct, but just to make it clear: WWN is the network (like "WorldWide News") he works for.)

1771-1810: (probably correct, but this is the same as in the first GDI briefing, so it's odd that it's translated differently here)

GDI1: the coordinates are "X:16 Y:42"

Nod10a: ("forestall" means "avoid, prevent". He got it wrong.)

Nod13: 145-199: (Kane) "Two GDI bases lie on ground I have chosen to be the cradle of my Temple of Nod."

Sethpre" 412-524: (EVA) The Brotherhood springs from the lowest of places, offering unity and peace to otherwise neglected and abused nations.

Intro2.vqa: 24-120 "The grain trade center in Vienna was the seventeenth urban bombing in four weeks blamed on Nod terrorists."

(it's not Indiana, and no grand trade center)

250-274: "At least your mother tips well!"

(as in, giving large money tips to waiters and such)

361-408: "Harsh, unforgiving wilderness"

820-938: end part: "On the domestic side..."

1195-1269: "(Moebius, dis)coverer of tiberium, ignored reporters at Hong Kong second World Tiberium Economic Impacts summit."

(this part wasn't correctly translated because the first part is cut off in the video)

1330-1458: "$perry Financial Network"

("$perry" should be kept like that since it's a reference to game designer Brett Sperry.)

1610-1666: (probably correct, but just to make it clear: WWN is the network (like "WorldWide News") he works for.)

1771-1810: (probably correct, but this is the same as in the first GDI briefing, so it's odd that it's translated differently here)

yes, check all nod missions and curiously the same mistakes corrected, but still thanks clarify other that are difficult to understand how the trade center's grand, because I also understood that grain and had no logic.

I dont understand: "At least your mother tips well!" is it like "at least your mother pays better"?

"on the domestic side..." what means that? cause in spanish means: domestic = homely or domestic=national.

the others mistakes has been corrected.

I see that lack the translation of GDI5, GDI8a, GDI8B, GDI9, GDI11, GDI13, GDI15.

I do not know if missing the translation of other videos, if so I hope you can provide me with the dialogues in English, so I can translate them without fear of contradiction, with this I think no problem to start inserting the subs.

Hmm... maybe I was wrong about the domestic thing. You're right, it probably refers to stuff in the home country. So I guess it's OK.

I can give you the dialogues, sure, once I got some more time I'll write them down.

Hmm... maybe I was wrong about the domestic thing. You're right, it probably refers to stuff in the home country. So I guess it's OK.

I can give you the dialogues, sure, once I got some more time I'll write them down.

take all the time that u need.

just one thing more, what do you say about:

I dont understand: "At least your mother tips well!" is it like "at least your mother pays better"?

Well, it's probably about some typical soap-opera misunderstanding where the mother mistook her daughter's boyfriend for the pizza delivery guy or stripper or something, and gave him a tip :P

There's still a difference between paying well and giving big tips though.

Well, it's probably about some typical soap-opera misunderstanding where the mother mistook her daughter's boyfriend for the pizza delivery guy or stripper or something, and gave him a tip :P

There's still a difference between paying well and giving big tips though.

Well, I think the idea is kept, or not?

which resembles more to the idea:

"At least your mother pays better

"At least your mother paid me a tip"

I think "At least your mother paid me a tip" would work perfectly :D

I think "At least your mother paid me a tip" would work perfectly :D

Okidoki.

Well then I think for now only have to wait till you get time, I'll watch for when you have the English dialogue is missing, also thanks for all, you're a genius!

I know I've talked about this before but, it seems that the only problem with C&C95 multiplayer seems to be the tiberium. It always runs out and it takes forever for the blossom tree to regrow it.

Is there any way to possibly increase the speed of tiberium regrowth?

Edited by godly-cheese

There is a beta option, "overrun", that, according to its description, makes tiberium grow faster. Unfortunately, in reality, its only effect seems to be that it completely disables the spawning of new cells of tiberium. I could look at where that option has effect though, and see if I could fix it...

It's possible that this option is shared on game start, btw, so maybe I could make it into a game host option. But that needs testing. There's a hidden menu to change it during gameplay too, but I'm not enabling that, since there are too many beta options on it, and anyone would be able to change any of them at will during gameplay.

Awesome. If you do decide to implement this, hit me up. I'm willing to test as always. ;)