Nyerguds

1.06c development topic

How did you add the Snow theater from Red Alert 1 to the game? Would it be possible to add the Winter theater from C&C1 to Red Alert 1? Do you have any idea how well Allen262's converted Desert theater works?

Edited by Iran

Expanding the theaters array is peanuts... but for the graphics in RA you'll need my tool to adapt the tilesets' cell terrain types.

One of the problems in RA is that it doesn't have C&C95's palette support. In RA, every existing theater uses the same colour palette, and while the theaters technically support changing it, the GUI elements and build icons do not, so, you're stuck with that one palette anyway. Since Temperate and Snow look fine on it though, I can't imagine why Winter wouldn't :)

The only real problem I can imagine is that Winter is lacking certain tiles, like water cliffs. So you can either implement it as it is, without these tiles; or you'd need to create them somehow. Also, I don't know if you'd be able to implement the EXTRA tiles, like the snow patches.

In C&C1, the tilesets (TemplateClass I think) have bit flags indicating theater ownership, to prevent using tiles in wrong theaters. So you'd have to enable these flags for the new theater index on the necessary tiles, or the game won't load them (which is what happened when I first tried using Jungle theater in C&C95. I made a complete .jun copy of Desert, but the tiles ingame stayed black).

Note that TerrainClass objects (trees, rocks etc) have this ownership value too, so if you want to use the trees and such, you'll also need to go over those in the exe!

Aye this is the problem I had.

Also, just so you know the term used by WW. Template is a collection of tiles to produce a object, where a single tile inside a template or on its own is called an Icon (Cell Icon).

Also, just so you know the term used by WW. Template is a collection of tiles to produce a object, where a single tile inside a template or on its own is called an Icon (Cell Icon).

If you check the link, I called my tool the "Red Alert Template File Terrain Type Editing Tool" ;)

C&C95 actually has an ini section called [Template] that can be used to put these templates on a map from the ini file. It doesn't work very well, though... especially since templates that start with their upper left corner outside the defined playable map area are ignored. And it seems to be disabled above mission 5 or something, iirc.

I am not sure if you have fixed this, but you mentioned that playing C&C95 on high resolution tend to have issues. Well I found another rare issue on your latest patch, Nyerguds.

By installing the C&C95 full game from your website (with the music but without the movies), when I load the game the first time on 1440 x 900 resolution, it runs smoothly. Then I downloaded the movies file from Nyergud's website and installed them to the same directory and ran the game again. Then after playing NOD mission 3 in the NOD campaign, I got a black screen while playing the cutscene and I only heard the sound but no picture. When NOD mission 4, starts, the mouse is working but when I clicked the options menu, the mouse froze and I couldn't go back to the main menu. Pressing the ESC key goes back to the mission with no issue and the mouse was still working in-game. I had no choice but to terminate the program from the Task Manager.

I've heard of both of these issues before, but as far as I know, neither is related to high res, or to the presence of the videos...

Are you going to include Iran's experimental work to the project, Nyerguds?

VRot62E.png

Not sure if that screenshot is from the original C&C or just a modified version of RA with C&C content.

Edited by zocom7

AFIAK Nyerguds is planning on moving to hifi's framework and github so merging the code should be trivial.

Yeah, I got snippets of that code around, but real life (work) is kicking my ass right now. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get on that and finally fix it.

(screenshot may not show it, but the way the power bar changes is... odd)

I never said anything about github though...

real life (work) is kicking my ass right now. I'm not sure when I'll be able to get on that and finally fix it.

No worries, C&C and its fans aren't going anywhere :P Ready when you are. ^_^

My apologies about github then. Kamikave is right, absolutely no rush, but if there is anything we can do to help just say.

Show that noob how to fix the power bar "rising" upwards!

lol... I'll try. It's basically just copying the old logic, but divided into the 'higher than the power bar' part, the 'top of the power bar' part, and the 'power bar' part.

I don't know whether it does, but Nyergud's versions can be installed stand alone instead of as a patch, so it doesn't matter.

Probably already been answered, but does this work with the Ultimate Collection on Origin?

Technically it does, but unfortunately the current installer does not contain the logic to disable the all-user compatibility mode that TUC installs on C&C95. TUC also enables a pretty damaging option in the config file that will mess up the game.

To get around that, follow these steps:

• Install the patch.
  • Open the properties of C&C95.exe in the game folder, go to Compatibility, click the "change settings for all users" button, and disable ALL compatibility options there.
  • Open the new config tool added by the patch (CCConfig.exe) and simply press "OK" on it, so it saves the game's settings as they should, disabling the problematic option.

2 issues to see if it is viable:

- how can we set an AI structure (in map making) to be the primary builder (barracks essentially). If I put 2 or 3 barracks far away from each other and set a teamtype to be created, they will rally to one of them, then they will go out to perform the attack. I'd like them to be built in only one place. Maybe one of those dead parameters works for this?! ...

- can you set in the MAIN missions menu, if I want to start on EB map of a campaign can I click with LMB + F2, for example? Or LMB+F3 for EC, LMB+F4 for ED, etc

Could also be LMB + "EB", etc. or something like that..

Edited by Solo

I'm currently not really developing on this, to be honest... there's a lot keeping me busy in real life.

As for your questions:

-I don't think there's any way to control where units are created by the AI. As for the teamtype parameters, while a lot of them are unknown, I doubt any of them actually have no function.

-I'm really bad at the whole special keys thing, to be honest. If I ever do get back into this, I might just use 1-2-3-4-5-6-7-8-9-0 for this though, signifying EA-EB-EC-ED-EE-WA-WB-WC-WD-WE. If I can even collect key input at that point, though. I'm afraid that list control has its own key listener, quite apart from the main key listener loop that checks ingame hotkeys, and I honestly don't know where that is.

Umm, they already scroll the sidebar...

Are you going to include Iran's experimental work to the project, Nyerguds?

Not sure if that screenshot is from the original C&C or just a modified version of RA with C&C content.

Is there a mod for RA with C&C content? would be pretty awesome!

Wanted to say the new RA installer is awesome, I'm fairly confident with people like Nyerguds around and the community, I can be running Command & Conquer on a q-bit computer. Yay!

I remember you Nyerguds from the CC Tech center back in the day

*Edit* Thanks to googles updates I can't find anything when I string together any number of words. Can't really search for RA mods when it automatically synonymizes my words and ignores numbers, oh such a pourage of soupy mess. Anyway

Edited by RUS_Starbuck

Heh, nice to see old folks from the C&C Tech Center. There's a bit of a successor of that site now, namely the C&C Communications Center. It's the best place to look for mods and tools for C&C1 and RA1 :)

Hi Nyerguds,

Some time ago we talked about the possibility of having one or two more flares in TD.

Could you make a study if this is convenient or not to add to the game, like the extra destroy triggers trigger you have done? And, of course, if it's possible?

This kind of stuff is annoying because trigger actions in C&C1 can only get a teamtype as parameter, and nothing else.

The only way would be by making a bunch of clone triggers, like "DZ at 'A'", "DZ at 'B'", "DZ at 'C'" etc. I guess it's technically possible, but it means making an entire alphabet of new triggers :(

Isn't the teamtype argument 8-bit, so it has 256 possible values? More than enough space to encode various info. Not exactly user-friendly though but if you add new triggers the map editor also needs to be updated and from what I recall the XCC map editor isn't open-source.