Nyerguds

1.06c development topic

Well, I don't know if I'll have time to get to the bottom of the entire tiberium growth system any time soon.

i picked up C&C last decade and i installed the first 2 official patches then i installed your 1.06c patch.....did i need to install the 1.03-04 patch i just saw on these forums????

i picked up C&C last decade and i installed the first 2 official patches then i installed your 1.06c patch.....did i need to install the 1.03-04 patch i just saw on these forums????

Nope. You're good to go.

Remember to install 1.06c with its hotfix too.

Well, for Red Alert 1, the RA 3.03 patch can't hurt.

Frankly, I think it's amazing you found the official patches. EA didn't bother to keep them uploaded.

Hey, Nyer, IDK if it is so insane to ask but...

There's a way to make LAN games pausable? or if not, Slow like an orca can move one cell per hour? :P

Hey, Nyer, IDK if it is so insane to ask but...

There's a way to make LAN games pausable? or if not, Slow like an orca can move one cell per hour? :P

Nope, won't work.

Nope, won't work.

So, NYERGUDS... :P

this post is only for fun porpouses! Kidding cheese

Pausing LAN games? The problem is that this pause status has to be transmitted to all other players so the player doesn't simply appear unresponsive. But as I said before, I got no idea how to make it send new information over the network.

Drawbacks to this are the fact that just changing your music or something would pause the game for all players... Warcraft II's Battle.Net edition actually added a Pause button to the UI for that purpose, right next to the menu button.

...maybe I can make it toggle the Combat option. From what I've seen it was meant to toggle the behaviour of making infantry run away automatically when they were threatened to get crushed, but so far I haven't seen any difference in that aspect. However, the game already contains a logic to change that on all players' machines during a multiplayer game. That info might be worth looking into... I could recycle it as a "pause" status that anyone can enable or disable. I could even look into adding that extra button on the UI...

When I got some time I'll rig up that special options window to the R button again (like I did for that screenshot) and test it with Cheese.

Woah woah woah, hold on.

Where did you find the special options?

That looks totally BADASS! :P

How would that work in a multi-player game anyway? Would it only be available to the host of the game?

Besides, the R key is my rage quiting method, [R + Enter] is total win!

it's just the same thing as the special options in conquer.ini, which I eventually moved into rules.ini

Hyper found that menu a while ago. It's called in exactly the same way as the Resign hotkey, only with a different value. Changing the value that's stored by pressing the 'r' key to the one of this hidden frame (it's something really simple, changing it from "2" to "3" IIRC) means you get that instead of the resign box when you press 'r'.

And I just meant enabling it on my side anyway. In single play, using this gave a "[player name] has changed the game settings" message, so all I need to do is enable it for me, change some setting and see if you get that message.

(you kinda see it in the pic, behind the box; seeing as I'm playing with a non-multi-team, without a handle set, it defaulted to "Computer")

If you get the message, then I can adapt that code to pause the game instead. After figuring out how pausing works, that is. And making sure it happens in a way the multiplayer game keeps sending packets, so it can receive the unpause status, and doesn't just time out :P

1. I guess I could do that; I know where the infantry spawn functions are, but I'm not sure where to see that a building is destroyed by C4. Would take some research. However, I think this would seriously change game balance, especially in multiplayer. The spawned infantry are about the only thing keeping the commando from removing entire chunks of a base.

I've thought about this issue before, and somehow I think that if the logic were changed to disable the chances of infantry being spawned when the Commando blows up a structure, it would no longer be the same thing (aside from really affecting the balance). I wonder why the devs chose to make this change for RA1 and TS, where there are medics that can heal Tanya/Ghost Stalker (the latter having the additional bonus of regenerating in Tiberium), thus making the inevitable damage that occurs to the commando unit if the target structure spawns soldiers much less harmful. Some Tanya missions in RA1 are a real breeze because of that.

well even if I were to add it, it'd still be a rules.ini option that's disabled by default :P

BTW Nyer, I think that you mentioned once that not only the Commando's "You got it!" voice clip is different in the DOS version, but other sounds as well. Is it true, or does my memory play tricks on me?

Download Link broken, Your website is buggy, it says we does not have permission to acess the directory.

pic... I KNOW, SHEESH! Stop bothering me about the bloody website -_-

MrFlibble: Well yeah, a lot of sounds were shortened in the W95 version, like rocket launching sounds and such, but some got some nasty cracks at the end. I should test em all out and filter out which ones to use.

Nyer, I remember that in the old C&P thread (under GameSector) you posted some detailed info on things like how you found the original SAM site firing sound and why it was disabled, and that kind of stuff. The patch readme file just states that certain issues were fixed, without any back-story so to speak. Otherwise, such information is scattered throughout your posts, and I think that it would be nice to have some place where the more detailed information on what was missing in C&C, what the devs intended to do but never completed (until you fixed it - or maybe not yet :)), and stuff like that, maybe plus a more deep background on how the game works in general.

Oh, and by the way, I think you mentioned somewhere that the "Untamed Land" track would only play in the Funpark missions in DOS C&C, while in the original release of C&C95, it's on the list with all the regular tracks. However, I've recently checked with DOS v1.22p, and "Untamed Land" is present on the soundtrack list. Did they change this in the later versions of C&C?

I think they changed it in version 1.20, actually. Before that, the track was hidden, but with the addition of the dino missions they also added it to the playlist.

It was marked as both "don't show in playlist" and "has remix". An odd side effect of this is that the theme (even the normal AUD) became visible when remixes were enabled, even if there was no .VAR remix file.

However, for this system to work correctly it had to contain an exception to never show the the score music, which had exactly the same configuration. This was especially necessary since tracks marked as "looping music" internally (used for the map and score music) would simply cause the playlist to never continue once it started playing that one.

I removed that logic my patch, when getting rid of all exceptions related to the music. Enabling remixes will no longer show music in the playlist which is normally hidden but has the "Has Remix" flag enabled. Music that's set not to show on the playlist now never appears in the playlist, no matter what. It can of course be played at mission start by setting it in the theme= setting in the ini file, and used as map or menu theme by setting it in rules.ini.

Also, the looping for menu and map themes is no longer a track-specific option, but rather a global option enabled whenever a menu or map screen is loaded, and disabled whenever you go into game mode, meaning any theme can be used as main menu theme and will loop, and a main menu or score theme can be put in the normal playlist without looping there.

btw, I have pdf backups of the pages of the dev thread on the GameSector forum... I uploaded them here:

http://nyerguds.arsaneus-design.com/cnc95upd/cc95p106/info/

Hmm, I just noticed that in the patch readme, you give me credit for "some fixed unit graphics", something which I didn't do (unless the animated shadow for the working Const. Yard counts), but you forgot to mention that I made the German icons pack, as well as the icon templates from which you made the French icons.

Haha, I guess I counted icons as "unit graphics". It's technically correct. But yeah, I'll fix it in the next update :P

Heh, thanks :) But they also have text on them (not entirely unlike a certain leftover sprite of an aerial C&C unit that can be found in RA1 CONQUER.MIX ;)

lol, next step: animated icons? XD

That would be quite cool Actually :D

I thought so too, and then I realized how annoying the movement would be in your peripheral vision.