Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

OpenRA Available for Download

This news sort of came out of left field. OpenRA is an Open Source reimplementation of Westwood's original Command & Conquer: Red Alert. Built from the ground up while still retaining the spirit of the original game. It features a modernised interface and it makes use of today's powerful graphics processors. A heavy emphasis has been put on the multiplayer experience. Here's a short video that shows the game play and the interface. The OpenRA project is only a few months old but the amount of progress is amazing.

OpenRA is available for download right now for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X. Head over to the OpenRA site for more details.

Needs to turn the damn speed up, that **** is way to slow. :P

But looks well, like the real thing. :)

Website bookmarked! I like the look and feel of the website aswell!

Edited by Pepzi

Does this OpenRA have a high resolution?

As one of the main devs on openra, I must say that this sudden explosion of interest is both great, and at a very unfortunate time.

We have just finished merging some major features, which has introduced a large number of bugs and instabilities into the game :/

A couple of points that we don't really emphasize on the website:

- We have built the game from the ground up to be extremely moddable. The ra and cnc games are both built as standard mods, and we have built a full set of developing/modding tools including a map editor.

- We are still very much alpha-quality software. Our intention was to keep under the radar until we had something polished enough to release with a bang, but one of our fans has outed us :)

- Built by kiwi's ;)

We've had a few comments on performance;

Bear with us. Despite our 8-bit appearances, we make full use of modern computing resources. In our current state, a netbook just doesn't cut it with their tiny cpu caches and crappy intel graphics chips. We have some medium-term fixes in the pipeline to make things easier on lower spec'd machines, but we're developing this in our spare time so it may take a while.

If you have any other questions, most of the action happens in our irc channel at irc.freenode.net #openra

-- pchote (aka Sleipnir for those who remember me from the old days)

We've had a few comments on performance;

Bear with us. Despite our 8-bit appearances, we make full use of modern computing resources. In our current state, a netbook just doesn't cut it with their tiny cpu caches and crappy intel graphics chips. We have some medium-term fixes in the pipeline to make things easier on lower spec'd machines, but we're developing this in our spare time so it may take a while.

I'm amazed how genuine openRA feels in comparison to the real thing, a real excellent job.

If its' any help, these are the specs of the computer I had serious performance issues with openRA on.

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad CPU @ 2.40gHz

Memory: 4GB

System type: 32-bit

Gfx: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT

Sound: Creative SB X-Fi

It's good, but somehow the buildings looks a bit weird!

(aka Sleipnir for those who remember me from the old days)

I remember that name!

Waraddict,

We've had a few people reporting problems with creative sound cards, but we don't have any hardware to test with.

It would be really helpful if you could join us on irc and help us debug this; your machine is well above our minimum specs otherwise.

- Built by kiwi's ;)

So there are New Zealanders working in the OpenRA project?

-- pchote (aka Sleipnir for those who remember me from the old days)

That name seem vaguely familiar to me. Did you a lot of stuff for Renegade and Generals a few years ago?

So there are New Zealanders working in the OpenRA project?

While we have recently picked up a few international developers, our core team (chrisf, ytinasni, beedee, alzeih and myself) are all in NZ, alumni of VUW.

That name seem vaguely familiar to me. Did you a lot of stuff for Renegade and Generals a few years ago?

www.sleipnirstuff.com was very active for RA2 and Generals modding. It's still around, but has been largely inactive for the last few years.

Looks good. I hope you are successful at building a feature complete version. Otherwise people can lose interest and it may fail like FreeCNC.

But I am hopeful. :D

While we have recently picked up a few international developers, our core team (chrisf, ytinasni, beedee, alzeih and myself) are all in NZ, alumni of VUW.

Hmmm. Interesting.

I can't find a Q&A on the OpenRA website. Does OpenRA require the original Red Alert or C&C in order to be installed? Is this program originally a mod for RA and C&C?

How about downloading it and finding out?

Sleipnir sounded familiar to me too, but it seemed doubtful I would have known you.

Then I remembered it was Odin's eight-legged horse... and mythology is something I would be familiar with.

Our forums are now online, and a new build has been uploaded on our website.

• Improvements to Render performance
  • Improved debugging for performance issues
  • "Give Exploration" developer-mode option
  • Check for .net framework on windows install
  • Allow the viewport to scroll past the map edge to prevent ui from blocking buildings

Also, please read our FAQ. If you have any further questions feel free to ask them in the forum.

I downloaded and played a game. How can I play the mods separately. I can't seem to play the CnC version. Only the RA and thats also only for MP.

I downloaded and played a game. How can I play the mods separately. I can't seem to play the CnC version. Only the RA and thats also only for MP.

What operating system are you running? Under windows there are start menu shortcuts for both mods. http://www.open-ra.org/mods.html

Very nice stuff, downloaded and going to play it sometime after I study, very good!