Sign in to follow this  
Saracen

Renegade: The Inspiration of the new FPS Generation!

Looking at a few Half life 2 previews and came across this....

One little publicised fact about HL2 has been the number of vehicles you can get your hands on, but fortunately the next demo provided ample evidence of their credentials. Powering along a mountain road in an armed dune buggy was awesome, but we were soon under assault from bouncing ball enemies which bore a resemblance to miniature Prisoner-style Rovers.

And no doubt that the idea for vehicles in a FPS game had come from Renegade itself.... Not Halo! I don't care what anyone says Halo did not start that one off!! In fact OK the concept is not new it was picked upon before renegade, but where Renegade pioneered the free roaming of it all, Halo... well... ha, that only picked up where it left off...

I hear that Unreal Tournament 2004 has vehicles in too.... ya see, despite crap scores in some parts of the world, Renegade has made a difference...

(This is not a Renegade related post.... just a rant :D)

Hate to busrt your bubble but Tribes or Tribes 2 was first.

OK, but really that never had half as much popularity around the world as Renegade did, and if FPS coined onto tribes 2 then the concept of vehicles would have been around alot sooner meaning the unreals, and others like it would have had beaten Renegade to it..

OK, but really that never had half as much popularity around the world as Renegade did

LOL. This is the funniest thing I've heard all week. Tribes 1, and to a lesser extent Tribes 2, were far more popular then Renegade ever was.

I don't care how popular Renegade is or was, I just wish I could play it online again. Damn thing simply doesn't connect to WOL anymore :cry:

I'd love to know why..... my connection is fine and dandy... hmm

So what if i'm wrong.... in my eyes renegade was 100 times better than tribes anyday of the week

I'd love to know why..... my connection is fine and dandy... hmm

Here is the reason why, http://forums.cncnz.com/viewtopic.php?t=977

I e-mailed EA Tech Support about it and this is what their reply was.....

Response (Box Peter R.) - 05/12/2004 05:06 PM

Hello,

This is a known issue with the Westwood servers and we have been trying to resolve the issue as soon as possible. At this time, I suggest trying to play on Gamespy using the ingame option, or Gamespy Arcade. I am sorry for the inconvenience.

Best regards,

Peter R.

In other words no solution there, GameSpy is not an option :roll:

I haven't play Renegade online since the first week of March.

Because GameSpy never works for me. I'll admit I haven't tried GameSpy for awhile though. Maybe I should give it another go.

I heard there are only a few Renegade servers on GameSpy anyway.

Maybe tribes and tribes 2 were popular in your country but here Renegade is much more popular, i mean i've never even heard of tribes... or even heard anyone mention it here :?

well nice to be back in an area where ppl pay attention to the rules just came from reborns site. some idiot TRIED to make fun of me...anyway ive been havin troubles too sonic so dont worry your not alone :wink: anyway as for renegade being mooched off of just tell EA to bring back WW and WW will take care of it but thats a 1-100000000...alot of the 0s...chance that they will so dont bother

ive never seen that... :x did i miss something here?plus i just got banned from the reborn forums because of this punk! yeah! now i dont have to put up with him :lol:

Yo!

Found this topic today, and I thought I'd add something to it. Have any of you folks heard of a game called 'Shadow Warrior' that was designed by 3-D Realms using pretty much the same engine as Duke Nukem 3-D? Compared to most of the FPSes in recent memory the graphics weren't much to write home about, but instead of Duke Nukem's satire of gratuitous mysogeny and John Wayne machoness, Shadow Warrior was a massive satire of 'chop-sockey' martial arts films and a nice big wad of Japanese animation (Anime). Favourite scenes of mine included 'Master Leep's Throne' (Eeeeuw, smell like dead baboon in here! -Lo Wang) and the quote Lo Wang voices when he picks up his second Uzi: "Be proud, Mr. Woo!" (as in John Woo, legendary action film director). :)

Anyway, enough of the Realms commercial. There were at least two vehicles you could use in the shareware episode (never could find the whole thing locally): a forklift with a machine gun that you could plow into the bad guys, and a big mother of an Abrams (tank) with a big effing gun of its own, and could render anything you rolled it over into Ground Food Concentrate #15. :)

There were limits, though... I don't think the game designers intended you to roll either of them all through the level; you found them in wide, flat open spaces (or at least with connecting throughways you could fit the tank through) and with the forklift area you had to all but lure the bad guys besides a couple in plain sight to blow them away with the forklift.

Still, it was the first game I recall coming across that had vehicles (albeit-limited in their use). Thanks for listening!

-Worker, overall.

Have any of you folks heard of a game called 'Shadow Warrior' that was designed by 3-D Realms using pretty much the same engine as Duke Nukem 3-D?

I think I recall 'Shadow Warrior', must have been about 1996/97. I remember it was the shareware version on the cover CD of a gaming magazine. I'll be honest though, its just the name 'Shadow Warrior' that I remember, the actual game doesn't come flooding back.

Guest Cracker

well, Regenade is a better games than many of FPS games that i've seen,

(Exception:Counter-strike: CZ)i think its the first FPS game who has got vehicles in its multiplayer version, also i think its a quite old game, than UT 2003/04, so its pioneer of that kind,

of course, its what i think, it maybe wrong :)

its better than Tiberian Sun

They are talking about Counter Strike the FPS game not the addon for Red Alert :wink:

From the reviews I've seen Counter Strike: Condition Zero looks crap.

I don't know why they did it. They should have just waited for source.

Sonic, you expounded:

I think I remember Shadow Warrior .... cover CD of a gaming magazine. I'll be honest though, its just the name 'Shadow Warrior' that I remember, the actual game doesn't come flooding back.

No prob. It's cool enough that you remember it; even though what I saw of it was only a fragment of the whole (never could find it anywhere other than mailorder, and at that point I didn't have much of a budget ;)- risky enough doing m-o in-country, but I've had utter hell doing it between Canada and the US because of inconsistencies on either side of the border about what bank needed to access what funds via the money order... bleah.), it's held a special place in my heart a) because it was even funnier than DN3D and B) the anime used throughout it. I don't know more than a handful of folks (yourself included) who even remotely remember it; I don't know anyone who's ever played the shareware version (let alone the full version) at that.

Anyway, I pull the archive out occasionally to vent some frustrations. No lie- it works for that even better than Duke Nuk'em 3-D. :)

Draggor, you Elmoted:

ok...dont lose me now

? I don't understand what you mean by that. I certainly am not trying to purposely confuse you. :oops: Well, not yet at least. I know I tend to have wordy replies, but that's just me. :)

Cracker, you cheesed:

well, Renegade is a better games than many of FPS games that i've seen,

(Exception:Counter-strike: CZ)i think its the first FPS game who has got vehicles in its multiplayer version, also i think its a quite old game, than UT 2003/04, so its pioneer of that kind,

There are older versions of Unreal that I've seen (but never played- still chugging along in my 'old jalopy' (p1-166MHz), at least for the next few weeks. Gonna be getting me a byootiful 3.56GHz AMD in a little over a month. :)), as well as the first Tribes, but I don't have enough experience with any of them to say one way or another. I _have_ played, T2, briefly, over on a friend's private computer network... quite honestly, I didn't have enough time to get used to it. I was used to games that required no jumping. :) Gotten a lot more experience with newer (such as they are) FPSes like Quake 2 (last Xmas, got the full version CD along with 3 other titles in a package) and Half-Life (got the HL Platinum Collection late last year), so I'd probably do much better now.

I will never, ever understand why an HEV Mk-4 doesn't have a headpiece, or a helmet, or something. Even Barney C. has a helmet. Maybe the folks at Black Mesa figured their skulls were tempered or something. 8)

What sort of range of vehicles can you bop around in playing Renegade, anyhow?

ChickenDippers, you surmised:

I hate to be the freak, but I don't like CS.

No worries. As you may have guessed, I've never even _played_ Counter-Strike. Would you believe my first exposure to the game was through an anti-FPS 'documentary' that biased everything against Half-Life and CS and Doom and all of them? Tripstain 'reporter' villified the average FPS as a murderer's game, even all the while a reasonable Valve rep was trying to say- repeatedly and never able to convince the twit- that what you were 'killing' were pixels, bluntly, not murdering other people. There was even a clip with a woman reporting that her son 'looked like he wanted to kill me' when she pressed the Reset button on his computer while he was playing CS. Jeezus biscuits, what a load of... how the heck do you think someone would feel, 'ma'am', if you were typing out an essay in Word and somebody hard-boxed your computer? You'd be pretty upset, I think. They pulled every trick I can think of to mesh stuff stripped out of context to try and make the 'unenlightened' viewer think FPSes were murder-makers.

They still play it at conventions as little more than a blooper reel. :)

Anyway, I'm getting a little off-topic. CS is (apparently) not akin to most games or FPSes I've played. Frankly, I think with how terrible I am at multiplayer Q2 I'd absolutely blow pineapples at Counter-Strike. It seems to require a lot more patience than your average shoot-em-up.

(Mind, I must be sounding quite naive about all this. Keep in mind, I've barely scratched my way on HL, and have never played Team Fortress or Counter-Strike, even though I have my own copies of both along with Blue Shift and Opposing Force.)

Well, that and the debugging codes. All things considered, I really don't have a lot of experience with FPSes where I can actually _die_. Sucks to be mortal sometimes. :P Anyway, over to the next supplicant. Peace!

-Worker, beknighted conduit.

I don't know why they did it. They should have just waited for source.

I know why they made CS:CZ.... the money!