Sign in to follow this  
Sonic

Stargate Universe Cancelled

Can't say I'm say surprised by this. After only 2 seasons Stargate Universe has been cancelled by SyFy in the USA.

http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/12/syfy...er-two-seasons/

Syfy cancels Stargate Universe after two seasons

Destiny‘s mission will come to an abrupt end this season, with Syfy Channel announcing today that it has canceled Stargate Universe after two seasons.

The news was first announced by Syfy’s Craig Engler via Twitter (first reported by Deadline.com). “Syfy will end its original action-adventure series Stargate Universe when the show returns with the final 10 episodes of its second season in the Spring of 2011,” Engler said. “The Stargate franchise — consisting of Stargate SG-1, Stargate Atlantis and Stargate Universe — has aired on Syfy since 2002.

“Syfy has a slate of new scripted projects lined up for 2011 including the series premiere of Being Human on January 17, the recently green lit one-hour drama series Alphas, and the much anticipated Battlestar prequel pilot movie, Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome. Warehouse 13, Eureka, and Haven will also return with new seasons next year.”

Stargate Universe premiered in the fall of 2009 with a larger cast and a very different style from the two previous incarnations of the long-running franchise. Series creators Brad Wright and Robert C. Cooper expressed a desire to do something different after producing over 300 hours of Stargate, and crafted a third installment for the franchise that was a gritty, more realistic character drama.

zrapT.jpg

The series premiered in front of more than 2.3 million viewers in the U.S., but fell to less than 1.5 by the end of the first season. Syfy attempted to revitalize the viewer base with a move to Tuesdays — a successful night for its top-rated summer shows Eureka and Warehouse 13. The move ultimately proved unsuccessful, with SGU averaging less than 1.1 million viewers (Live + Same Day) so far this season.

SGU‘s Tuesday night lead-out companion, Caprica, was cancelled in October after faring even worse in the 10 p.m. time slot.

The production team members have been focused on finishing Season Two and securing a third season, and so far haven’t publicly suggested any plans for a fourth Stargate television series. (Cooper departed Universe earlier this year.)

The 2011-2012 season will mark the first time in 14 years without new episodes of Stargate airing.

The final ten episodes of SGU will air in the spring, picking up where the mid-season finale left off, with “Deliverance.” The second season finale has already been filmed, and is expected to end on a cliffhanger.

I've only seen the first 10 episodes of season 1, for the most part I found it very boring. To much talking and not enough action. But as a Stargate fan I will eventually get around to watching the rest. ****, I'll even by the DVDs when they are released.

Personally for me, SG-1 and SGA were far superior shows. Hopefully one day they can make the SGA movie and finish that story.

Can't say I'm suprised either, I've been watching the season one thus far, and most of the episodes were very dull. Universe felt more mature than SG1 and SGA it just didn't go anywhere.

I've been watching it only because I like Stargate and was remaining loyal. I'm glad this spin-off will finally be over, but this

The second season finale has already been filmed, and is expected to end on a cliffhanger.
disturbs me a bit. Even a bad series needs a real finale. I think if they cancel a series, it should be allowed to create 1 additional episode following their notification for every season it was on air. In this case, 2 seasons = 2 additional episodes in which to tie things up.

Maybe we should merge this with the main Stargate page???

Season 1, like everybody said, was epic failure, it was too much talk and emo-ing around and overall it felt crappy.

Season 2 was kinda picking up a bit, starting to like it a little. I was hoping somehow the crew get replaced by better characters (like the SG1 or Shepherd's team).

But what the hell, gets can... kinda expected.

I've been watching it only because I like Stargate and was remaining loyal. I'm glad this spin-off will finally be over, but this

disturbs me a bit. Even a bad series needs a real finale. I think if they cancel a series, it should be allowed to create 1 additional episode following their notification for every season it was on air. In this case, 2 seasons = 2 additional episodes in which to tie things up.

Yeah its going be an open ended finale, no closure, nothing resolved etc.... it will end much like the Terminator: The Sarah Connor Chronicles series did.

Although SG-1 ended on with a non-plot episode called "Unending", but they knew the were going on to make Ark of Truth to finish the Ori stuff. Ironically for "Unending" it was the last SG-1 episode and it was a ratings success.

Guest Stevie_K
Thank god. Then again, I dislike most "sci-fi".

Sci-fi is awesome!!, I just hate it when they have to make movies. Books are always the best way to experience science fiction in my opinion.

I still feel some potentially good sci-fi shows are such a waste to see them canned, just happen to be in the wrong hands of various goons and airing at the wrong time.

For example, SGU does have the potential of a good show, a couple of characters are pretty neat (Eli, Rush), the CGI Destiny ship and the seed ship is really spectacular, the new iteration of the Stargate variant is incredible, but the rest... what a waste.

Caprica too, it wasn't that bad, but majority of the scenes got carried away with boring drama and stuff.

I mean, come on, can't you guys stick to a better formula and produce better shows?

Aww, the BSG wannabe is getting canceled?

Even a bad series needs a real finale. I think if they cancel a series, it should be allowed to create 1 additional episode following their notification for every season it was on air. In this case, 2 seasons = 2 additional episodes in which to tie things up.

This. ^

SGU producers haven't given up on the series just yet, they are exploring all their options as it says in this story http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/12/prod...ing-sgus-story/. Meanwhile the Stargate Atlantis movie has been shelved "indefinitely" according to this news http://www.gateworld.net/news/2010/12/atla...d-indefinitely/.

Most Stargate fans are now considering all the recent developments the end of the Stargate franchise.

Yep. It honestly looks terrible, what with all the droppings, and cancellations... Plus, the word "indefinitely" has not been associated with good vibes. Indeed, "indefinitely" just might become "never."

Meh, when it comes to storyline and all, I go East. East as in Japan. Pretty deep stuff, and sci-fi too. Which is not to dumb down Western stories; it's just that, in the East, heavy attention is paid to even the most minute details, like characterization, background history, etc.

Just look at Neon Genesis Evangelion. Nice sci-fi blended in with religious and mystical hooey; it's weird too, but in a good way. All the characters are well-developed and fleshed out too.

Most Stargate fans are now considering all the recent developments the end of the Stargate franchise.

And nothing of value is lost.

DD wins.

Edited by Inferno

What is seriously happening to the franchise? Why suddenly after the sucess after 10 seasons in SG-1, 5 seasons in SGA, and everything went down, what is seriously happening???

I think they lost a few of their 'good' writers over the years, that and SGU was just ****ty. :P

Back to your cave Grinch! ^_^

Add in the fact that MGM, who own the Stargate franchise, are bankrupt.

My views on the decline of Stargate are well known... but this news is kinda like C&C. It's needs a break and a reboot.

(But the 3-4 episodes I saw of universe - I really liked.)