Nyerguds

1.06c development topic

Yeah... some people in the cncnet community (mainly myg) complained that my defaults for the cnc-ddraw dll settings mess up on some peoples' systems because I use the OpenGL renderer, and cause them to simply get a black screen on startup. There's a second, pure software rendered (called GDI), which should fix that problem... but hifi never implemented video stretching for that renderer.

So I'm not really sure what to do now. cnc-ddraw has used OpenGL from the very start, and now they claim it's unstable? I really don't know what to think about that. It always worked fine for me, and video stretching is kind of an important feature IMO.

um, what? Don't want to be an ass Nyerguds, but I don't really see what that has to do with 1.06 r3, unless you are just waiting for the next cnc-ddraw in include in the release.

Edited by Sonarpulse

DDraw isn't unstable. It is the guys that runs it in poorly computers with a crap Graphic card. But yes, your ddraw.ini is pretty messed up. next one make sure your default is opengl, nearest and somewhere like 80fps. (with no vsync). I can run ddraw pretty smootly in my GeForce 6200 and already suceeded running it in a radeon 9200 in nearest, or it would simple lag at all.

Don't blame Myg. I told hifi that Your default was somehow messy. Hifi probably told Myg, and Myg told you. :P But since I was trying to make ddraw to work in a Old Radeon 9200 card, it wasn't important at all (at least for me :P)

Edited by pichorra

The only thing "messy" about my default is the original C&C aspect ratio :P

I just have a few questions about revision 3:

• The hunt command fix won't be in it, I assume?
  • Maybe you could include an option to download the cut-scenes in the configuration tool (like DTA), if they don't have the .ISOs.
  • I think changing the cycle order of the scoreboard/mini-map in multi-player would be be better if it switched to the zoomed-out map first, instead of the zoomed-in one like it does now.
  • I know I'm being a bit annoying, but remember to have the installer create a desktop short-cut to CnCNet as well. But since the main problem is that there is no in-game lobby (and that implementing one would probably take ages), would it be possible to create one through external means? Even a player listing somewhere would be nice.
  • Will it be releasing soon?

1 - dunno

2 Question's aswer: Sure, but it will need an good host and the installer to be rewroten, since as far I know, Inno is a crap while handling web installers.

3 Question's aswer: It is already, isn't it?

4 Question's aswer: The CnCNet Team already gave it a try, but C&C95 don't accept more-than-2-players game using external commands (like WCHAT do). That would need to make C&C95 somehow read the LAN package using an external application (wish I don't know exactly if it is possible).

5 Question's aswer: Dunno, keep annoying Nyerguds :P

2 Question's aswer: Sure, but it will need an good host and the installer to be rewroten, since as far I know, Inno is a crap while handling web installers.

I think Nyerguds already has the videos hosted somewhere on his website.

3 Question's aswer: It is already, isn't it?

I'm not sure, a few pages back he said he would change the cycle order for the multi player scoreboard/mini-map so that it would go to the zoomed out map first presumably. For single-player it's already fixed though.

4 Question's aswer: The CnCNet Team already gave it a try, but C&C95 don't accept more-than-2-players game using external commands (like WCHAT do). That would need to make C&C95 somehow read the LAN package using an external application (wish I don't know exactly if it is possible).

Oh really? When did they mention that? Anyway, changing the code so that C&C95 can accept more than 2 players sounds like something that would be up right Nyerguds' alley.

5 Question's aswer: Dunno, keep annoying Nyerguds :P

Well, apparently he's been on so he must have seen these questions, but he hasn't answered yet so maybe he's too annoyed or something...

NYERGUDS WHERE ARE YOU?!

Edited by KevinLancaster

Newsflash: I'm a ßTESTER and i'm ALWAYS connected into CnCNet IRC. When stuff for C&C95 is being rumored there, I always find what is going on :D

https://github.com/hifi/cncqm

proof ^^

Edited by pichorra

Maybe If hifi has some breakthroughs with the red alert wolapi reverse engineer, that could be restarted again.

That is not the issue. Westwood Chat sends a .ini to C&C95. in that file, it only contain the IP of the opponent. When 2 players are connected, the match start automatically. RA95 1.08 seems to be the same trough.

Sole survivor is the only one that seems to be a bit different.

The hifi's WOLAPI is the online engine for RA95 3.03, TS, RA2, D2K and I dunno what else. Something interesting is that D2k support can be added this way.

Oh, my bad. I have never used westwood chat for TD, and forgot it was the old external method, like the old RA versions as you say (in which I have tried westwood chat). I guess the external-internal division is the nominal difference between westwood chat westwood online.

The hunt command fix won't be in it, I assume?

Haven't researched that yet, sorry. First post is normally kept up-to-date with my developments. At the moment, I'm putting all unit data into ini format for a different project, but in a way it might once be made usable for the game itself.

http://nyerguds.arsa...95upd/inirules/

The structures data is copied from TibEd's binary-to-ini system though, so I still need to double check it all.

Maybe you could include an option to download the cut-scenes in the configuration tool (like DTA), if they don't have the .ISOs.

Truth be told, I got video packs ready. I just haven't gotten around to testing and uploading them.

I think changing the cycle order of the scoreboard/mini-map in multi-player would be be better if it switched to the zoomed-out map first, instead of the zoomed-in one like it does now.

I, um, never touched that. I only changed the single player behaviour. Personally, I'd make the multiplayer minimap switch away from the stats to the radar when you build a comm center, but I don't know how to make it do that.

I know I'm being a bit annoying, but remember to have the installer create a desktop short-cut to CnCNet as well. But since the main problem is that there is no in-game lobby (and that implementing one would probably take ages), would it be possible to create one through external means? Even a player listing somewhere would be nice.

Uhh, we use the cncnet irc for that. Check http://cncnet.org/ for more info on that.

Will it be releasing soon?

Not a clue, honestly. My life's a bit of a mess right now -_-

As for the whole multiplayer thing... changing a system that is designed for one-on-one communication into one that allows more connection points is pretty much impossible in general. It's just a completely different thing, network wise. In C&C's case, it probably generally uses the same multiplayer code as the real LAN mode, so it MIGHT be possible, but you can bet that it is missing LOADS of checks in relation to differentiating between the players.

Would it reasonable to request an option on future installers to add that, or any other music?

Some people enjoy the original music, some enjoy mixing original and remakes, and some like totally new content.

I'm not trying to be a pain about it, it just would be the best for customization in my opinion.

I'm thinking maybe even a stand-alone tools with checkmarks, to toggle what is installed.

Was this implemented in the new version, or still on hold? Been a while since I stopped in to check. I like playing old games mainly for the old original content, so an option to just use the music that came with the game originally would be wonderful, since I love everything else about this patch.

You mean the credits music exception? It was added, but I forgot some code to make it work right. The remixes can be disabled with an option in the config tool. I'll be releasing revision 3 to fix the bugs I found, after I finish cleaning up some options in the setup tool.

One thing I'm not adding options for is the Nod map and score music though. It was in the game, but simply not implemented, but it was meant to be used.

If you want to revert that, you'll have to extract rules.ini (from updatec.mix) and simply change the Nod music for everything to their GDI equivalent. If you're doing that anyway, though, you can just as well change the GDI and Nod credits music to WIN1 too, which also 'fixes' the last mission music.

Or just unzip this file in the folder:

rules.zip

You mean the credits music exception? It was added, but I forgot some code to make it work right. The remixes can be disabled with an option in the config tool. I'll be releasing revision 3 to fix the bugs I found, after I finish cleaning up some options in the setup tool.

One thing I'm not adding options for is the Nod map and score music though. It was in the game, but simply not implemented, but it was meant to be used.

If you want to revert that, you'll have to extract rules.ini (from updatec.mix) and simply change the Nod music for everything to their GDI equivalent. If you're doing that anyway, though, you can just as well change the GDI and Nod credits music to WIN1 too, which also 'fixes' the last mission music.

Or just unzip this file in the folder:

Sounds great, I have no problem with the score screen and music. Everything seems to just get better and better.

Well, everything music-related is in rules.ini anyway (besides the actual track list). Change it however you wish :P

As for "totally new content", that's modding stuff, and I don't see any reason to add any direct support for that in the setup tool or installer, but anyone can extract themes.ini and change the music list however they want, as long as they got their new tracks converted to aud format.

Pretty much ready to release r3. Just gotta find the time to test everything thoroughly, make sure the language packs are up-to-date, compile the installers and upload it all.

And then it's time to switch my whole patch to hifi's assembler project system, and integrate some systems to read all those neat inis I made.

HiNyerguds,

I was thinking the other day, are you planning on having a patch where we can customize things like no bibs, mcv undeploy, no ego screen and these sort of things on SP mode and have the basic "factory" mode for MP games and this way avoiding desync and crashes online? I mean, customizations for different instances?

I think that's already possible in mission settings. Not as actual general game settings, though.

And then it's time to switch my whole patch to hifi's assembler project system

Do you have a link or something for this project ? I'd like to know more about it. Just curiosity.

Sorry, don't think he made any kind of web page for it. He actually compiled it for me to give me the exes, and gave me a brief overview of how to use it in the CnCNet irc.

hifi's framework?

All I know is that it uses nasm. You can annoy him in CnCNet IRC to g