Nyerguds

1.06c development topic

if the clockwise status already pay my attention, and about an animated icons? :P

( [on the subject] Do the "flashing" light pixels work in the sidebar, ive never tryed that)

They can't be disabled in any (ingame, battlefield view) situation. I've often had to fix icons that accidentally used the water colours or the flashing white used for the "ready" text on icons.

They can't be disabled in any (ingame, battlefield view) situation. I've often had to fix icons that accidentally used the water colours or the flashing white used for the "ready" text on icons.

sorry to go slightly off topic. But i'm running Windows 7 x64, installed your standalone installer, installed 1.06crc1, and the hotfix and can't get the game to work. I have tried it with just the stand alone, then each patch individually. With and without no-cd (i have the iso mounted). All i get is a black screen, and the music. I can interact with the interface i think, but can't see anything. One time when alt-tabbing i saw a flash of the GUI for a second, but couldn't duplicate it. Any ideas?

If there are any error messages, please post them in a reply. You may want to try updating your video drivers.

Edited by godly-cheese

Do you happen to have a a laptop with an odd resolution? 1.06c normally sets the game to run in 1024x768 (which can be changed in ccsetup.exe), but if you got an odd laptop widescreen resolution of 1024x600 or something like that you'll have to adapt the HiresHeight= key in conquer.ini to run the game correctly.

You could also try cnc-draw, see if that fixes it.

http://www.cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1087.0

(it can be set to NOT run in window, btw, by editing the ddraw.ini it creates after the first run)

Do you happen to have a a laptop with an odd resolution? 1.06c normally sets the game to run in 1024x768 (which can be changed in ccsetup.exe), but if you got an odd laptop widescreen resolution of 1024x600 or something like that you'll have to adapt the HiresHeight= key in conquer.ini to run the game correctly.

You could also try cnc-draw, see if that fixes it.

http://www.cnc-comm.com/community/index.php?topic=1087.0

(it can be set to NOT run in window, btw, by editing the ddraw.ini it creates after the first run)

It's a new laptop (got it tuesday Toshiba A665D-S6082), it's original resolution is 1366x768. I tried setting it to 1024x768 to see if that helped, no luck. I had written my post and then tried to play starcraft only to get the same issue. Which is when i realized its probably a display driver. So i got the latest one from Toshiba but it hasn't helped. The drivers from AMD don't work so I had to use the customized ones. I'll try that cncdraw though.

It's a new laptop (got it tuesday Toshiba A665D-S6082), it's original resolution is 1366x768. I tried setting it to 1024x768 to see if that helped, no luck. I had written my post and then tried to play starcraft only to get the same issue. Which is when i realized its probably a display driver. So i got the latest one from Toshiba but it hasn't helped. The drivers from AMD don't work so I had to use the customized ones. I'll try that cncdraw though.

cncdraw seems to fix the issue, although i cant change the resolution of the window (it's too tall). But it's better than nothing! Thanks

cncdraw seems to fix the issue, although i cant change the resolution of the window (it's too tall). But it's better than nothing! Thanks

you forget to post the link xD

http://hifi.iki.fi/cnc-ddraw/

you can also change the resolution in ccsetup for 640x480 pixels...

[edit]

Lol, now i see, the link was posted...

Edited by Nyerguds

I linked to the news... he just posted back to confirm it worked :P

coursevector: setting the game size to 640x480 might be handier then. Alternately, you could see if there are settings in your video driver about centering 1024x768 in the 1366x768 frame.

Another option is to stretch the whole thing to full screen... but that takes some work:

-Set the game resolution to 1024x768 with ccsetup.exe

-Edit conquer.ini and set "HiresHeight" to 576

-Open ddraw.ini, set "windowed" to false, width to 1366 and height to 768

You'll now have a perfectly playable full screen hires C&C, with just a bit cut off the bottom of the screen compared to normal 1024x768.

(see, 1024x768 translates to 1366x1024. So to keep it from stretching oddly, it has to be reduced to the equivalent of 1366x768, which is 1024x576. And that is then stretched to 1366x768 by CnC-ddraw :) )

If you notice it's too blocky or blurry, you could try switching the "filter" option in ddraw.ini between 'nearest' and 'linear'. I think in this case 'linear' is probably better though.

Note that the main menu will be slightly cut off by doing this, but don't mind that ;)

(To have the correct original DOS aspect ratio the HiresHeight should be 480 in this case, but unfortunately the code creating the black borders on 640x480 messes that up completely, since it only checks if the hight is "480" without double-checking the width)

Nyer, may I ask about the other language packs included in the patch? It is my understanding that besides the Japanese speech that comes from console versions, other languages (at least, French and German) come from official localizations, right? On the other hand, you mention in the changelist that some speech files in German and French were added or replaced (using voices from TS I suppose). Many unit responses seem to be duplicates, and it seems there were originally no voices for the civilians in French and German, like in RA1. BTW, are the "robot" sound replacements for infantry screams and crush sound in the censored German version identical to those in RA1, or different?

Also, I remember that the German version of Sega Mega Drive Dune: The Battle for Arrakis is different from the German version of PC Dune II; were there any such differences between non-English PC versions of C&C and its console ports?

Oh, and Happy Birthday! ^_^ (There seems to be no "party hat" smiley here, but :dance: and :headrock: and :beer: should probably make up for it :D)

Happy birthday Nyer! :)

My birthday is in 2 more days. :(

Thanks guys :)

Nyer, may I ask about the other language packs included in the patch? It is my understanding that besides the Japanese speech that comes from console versions, other languages (at least, French and German) come from official localizations, right? On the other hand, you mention in the changelist that some speech files in German and French were added or replaced (using voices from TS I suppose). Many unit responses seem to be duplicates, and it seems there were originally no voices for the civilians in French and German, like in RA1. BTW, are the "robot" sound replacements for infantry screams and crush sound in the censored German version identical to those in RA1, or different?

Ehh... I never added anything from other games into C&C. The things I changed in the German EVA was adding the missing "battle control terminated" voice, and replaced the "unit ready" sound, which was originally just a copy of "construction complete". Both of the new sound clips were made (as usual) by copying and pasting clips from the rest of the EVA sounds.

The German and French civilians (both girl and guy) all use copies of their language's Moebius voice set. I didn't change this. Death sounds are now global in sounds.mix, and no longer language-dependent, so all languages use the normal death screams. If any language were to override those the clips would probably need to be in the language mixfile itself.

I haven't heard the censored RA1 clips in a long time... no idea if they're the same.

Ehh... I never added anything from other games into C&C.

Oh, I thought you mentioned somewhere that the Spanish version was made using the voice clips from TS...

The German and French civilians (both girl and guy) all use copies of their language's Moebius voice set. I didn't change this.

Well, I just thought that the civilian voices were missing altogether, just like in the German version of RA1, but judging from the fact that the RA1 demo also does not include civilian voices, and that the German SOUNDS.MIX has some obsolete sound effects files that aren't even found in the English version, I guess they just used an older version of the file in the German version of RA1, where the civilian voices were replaced with blanks.

The Spanish one is indeed made from TS clips. And being an unofficial translation, it is also no longer part of the game in 1.06c. It has to be installed separately, with the installer I added to the site.

Featrue request:

Hey while I know that you will stick close to the original feeling of C&C95 which I completely support btw. I think there could be 1 additional feature that would make the game even more interesting and it would have no effect on the gameplay at all.

Remember in Red Alert 1 & 2 in some maps started really small. But when you archived specific objects a voice told you

New Terranian discovered.

I would wish me the exact same feature for your game as optional setting for the mappers.

It could be very interesting in creating different missions in just 1 huge map. While it is also possible without that to do it it's still a lot harder to construct maps like that.

It could be very interesting in creating different missions in just 1 huge map. While it is also possible without that to do it it's still a lot harder to construct maps like that.

I'm not sure if that's even possible with C&C95 to be honest...

C&C maps are already tiny... I could experiment to see what it does to change the map restriction values ingame, but most likely it'll just mess up. Not to mention, it'll be hell to create triggers to allow that, since triggers can't have input parameters like (in this case) the dimensions of the bigger map.

Also, at the time the map is read, anything outside the originally read dimensions is ignored as far as I know, so I don't think any units, structures, or even tiberium or trees could be placed in the extra part.

Got a little something cooking... not sure if I'll finish it before the end of January though.

new-ccsetup-106cr2.png

This is still a WIP, and it took me quite some brainstorming to get an intuitive interface for these settings. If anything is unclear, please let me know how I can make it better.

Got a little something cooking... not sure if I'll finish it before the end of January though.

This is still a WIP, and it took me quite some brainstorming to get an intuitive interface for these settings. If anything is unclear, please let me know how I can make it better.

can you make a translation system?

also, there is the "DeathAnnounce" option on it?

Translation system is already fully functional (it was copied from another project of mine), but before I finish the entire UI, I can't give you the full strings list to translate.

Basically, if there's a language pack (lang_???.mix or lang_???.ini) installed, and there's a "ccsetup???.lan" file with the same language code, then the setup reads that file. The format is basically an ini file without header. The files for English, German and French will obviously be stored inside the setup tool itself.

I haven't made the Game options tab yet, so, sure, I can add DeathAnnounce on it.

hmm... Do you know what is the collor of the winDOwS mod font? If that collor isn't used for anything else, we can change it to White, and... we get white fonts (so obvious).

Same thing with the wreid black line bellow the Radar Logo in the Sidebar.

Tiberium :P

As for that black, that's the background colour, probably... I wouldn't change that, I've had some bad experiences with that. It is used to fill a lot of other things you wouldn't expect, including the top and bottom bars you get when you play in 640x480, and most of the non-refreshing area around the first missions in hi-res.

Note that that black line is actually the result of the game not drawing the radar SHP on its correct position. A similar error, which draws all game icons one line too low, also caused the green line refresh bug.

...hmm, maybe I could fix that, on the radar at least :P

[edit]

Looks like the line is actually drawn on, probably to patch up for the missed coordinates because the line would be transparent otherwise. I just changed the offset of the radar logo SHP, which is a bit of a fix in general, but it seems I now have to find the coordinates of the minimap itself; since the whole SHP moved down, the minimap no longer correctly covers the static that's left over from the last radar activation frame. A one-pixel line of it now remains visible under the minimap.

Mind you, I got a fairly good idea of where to find it; I think I already met it on the way to fixing this. I'll keep you posted. The REAL problem now is that black line, though. Not sure where I should find that. I don't know any of C&C's basic drawing functions, like one to draw a line. Just the SHP-based ones...

[edit]

Yep, fixed the minimap position. Now for that black line... man, not sure where to start on that, tbh.

I have a few clues though...

[final edit]

Damn, this is really obvious patching work of Westwood, lol. All other offsets on that sidebar are relative. This one was just "draw a line at height 157" in the sidebar's draw function itself.

So, yes, that line's fixed in revision 2 :)

(and now I know know a function to draw lines, yay!)

cchiresconnect.png

(this is a screenshot when westwood chat send the data to C&C95.EXE and launches it in High Resolution (1024x768)) (got this while testing something with Hifi, sorry about the BAD image quality. i got the collors corrupted when my C&C95 freezes, with my computer)

Well... as we can say, it is a piggy job of westwood on hidding the connecting status, it is not visible in 640, but is really visible in 1024. You can see your name on it, and when you connect with your opponent it shows the Enemy name, probing it is a Connect status. As i can ask for you nyer is:

Can you restoure that menu in visibile area? i think it will be very usefull

[edit]

I got more connecting status stuff in C&C95.exe with my (or yours? :P) HEX editor... i think it should be more things messed up there.

Yeah, I noticed that too... and it's odd, since this seems to be a DIFFERENT window than the one you get when clicking "Internet" ingame; I know I centered that.

I had seen that box at the side before, and noticed a line jumping around when I clicked in the top or bottom of it, but I've never had text in it before. Does this mean you actually connected with someone?

Anyway... I got no time to test any of that now, but I'll be sure to look into this later.

By the way, with CnC-DDraw, you can use ctrl+s to make perfect screenshots, dumped in the folder with time stamps.

Yes, that box mean you are connected with someone. I think westwood did 2 Box, Only for "Connecting with WChat", and another for "Connecting to Player X". But something goes wring and they pulled out that and hided the connecting status box.

Also, you see no text on that with cc-ddraw (hifi said it to me).

anyway, the image quality is bad because when the game launched, it frozen, and the screen was like that. (i got that screenshot with ArsClip)

(also for the another topic in the 64-bits instalation: When i mean "Fixed: Wchat launches C&C95 in Load game menu" I mean that issue you fixed, and send te code for me fix it here.

Edited by pichorra