Roadkill

DOS-only Red Alert? O_O

Those are just the MINIMUM requirements.

BTW, the site doesn't allow hotlinking. Link to the PAGES with the images, plz.

Those are just the MINIMUM requirements.

BTW, the site doesn't allow hotlinking. Link to the PAGES with the images, plz.

Fixed links. Also the same site has boxart for the standard Win/DOS release which has requirements for both versions listed and "Windows 95 & DOS" written on the front cover, unlike the aforementioned weird version which says "DOS CD-ROM" on the front cover and doesn't list Win 95 requirements.

Edited by Roadkill

Eons ago I had purchased RA1. It shipped on two CDs (of course), and IIRC was DOS-only.

I remember that it REALLY chugged on my old 486DX-50 at the time, and promptly returned the game for a refund. Heh, that shows you how long ago that was... back when you could return software for a refund LOL!

Edited by Rich Nagel

Eons ago I had purchased RA1. It shipped on two CDs (of course), and IIRC was DOS-only.

So it might be some rare release....

And you returned it? What a shame... seems like a rare find.

Guest Stevie_K

I still have the C&C and RA1 old hard paper boxes with the CD's and manuals down in my basement. They are quite beaten up by time though. I wonder if they are worth anything.

Seeing as that's exactly the kind of stuff I buy on ebay, I'd say yes :P

So it might be some rare release....

I'm really not sure if it was all that rare. I remember seeing the exact same CD boxed set for quite some time... Office Max (and the local software retailers) at the time had quite a few of them in stock way back when.

And you returned it? What a shame... seems like a rare find.

Yeah, I wish I had never returned it. It wasn't all that long after (maybe less than a year or so) when I upgraded that old 486 DX-50 to a DX4-100 (actually, a bus speed of 50, so's more like 2-100), which would have been more than adequate to run it.

All the various releases are shown here http://www.mobygames.com/game/command-conq...alert/cover-art. In New Zealand we got the red UK box that can been seen here http://www.mobygames.com/game/command-conq...eCoverId,26995/, it was both the DOS and Windows version. From memory you could install either version, depending on your system requirements.

The only thing about the DOS-only RA release that makes me wonder is that if the hybrid DOS/Win95 release could fit on two CDs, what specifically was there to gain by a pure DOS release? While publishing two separate releases, one fro DOS and the other for DOS/Win95 would be more costly, with separate packages and CDs with different content.

IMO, it only makes sense if the separate DOS version were released before the Win95 version was completed.