Aroenai

Westwood Monopoly Update: 9/23/11

Hello, Aroenai

I downloaded your 32bit installer and it installed the game. It was working fine but I thought the picture was kind of small and thought it might be bc of the small size of your installer (but i don't know how it installed at 21 mb this way) so I deleted the folder in C:\westwood

I had a 200mb iso that I installed (weird that it also installs in C:\westwood for only 21mb) but I couldn't get it to work without prompting for a cd and the patch I used wasn't working.

I tried to reinstall your 32bit installer but its now telling me "Monopoly CD-ROM is already installed. Setup will now exit"

I deleted everything monopoly and tried to start fro the beginning but everytime I run the installer I get this error.

Help, pls. I loved this version of Monopoly when I was in elementary school. No other monopoly compares!! TY :)

Eh? The install size should be 188 MB; it tells you this during setup. How were you determining the size, by selecting all the visible files or by right clicking on the Monopoly folder? The files that would normally be on the CD are marked as hidden to make the save dialog box more manageable (I found it annoying to have to scroll down to see all my saves). Also, what do you mean by small picture?

Shame on you, this isn't Windows 3.1 when you want to remove something use the uninstaller. To fix it so you can reinstall open regedit.exe and delete the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{060ED825-E3F4-47A4-945A-4034D9192673}_is1" key and don't go deleting folders anymore. ;)

Eh? The install size should be 188 MB; it tells you this during setup. How were you determining the size, by selecting all the visible files or by right clicking on the Monopoly folder? The files that would normally be on the CD are marked as hidden to make the save dialog box more manageable (I found it annoying to have to scroll down to see all my saves). Also, what do you mean by small picture?

Shame on you, this isn't Windows 3.1 when you want to remove something use the uninstaller. To fix it so you can reinstall open regedit.exe and delete the "HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\{060ED825-E3F4-47A4-945A-4034D9192673}_is1" key and don't go deleting folders anymore. ;)

TY for the reg-edit help! Mega-shame on me! fixed!

I was right clicking the monopoly folder to see the size - hidden files - that would explain the apparent 21mb size.

By small size I meant that the window for the game is a set size and when I maximize the picture is still small. The window got big but the board and moving images and still same size.

I'm guessing this is the way it is - and I'm ok with that. I only started deleting things because I didn't know any better!

TY again! :)

Whoops, I thought this was covered by Westwood's FAQ but I guess it's only in the late notes on the cd...

Q. Why doesn't the MONOPOLY CD-ROM Game play at full screen?

A. The MONOPOLY CD-ROM Game has been designed to play at

full screen with a 640X480 256 color Windows video driver. If your

Windows has been configured to run at a higher resolution than this

(e.g. 800X600 256 color or 1024X768 256 color), the game will run in

a smaller window. To view the game at full-screen, you will need to

install the 640X480 256 color video driver corresponding to your

video card. Please contact your video card manufacturer for more

information about configuring Windows to run with your video card.

From what I've read about the WinG library, I think everything is drawn to a buffer in chunks (top half at 320x240, and bottom half at 320x240) and then displayed on the screen. This probably would have made it too difficult/slow to do in higher resolutions so they just left it at 640x480.

Edited by Aroenai

Whoops, I thought this was covered by Westwood's FAQ but I guess it's only in the late notes on the cd...

From what I've read about the WinG library, I think everything is drawn to a buffer in chunks (top half at 320x240, and bottom half at 320x240) and then displayed on the screen. This probably would have made it too difficult/slow to do in higher resolutions so they just left it at 640x480.

I took your advice and googled the 640x480 video driver bit and that eventually led me to right clicking the monopoly icon >> properties and going to compatibility - I choose to run in 640x480 screen resolution and it goes full screen! Woot!

Thanks again for your help & for putting out this setup file :)

It's not really nice to let an installer put nearly 200 mb of hidden files on your hard disk though. Not everyone will want to have those hidden. In fact, I personally make my file system show hidden files.

Hello Aroenai, I have the german version of Westwood-Monopoly CD-ROM. Is it possible to make a Win7 x64-Fix for this version? I tryed your setup_cd from post #1... but my system always says: Please insert the Monopoly CD-ROM into your computer now!, although the CD-ROM is inserted :o ... Do you need a Image from my german version, if yes, i could send you an Link via Private-Message??? Greetings from Germany :)

That's fine and dandy, but we try to stray away from any copy protection talk around here. Just against our policies and such, but an installer should be just fine.

Dear Doctor Destiny, yes I know ;) I need only a installfix for my monopoly CD-ROM, because the original installer is based on 16-bit and can't start under windows 7 64-bit edition... Greetings

HansOConner, that's because the installer on page 1 is checking for the English cd. PM me and I can get something worked out.

Sorry it's taken so long for the French version guys, I got a new job and haven't had time to work on it much lately.

On 11.1.2012 at 6:13 PM, Aroenai said:

HansOConner, that's because the installer on page 1 is checking for the English cd. PM me and I can get something worked out.

Sorry it's taken so long for the French version guys, I got a new job and haven't had time to work on it much lately.

Hi there!

I just found this Thread about the Installer for the old Monopoly Game from Westwood. I own the German Version too. I would like to know if you have managed to create an installer for the German Version too? That would be great :) In the meantime i play the Game on VirtualPC on my Windows 7. But it would be really cool to get this game working on Windows 7 itself.

btw: is there a way to get this game back to work to play online games, or is it impossible?

Edited by Einsiedler85