Sign in to follow this  
Sursion

C&C keeps crashing :(

When I'm playing Tiberian Dawn, the game randomly crashes with a 'C&C95 gold has encountered a problem and needs to close'. It's completely random, twice it's happened while I'm playing, another time it happened when I tried to save.

Windows XP

C&C 95

I used the XP Gold patch and I'm using Nyerguds 1.06b patch.

Any advice?

After the crash you should get an error message from the game itself, saying at which internal instruction address the game actually crashed. Could you give me that information?

The message should look something like this:

The instruction at 00432421 referenced memory at 01befc29
The memory could not be read from

The numbers can be different, and the second line can also be "the memory could not be written". I can look up the instruction address in the exe though, see what part of the game crashed, and maybe figure out what went wrong there, and help fix it.

What XP Gold patch are you talking about though? Please don't combine the 1.06b patch with any other patches; it already has everything you need. If you mean the official Westwood WinXP patch (the file "thipx32.dll"), realize that that patch DISABLES network play, while my patch actually contains a fix to ENABLE network play again. This means that applying the Westwood patch after installing the 1.06b patch will cause it to BREAK network (and skirmish) play.

If you applied the Westwood patch before the 1.06b patch, then there's no problem though, since the 1.06b patch overwrites the thipx32.dll file with a fan-made version that actually works.

I installed the Westwood patch as a precaution because I wasn't sure if yours enabled the Windows XP fix. But I installed your patch after the Westwood one. And I remember I got the internal instruction address once. I'll continue playing and get it again for you. Thanks for the help.

Edit: I haven't been able to get the error message. The only thing that pops up is the standard 'the main executable for C&C95 has encountered a problem and needs to close'. Out of all the times it's crashed, I only got the error message once. I'm not sure how to get it again.

Edited by Sursion

Bah... well those Windows error messages are useless to me :-\

I have been using FRAPS to record the game. Could FRAPS be the reason this old game keeps crashing?

Yes, FRAPS may well be the very reason. I personaly can not physicaly run fraps and CnC1 together for more than a few min with out one of them crashing

It is a well known fact that FRAPS crashes all TFD C&Cs.

I'm not running First Decade >_>

Anyways, I reinstalled and it seems to have fixed the problem. I haven't gotten the crash since. I also skipped the Westwood XP patch and installed Nyerguds patch only. Maybe that was the problem afterall.

I can run Fraps and not crash at all. Even when recording.