Sign in to follow this  
Gben

Tron Countdown

In about 24 hours, I'll hopefully be watching Tron on the big screen.

And when I say big screen I'm talking the IMAX 3D screen...

IMAX Screen and Sound System

The IMAX Theatre Sydney in Darling Harbour is home to the world's largest cinema screen at 29.42m high by 35.73m wide – covering an area of more than 1,015 square metres. They just don't come any bigger!

IMAX film based giant screen theatres boast some of the world's largest cinema screens. It is made possible by the projection of such large film frames and it will be some time before it can be replicated with digital projection systems. Up to eight storeys high, they are ten times larger than a tradtional cinema screen and fills the whole field of human vision.

Made of stretched vinyl, coated with a reflective silver paint they are stretched taut over a scaffold frame.

With thousands of small perforations they allow sound from speakers positioned behind the screen to play their key role in the total surround sound system.

Sound is critical to the IMAX film experience. The film soundtracks are delivered through a mighty 15,000 watt digital surround sound system manufactured by Sonics Associates Inc, one of the world leaders in sound system design.

The IMAX six channel, high fidelity, motion picture sound system with sub bass plays off three separate CDs each carrying two tracks.

See expanded giant screen footage in Tron Legacy 3D exclusive to IMAX Darling Harbour.

Featuring more than 43 minutes of footage specifically designed to take advantage of the premium IMAX Experience. Seven sequences on The Grid expand on the IMAX screen, allowing audiences to become even more immersed in the massive scope and scale of TRON: Legacy, only in IMAX 3D at Darling Harbour.

"The 3D is as immersive and effortless as Cameron's was in 'Avatar,' and the IMAX presentation will truly take your breath away." - Cinematical

"21st-century effects and a cutting-edge dance score make this a stunning virtual ride" - Variety

At AUD$30 a seat, this is more than 5 times what I normally pay at a local independent cinema, and twice the price of the main cinemas. My first time in the cinema... lets see if it lives up to the hype (the movie and the screen).

In 24 hours - will I be ranting or raving???

:pray:

Probably a little of both I imagine.

I haven't been to a movie theatre in years... :o One of these days... Of cousre by then there won't be any left I suppose. :o

Oh and woot Olivia Wilde in all her 3D glory. ^_^

When I read about IMAX's biggest cinema in the world in Australia, I was like :o :o :o :o :o ..... Canada and US should have deserved to have the biggest IMAX screens in the world.

As for Tron, yeah I will watch it in 3D. The colors and effects in the movie looks more futuristic than Avatar. As for Olivia Wilde, she's another one of those hot and wild actresses.

I'm quite pumped for this film... even if the last time I watched the original was a good 18 odd years ago on VHS :P

I really need to consider hunting down the original 20th Anniversary DVD edition just to get back upto speed.... Although grabbing a cheap copy now and then getting a remastered Blu-Ray edition with the Legacy double pack in around 4 months time is more appealing.

7/10 is the verdict... and I'm being generous.

Reasonable film, but in 5 years there will be nothing worth remembering... while the first time you watch the original TRON is an event you will never forget.

I was glad I saw it at the movies, it looked pretty and all, but the IMAX experience was a waste of money IMO.

Unfortunately the animation of Clue, Jeff Bridges' Cyber Twin, was *horrible*.

He looked plastic and unnatural. Actually he looked more like an animatronic statue from a Disney World Ride.

No attachment/investment to any of the characters.

No sense of wonder at the universe.

I guess one major difference with the first movie, is Jeff was a noob in the universe, and Tron protected him. In this game, the Sam was confident and capable... but not stella in-game. I think in retrospect I wanted some Neo (Matrix) abilities from someone in the game. I wanted some '300' style fighting sequences. I wanted some breathtaking fresh and new ideas.

Instead all I got was some delicious costumes... but hey I'd be happy with a photo in that case.

Keep in mind... I'm a hard marker!

But I don't think you'll miss too much if you waited for the blu-ray...

Like most movies.... I'll wait for the DVD, but I'm not really keen to see this anyway.

Gotta agree with Sonic. I'm kinda doubtful about Tron. Not to mention that I'm pretty hard to please when it comes to movies.

Just watched it. Pretty great! I was really blown away by the AMAZING CGI animation!!!!!! Awesome bright lights and cool races, fight scenes and the setting... OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched it in 3D with some of my pals, a bit disappointed and felt abit cheated by the hype about watching it in friggin' 3D. There weren't much use of 3D at all! If you guys wanna watch this, save some bucks and watch it in normal non-3D.

I love all the references with the past first film, love it!

However somewhere in the middle the story do get a bit boring, but overall it was great, not excellent... :|

Overall maybe of 10 stars I give 8.

Hm, now I'm kinda envious. Gonna watch it soon (if my girl is free >:D). XD. Although I'll take everyone's advice and watch the ordinary version (IMAX and 3D will tear the hell out of my wallet).

Hey if you're girl is free... I'll have her.

Holycrapwinawesome. That was great.

No sense of wonder at the universe.

I'm sorry you can't feel that way.

Heh - I meant more from the character's perspective. A perfunctuary comment at the start and very little else along the way.

Still... I'm a hard marker I admit.