rexzooly

RA 2 + YR Editor (RedState 0.1)

EDITED, JUMP TO NEWIST POST HERE

Hey everyone, I been using TibEd 1.7 and still it gets lost with editing a simple ini file its old now so I guess this is the reason.

I am looking to make my own editor and would like to here your thoughts on what you would like to see in :ra2: RA2

bear in mind it will still only edit the rules at this time and I will look in to others things also I have moddered the rules in the past

in a text editor so I feel I should be able to get the settings right, I would like to also hear peoples limits they have found with RA2

as this is one this that really FoooBar'd me off with TibEd its a great app but I am sure many people told him XY & Z are limited to so

on and the editor still lets you go past that I would like to also program in the limits so its n00b friendly RA 2 is a loved game by all and

still as many years or gaming and Modding left in its little heart.

I also plan to update the NAME:YOURUNIT/BUILDING on save/run of the game with a option call trueState that will run the game with its old

rules and config with a optional bootloader option that will give you the option to load trueState your selfState modes selfState is your edited

the game.

Also I would like to know if anyone as the rule file for YR I don't have the game so I don't have the file to test with.

Help Needed with:

A list of the limits before RA2 and YR crash.

other files that can be edited in the same way as the rules.

Artwork and UI style Ideas.

tuts, guids and other details that might help the project.

I would like this to be Pro user friendly as well as n00b user friendly so all of you please get your replies in with your ideas as I seen so many posts

there you flame programs that say they can do XY & Z but fail at Y so lol.

This will be my first ever game editor so be kind to me lol.

RadState 0.1's project folder as been made as we speak and notes are slowly been added.

:ra2: RadState 0.1 <Coming Soon>

PS forgive my spelling I am dyslexic I know my way around a PC but wording things are not my best fortay lol.

Edited by rexzooly

After a lot of reading after my post last night I also found out I am going to have to write or have some write for me a DLL that will decode/read the CSF files then be able to write back to them most of the code will be in scripting language Lua, but the DLL will have to be a C++ DLL that push's to Lua, I will do this in plugin formate for the platform I am using but any help on the C++ function I need to read and write to the CSF file would be helpful thanks.

My rule file as around 1196 sections I am not sure all of these are needed and a few might be custom changes, anyone with the clean rule file also post how

many sections there's contain would be useful also.

Also what is your root folder for your RA2 and YR mine is "Windows Drive\Westwood\GAME NAME\" EG "C:\Westwood\RA2" are all standard installers like this ? or do some now included a windows program folder installer? I ask this as I do a pre-check for the game when the program is booted up if it find it it will not request the user to get it, but if it fails to find it it then will pop up and say we can't find your game please point use too the DIR of the game.

Looking back on this, this is my first editor for RA2 but not my first mod I made a The First Decade Bootloader replacement that also included the compatible game trainers for that version also I included a gamer option to boot a game mod someone made I really liked at the time, I no longer

have that source but would not be hard to redo at sometime if someone was intested int that.

Here is the first look of the program, No editing functions yet but this is the start of the UI and I thought I let people have a look, I spent way to long reading up on how to edit the CSF file but for now I put that to one side and here I go starting work on the main editor.

I not sure how I am going to let the user edit the values yet but it will mostly be a dialog box with details of what can and can't done with the value at hand, I would like to also have someone help translate the program at some point so it can be multi lang supported.

I am hoping someone will reply soon to this post as ideas do dry fast as this post as had a few views be nice to get your ideas on this and I really could do with the help with the limits of some values that crash the game I can't test ever value my self this would take forever maybe years on years, thanks guys.

Here is the Image:

post-7313-1286111463_thumb.png

Images and icons for the app if you want to help are open to people to submit the left tree uses 16 by 16 images in a image strip so if you like to help out there please do it can take along time to find the right images to fit.

**HELP **

[GDI]
UIName=Name:GDI
Name=GDI
Suffix=Allied
Prefix=G
Color=Gold
MultiplayPassive=true
Side=GDI
SmartAI=yes

[Nod]
UIName=Name:Nod
Name=Nod
Suffix=Allied
Prefix=G
Color=Gold
MultiplayPassive=true
Side=GDI
SmartAI=yes

P.S this above file was game from TibEd 1.7 I not sure if it build the file its self or pulled it from one of the mix files.

Can someone past there NOD and GDI rules as I deleted mine to reset it and it says NOD is GDI I need this as I am making the safe list for this secetion

; Here is the Games Safe Settings for RedState 0.1
[GDI-Safe]
UIName=uID; uID is givin to user contralled Inputs.
Name=uID; uID is givin to user contralled Inputs.
Suffix=uID; uID is givin to user contralled Inputs.
Prefix=uID; uID is givin to user contralled Inputs.
Color=Gold
MultiplayPassive=true|false
Side=GDI|NOD
SmartAI=yes|no

[Nod-Safe]
UIName=uID; uID is givin to user contralled Inputs.
Name=uID; uID is givin to user contralled Inputs.
Suffix=uID; uID is givin to user contralled Inputs.
Prefix=uID; uID is givin to user contralled Inputs.
Color=Gold
MultiplayPassive=true|false
Side=GDI|NOD
SmartAI=yes|no

If this is right please post this also can anyone post the safe colors and safe Prefix/Suffix that can be used thanks. Also I know this site is little slow but this post as had many views already and well it be nice to get some kind of reply? what kind of forum lets there users just sitting there lol . :) get your say in people :)

Edited by rexzooly

Little update

So far I am able to dynamily load People, Buildings & Transport and I am able to view there values.

I am able to load the safelist config file so the safe values are shown to the end user.

I have not started on editing values just yet but here is a updated screen shot.

post-7313-1286148967_thumb.png

#1, this is the loading screen without it the program feet like it was lagging and this was not really ideal.

#2 , this is the program is self.

I will also include a clean Rules.ini with the program that will copy to your games folder I was going to have the program build it

but they do that when copy function is faster then compile to file lol.

Honestly, this is mostly a waste of time. Anyone with experience won't touch these with a 10 foot stick. The INIs are not that hard to learn and anyone who needs a GUI editor like this just lacks the necessary ability to create any successful mod. You can continue, but do not expect your tool to be popular as it follows TibEd, which meets with extreme harshness. Plain and simple, we don't like editors; it makes actually helping someone with an issue more difficult than it needs to be.

If you don't want to be shunned out of the community, create an editor that manipulates the INI files directly and has a Visual Studio-style IntelliSense. Do that, and the venture will be worth your time.

Honestly, this is mostly a waste of time. Anyone with experience won't touch these with a 10 foot stick. The INIs are not that hard to learn and anyone who needs a GUI editor like this just lacks the necessary ability to create any successful mod. You can continue, but do not expect your tool to be popular as it follows TibEd, which meets with extreme harshness. Plain and simple, we don't like editors; it makes actually helping someone with an issue more difficult than it needs to be.

If you don't want to be shunned out of the community, create an editor that manipulates the INI files directly and has a Visual Studio-style IntelliSense. Do that, and the venture will be worth your time.

I disagree I already had many people reply on this topic via other means of the site, I am also getting a DLL made to edit the CSF file the other files I am new to but this edits the INI diectly how do you think it works?

Yes agreed people here can do most things with the INI its self and thats all good but some people just starting out would find this useful TibEb is a great starting point but it does lag limits that the first user really should have to stop people from asking silly questions, but what do you mean a Visual Studio style intellisese? this tool as only just started Dev it as plains to do way more in the future but I new it would get boo booed and I new it would be you lol and thats all ok it happens lol then tho you think its not that good as a modder try add some pointers that I have asked for people as your reply was little useless.

Back to the ini option soon as you edit a value in the app its edited in the ini no saving or updating needed the safe setting are there for n00bs to know what should and shouldn't go there

please don't be so closed minded if people kept a mind like that most games would never be modded at all.

Thanks for your reply anyway.

I disagree I already had many people reply on this topic via other means of the site, I am also getting a DLL made to edit the CSF file the other files I am new to but this edits the INI diectly how do you think it works?

We already have tools to edit the CSF. One being the XCC's built in String Editor, and of course Matze's String Editor. Neither of which are hard to use, and don't require an additional editor to use. Load up the CSF, add string, input data, save, done! Besides, a GUI like this is still point and click modding like TibEd. The person behind the desk isn't touching the INI files, which is what I'm trying to emphasize. Point and click is a terrible start.

Yes agreed people here can do most things with the INI its self and thats all good but some people just starting out would find this useful

The problem with starting out with this is that its point and click. No one will want to move on since it's 'easy' and you don't need to know anything. And then when someone has a problem, they ask for help and have not a clue about what we're telling them to do. Like when we ask for code, they can't post it. Makes helping nearly futile.

TibEb is a great starting point but it does lag limits that the first user really should have to stop people from asking silly questions

TibEd for a starting point is like SunEdit2K for a starting point. It's point and click, no learns anything and no one experiments. This is INI files we're talking about, not C++. You don't need a fancy editor to do this. Load the INI files and let people modify them directly with some sort of assistance to notify them of an incorrect value. Direct text editing is all anyone needs for this type of modification.

but what do you mean a Visual Studio style intellisese?

Get the freebie and test it out or google the term, then you'll see what I mean. If you managed to pull it off while directly modifying the content and you would have a worthwhile editor.

I new it would get boo booed and I new it would be you lol

I don't like TibEd and this is shaping up to be no different honestly. I've already said what would improve the quality of the tool.

you think its not that good as a modder try add some pointers that I have asked for people as your reply was little useless.

I've modded the INI files directly since 2003. Trust me when I say that point and click, TibEd style editing is not the way to go.

please don't be so closed minded if people kept a mind like that most games would never be modded at all.

Games are modded without GUI editors and have been for years. All you need is a text editor, free time and the desire to learn. It's that last part people don't have and they're not worth helping.

We already have tools to edit the CSF. One being the XCC's built in String Editor, and of course Matze's String Editor. Neither of which are hard to use, and don't require an additional editor to use. Load up the CSF, add string, input data, save, done! Besides, a GUI like this is still point and click modding like TibEd. The person behind the desk isn't touching the INI files, which is what I'm trying to emphasize. Point and click is a terrible start.

The problem with starting out with this is that its point and click. No one will want to move on since it's 'easy' and you don't need to know anything. And then when someone has a problem, they ask for help and have not a clue about what we're telling them to do. Like when we ask for code, they can't post it. Makes helping nearly futile.

TibEd for a starting point is like SunEdit2K for a starting point. It's point and click, no learns anything and no one experiments. This is INI files we're talking about, not C++. You don't need a fancy editor to do this. Load the INI files and let people modify them directly with some sort of assistance to notify them of an incorrect value. Direct text editing is all anyone needs for this type of modification.

Get the freebie and test it out or google the term, then you'll see what I mean. If you managed to pull it off while directly modifying the content and you would have a worthwhile editor.

I don't like TibEd and this is shaping up to be no different honestly. I've already said what would improve the quality of the tool.

I've modded the INI files directly since 2003. Trust me when I say that point and click, TibEd style editing is not the way to go.

Games are modded without GUI editors and have been for years. All you need is a text editor, free time and the desire to learn. It's that last part people don't have and they're not worth helping.

I don't need free anything I have legal copys of VS.net 2003 and VSPro 2008 and the files your talking about I hope to write dll's for to handle them.

Yes its point and click but your wrong about not been able to get the code, the will be a option simple click that will return the inis section the users as been using and save it to there

slip board, my editor does not make it so simple they do have to read the limits as shown to them but not infored so they can still do what ever its very like editing via the text editor

but this is a direct ini edite the rules will always be done by ini so the real rules never get damages, I do see where your coming from and I am not saying your is bad or wrong but people like me for one whom is dyslexic find it hard to understand file stuctires and so on, I am not that bad with them I been a Geek for so long only the spelling and reading is a problem for my self, but for these games to live on a new way of modding as to start I know the old way is good but 2 many people these days are looking for GUI version of everytihng CLI is not that big in windows anymore.

Please also remeber I stated my project only a day or 2 back and I been busy with other things, I am using also a scripting language as downside to my leaning problems is it takes me froever to take something like C++ in I am able to complie a plugin for my scripting language and have friend looking in to the streaming data in and out of the files like the CSF files comeplex or details info for these files would be helpful.

I might sound like I don't know where your coming from but I do I my self edit the ini file by hand on some parts not all as remebing each section to me is like a gold fish building a space rocket lol.

Yes its point and click but NO it wont take the learing and the debuging way from it like I said there will be a button that have something like Copy code for this section or what ever that will return the section that the users as been muking with

;Game RA2 Version 1.0.1

[sECTION]

Name=Value ; alalala

someting on these lines and should be able to also pull the game version to include in a comment I also want to be able to let people input and put but there own untis and buildins with ani and artwork, in the future WAY in the future, but also I plan it include a way to controll the mods been used so lets say you get RA2 someone makes a mission back the over rides yours the editer will controll with one it will use, once the game editor is seeded in to the game it will include a simple loader that lets you do this it may mean the moders as it include a simple ini file saying mod name versioin and dir its own custom boot images, this is just another idea I have for RedState.

You might think I am bonkers and you might be right but I also plain to use this my self once done I just want peoples ideas and help to make sure it can offer as much as it can.