Sign in to follow this  
Mighty BOB!

Blizzard Announces RealID System

Saw this news today. Good on Blizzard. This will probably come back as Sonic mentioned, but I'm happy that the company listened.

(I just don't think this solves the problem. In real life small-time crime is committed by people not wearing a mask regularly...)

But what you say online isn't really relevant. Trolls and pacifists and everyone in between alike would lose their anonymity.

The simple fact I am taking a controversial position on this matter shows I say something relevant, and why should you mention pacifists as if they were not capable of defend their points of view? Back on the 20th century we saw Martin Luther King and Mahatma Gandhi fighting without armies and being capable to change the world, these were men of conviction who held their ideals even on the face of a warranted death.

Guest Stevie_K

No. The have decided to drop the whole real-name thing on the official forums.

Hello everyone,

I'd like to take some time to speak with all of you regarding our desire to make the Blizzard forums a better place for players to discuss our games. We've been constantly monitoring the feedback you've given us, as well as internally discussing your concerns about the use of real names on our forums. As a result of those discussions, we've decided at this time that real names will not be required for posting on official Blizzard forums.

Read the whole post right here.

It's a terrible idea because people who get sucked into these games can go to crazy lengths to feed their addiction or get revenge for those who affront their e-honor. We already have account hackings, payment info theft, and real-life-access abuses (phsyical access to a machine running the game). Now if somebody ruins your raid or ninjaloots your whatever or hacks your account that you spend most of your waking life on, you'll be able to track them down? What could possibly go wrong!?