Sign in to follow this  
pichorra

Command & Conquer winDOwS MOD!

Command & Conquer winDOwS mod!

----------------------------- v1.2

This mod changes the graphical style of C&C95 to that of DOS C&C. It is

created by pichorra, and does not have any warranties. Also thanks to

Nyerguds for explaining things, and for adding the language compatibility.

Version: 1.2

Creator: pichorra

Game: Command & Conquer for Windows 95 (gold, Tiberian Dawn)

Version of the game needed: v1.06c or higher

Instalation:

-Extract all files to C&C95 folder (default C:\WESTWOOD\C&C95)

-Open the file CONQUER.INI, and find the [ModControl] section.

-Set the ModName option to 'dosmod':

[ModControl]

ModName=dosmod

-Save and exit. It's not so hard at all, is it?

Supported languages:

English, French, German, Spanish (addon), British (addon).

Bugs:

1°- Green fonts in money, "Options" and "Sidebar" of all language (they should be white)

2°- Black line below the Radar logo in the Sidebar

3°- Icons of buildings, units and infantry are always yellow (C&C95 engine limitation)

Download: Here

Note: You need WinRAR, 7Zip or Winzip (in windows) to extract those files.

gold2dos0.png

gold2dos1.png

gold2doshr.png

Edited by pichorra

It seems you need to replace that particular static frame of the radar animation by black :P

As for the sound, I'll look into it... I just found some more information on how the volume of sounds is managed internally. It's entirely possible that the sound volume of that one has been lowered in C&C95.

[edit]

I found the data in DOS C&C, and it seems to be completely the same.

Seeing as it was confusing some people, I split this off... feel free to continue your development on it and post it here, but not in the 1.06c thread, mkay?

Seeing as it was confusing some people, I split this off... feel free to continue your development on it and post it here, but not in the 1.06c thread, mkay?

ok, i should post news of this mod: The grafical stuff for English language is completed, The text of all buttons is in Caps, the sidebar was completed, powerbar was remaded to fit in C&C95 sidebar, and it is using DOS texture for all buttons. it is working very good in High Resolution too. but it haves some issues i can't easly fix.

1°- The green fonts in Ingame: i ask how to did it to Nyer and him spoke it will need hacking... i have no idea how to fix that, since i have no experience with dissasambling.

2°- The black line above the radar logo: It is created by the game Engine... i think it will need hacking.

3°- The icons is yellow for all factions: C&C95 engine uses the same SHP for all factions... i only replaced it with the DOS one...

gold2dos0.png

gold2dos1.png

gold2doshr.png

Edited by pichorra

Pichorra is modding C&C95 to look like DOS C&C. I don't mind the thread being here. That's all :P

Looks pretty awesome too :D

Remappable icons would have been sweet though.

Looks like the remap function is still referenced from the sidebar drawing thing... I should look into that. Maybe it's yet another one of these "if resolution width is 320, use DOS UI logic, otherwise, use C&C95 logic" choices.

I started converting the French stuff, and i discovered a intersteanting thing... All Languages but english is with the ID as the Name! i can't get the name to replace it with XCC and get it to work! and the MM351 can't read the names inside the UPDATEC.MIX! so, i need the name of all lang stuff.

that is why i like MM351 to create mix files at insteand XCC...

Edited by pichorra

I don't understand your question... but the names files are simply called conquer.eng, conquer.ger, conquer.fre. You can use mm or mmlite to extract it.

Mix Manager only knows the files it has in its internal list (all.inf inside the mixfile mm.dat). I've wanted to expand that but it has a maximum amount of entries which was already reached just by adding the C&C95 icons. So creating or editing the mixfile with Mix Manager would make no difference at all.

I don't understand your question... but the names files are simply called conquer.eng, conquer.ger, conquer.fre. You can use mm or mmlite to extract it.

Mix Manager only knows the files it has in its internal list (all.inf inside the mixfile mm.dat). I've wanted to expand that but it has a maximum amount of entries which was already reached just by adding the C&C95 icons. So creating or editing the mixfile with Mix Manager would make no difference at all.

see, the name is the ID!

that is the problem, also, MM see no names inside the mix.

post-7119-1282678705_thumb.jpg

The game does not read "Obfuscate ID" + "Ext", the Obfuscate ID is the filename+ext. You need to find the original files name because XCC does not have it in its databases.

Pichorra, there IS NO WAY to translate IDs back to filenames. The only way is to HAVE the filenames, so you can convert them all to IDs and see if any of them match the IDs inside the mixfile. And inserting a file with the ID as filename has no use at all, since the ID generated from THAT is completely different anyway.

And Mix Manager has the ability to just extract the file you ask it to extract, converting the requested filename to ID and looking it up in the mixfile. Which means there's no problem when you know the filename. Just use this:

mmlite.exe cclocal.mix -e conquer.ger

As for the filenames...

German:

conquer.ger

hpips_g.shp

hmapg.shp

hrepairg.shp

hsellg.shp

French:

conquer.fre

hpips_f.shp

hmapf.shp

hrepairf.shp

hsellf.shp

Spanish:

conquer.spa

hpips_s.shp

hmaps.shp

hrepairs.shp

hsells.shp

1.06c will remove all this confusion, since A. the mixfiles are all made with XCC Mix Editor, meaning XCC can read the filenames from the "local mix database.dat" file inside the mixfile, and B. the language ini files (lang_fre.ini, lang_ger.ini, lang_jap.ini) will contain the names of all files they use (though the UI's "h???.shp" files mentioned above are in there without the "h" at the start. It's because of the way C&C loads them).

Wow, nice pichorra. It looks very interesting.

EDIT: Would you know if this is compatible with someone who does not have this modification (it would be cool if I could use it on CnCNet :P)?

Edited by godly-cheese

Yes, it is compatible, i tested a Modded version vs. a normal trough CnCNet. Works fine. also in lan too.

The only purely graphical mods that cause problems online are build-up animations of structures with a different number of frames than the original. That was the only issue I needed to fix to make my Star Wars mod compatible with unmodded C&C.

(well, another possible issue is adding build-up anims for structures that don't have em, since that makes em sellable. But "no animation" to "an animation" is inevitable a different number of frames anyway :P)

[edit]

Oh, you replace cclocal.mix and updatec.mix. The two most vital files of the game, which contain 90% of the non-exe updates I do. Yeah, that's like, a REALLY bad idea. The fact it crashes is most likely due to it not finding either ccmenu.pal in cclocal.mix, or themes.ini in updatec.mix. On top of that, it's missing a string in the strings file.

Also, the spanish files are not needed for 1.06c since it no longer has inbuilt Spanish; Spanish is now a language pack. In fact, the safest way to distribute your mod is probably AS a language pack, since you have to edit the strings file anyway, and language packs can safely override the strings file without needing to replace any existing files.

... not to mention, the only edited strings file in your pack is the English one anyway.

Here's the DOS mod, for the English language, as language pack for C&C95 v1.06c.

Just put the language to DOS to make it work :P

dos_eng.rar

Updated, 11/21/2010 00:31 AM, Please download the mod again,

Changelog:

-Now it works with all languages

-No needs anymore to mess up mix files to install and unnistall it

Tanx to Nyerguds for working with the other languages!

No problem :)

I'm working on a system to allow you to make the entire strings file an ini file. Only problem is multiple-line strings at this moment... I'll have to find a solution for that.

v1.2 relased!

Changelog:

- Better top bar font to make it more readable (but still green)

first i wanted to say that i LOVE this mod, as i loved the original dos version. Thanks for your work!

But is there really no way to change the color in the sidebar to i.e. red for nod?

Well, dunno. I got some clues to where the remapping system is (with the whole colour schemes system I made for 1.06), but I've never bothered to find the actual function that does the remapping. If I got some time, I'll take a look at it, and dig into the DOS exe to see where and how the sidebar code uses that function.

That'll require me to dig into the DOS C&C exe though, and that's a mess -_-

If I figure it out, I'll add it as option in rules.ini though :)

Well, dunno. I got some clues to where the remapping system is (with the whole colour schemes system I made for 1.06), but I've never bothered to find the actual function that does the remapping. If I got some time, I'll take a look at it, and dig into the DOS exe to see where and how the sidebar code uses that function.

That'll require me to dig into the DOS C&C exe though, and that's a mess -_-

If I figure it out, I'll add it as option in rules.ini though :)

It's someway the same code used by the team units colors probably...