Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

New Tiberian Dawn Blog Posted

Just a couple of days ago, on Halloween, a new blog update was posted on the official site of the Tiberian Dawn mod for Command & Conquer 3: Tiberium Wars. Its a rather large update covering many newly rendered structures such as the Helipad, Refineries for GDI and Nod, Repair Bay and the always impressive looking Hand of Nod.

tdmod_hand.jpg

Take a look at the full update for the full sized renders.

The extreme vertical arm on the HON looks odd...

How would an arm sticking upwards have to be less vertical??

Correct me if I am wrong, this mod tries to follow the original designs as close as possible right?

However, the Hand of Nod doesn't really resemble the original version in the game?

How doesn't it resemble the original Hand of Nod?

handofnod.jpg

Hmm.. I was referring to an expected arch in the arm, like a flex of the muscle when griping the world. But looking at the original design - I guess they were going for the hand thrust out of the ground gripping the world (which makes sense). I would have expected more tapering of a wide base to a thinner top, rather than the slight angle that exists, that looks from a distance, to have no angle top to bottom.

cc1.jpgCommand-Conquer-The-First-Decade-Mod-TFD-DOS-C-C1_1.gif

Referring to source material, I see my problem is more the height of the arm now... or the height of the exit tunnel in comparison.

I think model is ok. Maybe the arm at the top could be bit shorter though. More like the Renegade Hand of Nod.

830pxcncrhandofnod.jpg

renegadevg.jpg

Even EA's Hand of Nod from C&C 3/KW.

cc3kw.jpg

But in the end I've always liked the Tiberian Sun Hand of Nod....

hod.jpg

Yeah the TS one is great, more so because it seems more functional than the big hand in the sky approach.

Correct me if I am wrong, this mod tries to follow the original designs as close as possible right?

You are wrong. One of the things the project tries to do is re-imagine all things in it to actually look realistic, to make the game look like a realistic war. For the HON, that redesign was sorely needed; the original is based on a fricking block of rock.

It's just like how the weapons factory was redesigned to make it longer so it could actually contain an MCV and Mammoth Tank (which it couldn't in the original game).

We try to find the balance between realism and the original designs; and sometimes that scale goes more towards the 'realism' side.

Oh, and the length of the hand just seems longer because of the fact it's only half into the building behind it, as opposed to being completely in it. If you look at how much it actually sticks out above it, it's pretty much the same.

For the HON, that redesign was sorely needed; the original is based on a fricking block of rock.

I agree, I always though the C&C1 HoN looked a little odd, even back when C&C1 was the only C&C game I owned and had nothing to compare it with.

However, I am not very impressed with this remake either... They need to enlarge the back buildings, I think. Like so:

tmp-66.png

One of the things the project tries to do is re-imagine all things in it to actually look realistic, to make the game look like a realistic war. For the HON, that redesign was sorely needed; the original is based on a fricking block of rock.

Block of rock? You talking about the sandbags put around the structure for more protection. To me that looks very realistic.

Edited by mirza044

Suggestion, make the globe at the top of the tower opaque, add a balcony, maybe a guard... and turn the design into something functional...

ie observation tower etc

re: sonic's pictures

to me they all demonstrate a more obvious taper that is missing from this mod, which as I said is made more obvious because the tower is longer at the front.

(heh - I dislike the tibsun hon most of all.)

Guest Stevie_K
Block of rock? You talking about the sandbags put around the structure for more protection. To me that looks very realistic.

I never saw those as sandbags lol :P

It still looks like a block of rock to me... if those are supposed to be sandbags, they didn't do a very good job on them (although I admit it isn't easy working with such low resolution).

It's a rock, not sandbags in my eyes :P

Sandbags. right.

handmake.gif

I don't think so :P

I was going to hunt down the build-up animation... but too lazy.

Now you've ruined mirza044's denial fantasy, he'll surely never be able to look at the HoN the same way again.

(me likes the farmville HON more than this one.)